tips to add more exercise/activity to my routine

Options
i'm a high school senior (so there's a lot of sitting and inactivity right there). i have a pretty active job after school mondays & tuesdays + saturday mornings (gymnastics coach). i also do gymnastics on thursdays. i wanna start being more active but i'm not sure what/when to add things to my routine - suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated!!

Replies

• madis0nliz
    madis0nliz Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    i forgot to add this - i have a permanently messed up wrist from gymnastics that can make certain exercises (like pushups, hand planks, etc.) difficult. i can tolerate a bit sometimes but i can't always do them/do a lot
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    Options
    During class breaks, you can run around the block or up stairs. Then do longer cardio after school, or before.

People with wrist problems can often do pushups while holding dumbbells, or on your fists on a soft surface.
    Follow a proven strength program, like one from the pinned post, not random stuff on Instagram, etc.

You can still do gymnastics with the wrist??
  • littlegreenparrot1
    littlegreenparrot1 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Is there an easily accessible gym or pool? It's easy to keep the kit in the car and go when you have time.

Is there a park nearby? A lunchtime walk is worthwhike, helps to de-stress and get moving.

Apart from that what would you like to try? As young'uns myself and a friend went to salsa classes every week and had a great time. It really stuck with my friend who has now been going regularly for more than 20 years!

Yoga, a running club, martial arts...I would start with finding out who does free taster sessions and take it from there.
  • madis0nliz
    Options
    Cherimoose wrote: »

You can still do gymnastics with the wrist??

thank you for the suggestions!! unfortunately, i don't have the option to do stairs (my school is one story) and i don't get time during the school day, so everything will have to be before or after school. and about my wrist - i only do low level moves at an intensity i can tolerate (walkovers, kickovers, stretches, cartwheels, roundoffs, etc.). if my wrist is bothering me that day, i either do them with that hand in a fist or i just do them one-handed.

• deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    one of the things i do to increase my steps when doing housework - make extra loops - so increase of folding all my laundry and carrying it to my bedroom in a basket - i carry is one pair of socks at a time - sure its only 50-100 steps, but those add up over the course of doing a basket of laundry
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    edited November 2019
    Options
    Does your school have a track? Stadium bleachers? You can download the C25K app and start running on the track after school or you can walk/run the stadium bleacher stairs. If not, is there someplace you can go after school before heading home that has stairs or a place to walk? Some people walk laps around the mall if you don't have a safe place to walk outside.

You can also check out programs like " You are Your Own Gym" that are strength training moves that don't require equipment and can likely be done in your bedroom. There are also plenty of youtube videos available for similar types of strength training, light cardio or yoga.
  • madis0nliz
    Options
    one of the things i do to increase my steps when doing housework - make extra loops - so increase of folding all my laundry and carrying it to my bedroom in a basket - i carry is one pair of socks at a time - sure its only 50-100 steps, but those add up over the course of doing a basket of laundry

this is a good idea!! thank you!!
  • madis0nliz
    Options
    lporter229 wrote: »
    Does your school have a track? Stadium bleachers? You can download the C25K app and start running on the track after school or you can walk/run the stadium bleacher stairs. If not, is there someplace you can go after school before heading home that has stairs or a place to walk? Some people walk laps around the mall if you don't have a safe place to walk outside.

You can also check out programs like " You are Your Own Gym" that are strength training moves that don't require equipment and can likely be done in your bedroom. There are also plenty of youtube videos available for similar types of strength training, light cardio or yoga.

my school doesn’t have a track or bleachers. or any sports at all lol (but i wish it did). days that i work i have to go right after school, but i could check out & try those programs/ideas on the days i’m off. thank you!!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,242 Member
    Options
    There's a thread here where people shared their ideas for increasing daily life (non-exercise) calorie expenditure, also known as NEAT (non-exercise activity thermogenesis):

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10610953/neat-improvement-strategies-to-improve-weight-loss/p1

Some of those would apply while still in school.
  • sammivictoria1
    sammivictoria1 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    You can do some HIIT cardio high interval training. I loce this technique. It burns fat but not muscle so you don’t have to worry about losing muscle. You can go on treadmill or stair master and for first minute go slow and controlled then for 30 seconds go as fast as you can then back to slow! Repeat 10 times !
  • AmyG1982
    AmyG1982 Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    I’ve started doing squats while I’m waiting for things like my coffee to brew or while I’m brushing my teeth lol
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options

LOL. I’d rather get the laundry done faster then go outside for a walk!
  • m_onamission
    m_onamission Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I've recently started focusing on getting more active every day too, and I've found it useful to think more about how I can incorporate it more into things I'm already doing (feels more sustainable to me than starting lots of new things!).

For example, I see friends a few times a week anyway, but have started asking if they'd like to go for a walk/swim/climb instead of going for coffee/dinner - and some of those things have now turned into weekly appointments!

How much do you walk every day and is there a way to increase that? I've changed my commute so I walk about 45-60 mins every day (as opposed to 20-30), and make more of an effort to have lunch away from my desk/schedule meetings in different buildings. Obviously that doesn't apply to you, but are there ways in which you could build that into your day? Is there anywhere to walk to to eat lunch for example?

I guess the other question is why you want to be more active - weight loss/higher calorie expenditure, improve strength/flexibility/endurance, generally feeling healthier, feeling more relaxed? There are lots of fitness videos online for home workouts or yoga, but it might be helpful to think about what you'd like to achieve when you pick something else to add to your routine. It's easier to make time for something when you know why!