POST WORKOUT MEALS? (Edit post)

Options
Do you guys take shakes for protein? Which ones? or Which ones would you recommend ?
What do you guys do for carbs? Cereal, while rice?

I was reading somewhere that the post workout meals are the most important meal, they suggested a protein shake but I want to know what you guys use?

I am barely starting to workout... again, but I want to do it right and all the way :D

Replies

• dryfli
    dryfli Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    if i am not eating lunch or dinner right after i work out, banana, water or chobani yogurt and water.
  • duck4over
    duck4over Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I hate protein shakes, so I have a glass of chocolate skim milk and a banana.
  • MrsRadder
    MrsRadder Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I want to know if anyone does a protein shooter before their workout? If so what do you take/mix?
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,714 Member
    Options
    Do you guys take shakes for protein? Which ones? or Which ones would you recommend ?
    What do you guys do for carbs? Cereal, while rice?

I was reading somewhere that the post workout meals are the most important meal, they suggested a protein shake but I want to know what you guys use?

I am barely starting to workout... again, but I want to do it right and all the way :D
    Nitrcore 24. Already has the carbs in the shake.
  • nenanvme
    nenanvme Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I try to have a protein shake, and put fruit in it. I use a brand from Walmart, it's the cheapest and when I was thinking of getting a lap-band surgery that what they recommended me to use.

as far as carbs go, I cook white rice and whole wheat pasta..
  • bens_mommy
    bens_mommy Posts: 219
    Options
    I love Muscle Milk (chocolate of Cafe Latte) to drink right after working out. My gym is right next door to a Fresh and Easy, so I can waltz right in there (haters gonna hate on my post-workout swag), buy some muscle milk, and gulp it down on the drive home. It fills me up while I take a shower, and gives my body time to cool down before I eat a full meal.

As far as carbs, I love white and brown rice and pasta (whole wheat or not, depends on what we have in the cupboard). I don't put anything on the rice (except maybe tuna). I also love pitas and tortillas!
  • isyslove
    isyslove Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    This sounds great a 2x1! haha
  • isyslove
    isyslove Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Thanks too bad a Fresh and Easy are too far from me but on my free time I'll have to check it out! :D
  • LycosNyctereutes
    Options
    Isyslove- if your workout is an less than an hour or low impact, you probably shouldn't eat until your next meal time, just drink plenty of water. You don't want to replace all the calories you just burned. Basically, high protein post-workout snacks are best left to people who don't have a lot of weight to lose, IMHO- but I see your goal is just 20lbs and you are not in bad shape, so you probably should try a shake or even half a serving of one after a good workout. Other good post-workout meals are things that have protein and carbs from whole grains without much fat, such as stir-fry chicken w/veggies, chicken w/whole wheat pasta or brown rice, egg whites and whole wheat toast, etc. Personally, I like the ease with which shakes go down, when I was lifting many years ago, I couldn't stand to eat after a grueling workout.
  • PokenStick
    PokenStick Posts: 204
    Options
    Depends on what you're doing for your workout and your goals.

A lot of what you hear about post work out meals, refueling glycogen, and required protein shakes comes from bro-science body builders.

If you're moderately working out, it's not so serious. Eat something light before working out, eat something balanced after working out.

If your goal is to lose weight, it's very easy to go over board and hinder your weight loss by eating a ton of carbs post workout. I know of one woman who after going for a brisk walk around the neighborhood while curling 1lb dumbbells would come home and re-fuel her glycogen by eating a big bowl of pasta. I asked why did it and her reply was that post workout she could eat any carbs she wanted because it went straight to her muscles.

*face palm*
  • dryfli
    dryfli Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    i agree with others posting here. if you start drinking too much protein shakes and fuel bars and whatever, you are going to ruin the work you have had done. stick with a 100 cal snack or so. a banana, a yogurt or a piece of fruit and plain ole water. the rest is just hype. if you have a crazy workout, ie. bike 20+ miles or run 10 miles or something like that where you are at a high level for more than 1 hr, thats a diff story, may need more. can you imagine eating a 200 or 300 or 400 calorie post work out 'snack" and then adding on a meal to top that off? i burn hard at 60 min of body combat and only take off 500 calories or so during that. a few weeks ago we hiked up a mtn here (short hike) and we hiked up and down in 140 mins on a hot day. also, biked 24 miles over a little less than 2 hrs. refueled both of those days.