Geek, Mom, Do I have time?

Well well well... If it isn't MFP again. I know you. I remember you. Time to dust you off and start anew.

After having a child, let's just say time ate itself up, and there's precious little for fun and me time, let alone eating healthy and exercise. But along with high blood pressure and wanting to be around for the little tyke, this is an effort to make myself healthier.

I don't care about the weight. I'm sexy, I'm confident and I love myself - what I DO care about, is my health and mentality. I know myself. I know stepping on the scales for me becomes a mental burden and obsession.

So.. Anyone who can help me... Chat to me now and then.. Have a bit of banter with... Talk geeky stuff.. I'd be grateful.

Replies

• emmies_123
    emmies_123 Posts: 513 Member
    Fellow geek, started my fitness journey almost a year ago. Don't have a kid, but do have limited time to myself =)
    Here for you if you need a friend =)
  • VixenMerai
    VixenMerai Posts: 26 Member
    Thanks Emmies, mind if I add you?
  • shaf238
    shaf238 Posts: 4,021 Member
    Congratulations on the bubba :)
  • VixenMerai
    shaf238 wrote: »
    Congratulations on the bubba :)

Thanks... He's 2 now so I'm just starting to get back into cooking healthier meals.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    There are 168 hours in a week. You have time, but it's a matter of prioritization and time management.

Welcome aboard!
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Your child will learn from your example, so if you want him to prioritize his well being when he's an adult, then it's important for you to prioritize yours while he's growing up.

Healthy meals are always a good thing to get them hooked on early!!!

And being active...even just walking around the playground while he plays instead of sitting, every little bit helps!
  • Alia_R
    Alia_R Posts: 410 Member
    Your child will learn from your example, so if you want him to prioritize his well being when he's an adult, then it's important for you to prioritize yours while he's growing up.

Healthy meals are always a good thing to get them hooked on early!!!

And being active...even just walking around the playground while he plays instead of sitting, every little bit helps!

Exactly this, my friend, exactly this. 🤗
  • Kathryn247
    Kathryn247 Posts: 570 Member
    I too am a geek. Exercise really cuts into my World of Warcraft time, but I make it work. :)
    Feel free to add me!
  • ElizabethKalmbach
    ElizabethKalmbach Posts: 1,416 Member
    Kathryn247 wrote: »
    I too am a geek. Exercise really cuts into my World of Warcraft time, but I make it work. :)
    Feel free to add me!

Treadmill desk, my friend! Best efficiency improvement I've made all year. I don't have to feel guilty about two hours of computer time if I was walking the whole time...
  • bstover217
    bstover217 Posts: 15 Member
    Friend request sent. Fellow geek with a 5 year old trying to get healthy
  • ellietucker2020
    ellietucker2020 Posts: 2 Member
    Have sent friend request, fellow mum to a toddler, kinda geeky 🤷‍♀️ I guess. Trying to be healthy so I can actually watch my kids grow up x
  • merph518
    merph518 Posts: 702 Member
    I'll send a request as well. My six year old daughter was a big part of what got me serious about my health this year. Not only do I want to be able to keep up with her, but I don't want her to learn bad habits because of me. A bit over halfway to my goal with 102 lbs lost so far.
  • oh_itsjustjazz
    oh_itsjustjazz Posts: 2 Member
    Hi ! Same! How geeky can we get? Anyone watch mandalorian?
  • oh_itsjustjazz
    oh_itsjustjazz Posts: 2 Member
    Also, today’s food diary was eaten before deciding to watch what I eat lol. Please disregard all the naughty food choices 🙈
  • VixenMerai
    Hi guys, thanks for all the adds!!
  • Whydahdad71
    Whydahdad71 Posts: 316 Member
    Do you think that someday Artificial Intelligence will play some role in overall health and well-being?
  • Versicolour
    Versicolour Posts: 7,164 Member
    Do you think that someday Artificial Intelligence will play some role in overall health and well-being?

I hope so. My intelligence is not working so well. Or at least my motivation is not working so well
  • merph518
    merph518 Posts: 702 Member
    Hi ! Same! How geeky can we get? Anyone watch mandalorian?

Watched the first couple episodes. Enjoying it so far, looking forward to more. I'm not used to having to wait for episodes anymore after being spoiled by the Netflix model.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,130 Member
    Also a bit of a geek here.

If you're accurate about your calorie intake/output the bodyweight scales are not a necessity (although helpful with trend over time). There are plenty of other ways to measure progress - the fit of your clothes, photos, measurements, etc.

Consider setting yourself health, wellbeing & fitness goals rather than weight. For me it's thing like making sure I do my yoga & meditation, getting plenty of protein & fibre, reducing time spent watching tv, etc.
  • mechancete
    mechancete Posts: 4 Member
    edited November 2019
    Also a geek who is married to the self proclaimed King of the Nerds. Sending friend requests and please feel free to send requests to me. Looking forward to some geek debates and mutual support.