Interval walking/running

Options
Has anyone else had this experience? Last summer I "walked briskly" 6 days a week for at least one hour, often 1.5 hours, with one day off a week. My legs were in great shape BUT - I gained weight, did not lose. I think because all that brisk walking increased my appetite.

Then i read about "interval walking" which is two minutes fast, two slow, or one minute fast, one slow - did this for 20 minutes once a day (with 5 minutes warm up, 5 minutes cool down) and lost weight. I've also heard about interval running having a similar effect. what I liked best was less time required and it felt good.

Replies

• Chosen4Greatness
    Options
    The reason why interval cardio training is so effective is because of the rapid change of heart rate going up and down while doing the intervals. Its almost like the body is being tricked with constant fluctuation of the heart beat which causes you to burn more calories and in return you loose weight!!!!
  • mydeloo78
    mydeloo78 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Interval training can be used during any exercise, not just walking/running. Its a great way to keep your body guessing and yes, it does burn more calories than steady state. Its an awesome addition to any exercise routine.
  • CathVan
    CathVan Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Thank you for posting!! I'm going to start "interval walking" today! I've been walking on my treadmill for months for 1.5 hours/day at a 3.5 pace... Iand nothing is really happening. Hope it makes a difference!