Jogging

Options
I started walking and lifting weights but I know I need to get some jogging in my workout but I am not motivated to do it.

Replies

• ElizabethKalmbach
    ElizabethKalmbach Posts: 1,416 Member
    Options
    ... Why do you need to jog? I mean, if you *like* to jog, great, but many fitness and weight loss goals are perfectly attainable for those who only run if zombies are *actually chasing them.* (That would be me.)

Basically, what end goal do you have that requires jogging?
  • AliNouveau
    AliNouveau Posts: 36,287 Member
    Options
    Just do it. Or find a cardio activity you are motivated to do.

I hate jogging but do it because I can get a really good calorie burn relatively quickly. I'll complain the entire time I run and put it off but I know I'll burn lots and then be done so I make myself go. Well when it's nice out.
  • Go_Deskercise
    Go_Deskercise Posts: 1,630 Member
    Options
    Then don't jog lol .... Why do you need too?
  • ElizabethKalmbach
    ElizabethKalmbach Posts: 1,416 Member
    Options
    My point is, if you don't have a goal that requires specific running endurance, then you're better off doing something you *like* and will *do* than you are doing something that you think you should do but never get around to.

Jogging *would* be more efficient than all the walking I do, but my knee is stupid, and I still haven't managed to nail down a stride that doesn't give me shin splints. I know I *could* fix my stride with enough practice, but I prefer to row instead. It's also pretty efficient, involves my arms a lot more than just jogging would, and it doesn't hurt any of my past or current injuries, or have a learning curve for me to get over in order to be comfortable.

I also enjoy swimming, which again, has a pretty decent burn and is something I don't normally mind doing. I'm off it for now, though, because the chlorinated pool water doesn't agree with my fabulous pink hair. But since I have multiple options, it's not the end of the world if I decide to forgo the chlorine damaged hair in favor of glorious pink damaged hair.

Go with what you know you'll do, day in and day out without minding so much that you have to really push yourself to get the job done.
  • rileyfamily811
    rileyfamily811 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I agree totally. I enjoyed running when I was younger. I have had several leg injuries in the past 3 years. My Achilles, my calves and hamstrings. I guess I am just nervous of injuring something else
  • RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    Options
    I agree totally. I enjoyed running when I was younger. I have had several leg injuries in the past 3 years. My Achilles, my calves and hamstrings. I guess I am just nervous of injuring something else

You can speak with a doctor and they can help you determine if you are fit for jogging again.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    If you’re looking for cardio, consider swimming, aqua aerobics, cycling, spinning, etc
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    If you don't want to jog, don't! find something else you would like, try out different things and see.
  • Biggiwig69
    Biggiwig69 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Think about all the benefits that come with cardio. Maybe that gives you a little motivation 😀
    increased heart muscle strength.
    improved cholesterol.
    stress reduction.
    lowered blood pressure.
    mood and self-esteem boost.
    weight control.
    improved sleep.
  • nighthawk584
    nighthawk584 Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    With my cardio, I most do spin bike sessions. Jogging is way too hard on my joints! I would watch it if you've had all those leg injuries. Walking is great just takes more time.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    you don't need to jog for cardio - other options include hiking, cycling, swimming, rowing, dance - anything that pushes your HR is cardio
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    there are other options. but if you would like to give it a go...those sound mostly like overuse injuries.
    to avoid them again:
    get fitted for running shoes at a local store
    try to find a plan to use. couch25k for example. there are others out there
    go slow. most people push too hard when they start. go slow and then go a little slower.
    check out local groups. and groups online. they are a wealth of information
  • Shortgirlrunning
    Shortgirlrunning Posts: 1,020 Member
    Options
    It’s absolutely not necessary to jog. Walking is fine or there are a million other types of cardio you could do. Don’t force yourself to do things you hate because you won’t stick with it.
  • RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    Options
    It’s absolutely not necessary to jog. Walking is fine or there are a million other types of cardio you could do. Don’t force yourself to do things you hate because you won’t stick with it.

In his response, it sounds like he does enjoy it but that he's worried about injury because he's had so many past injuries.
  • rileyfamily811
    rileyfamily811 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Wow so much great feedback.
  • Patrick456
    Patrick456 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Its is a great stress reliever and mood enhancer. Also there is the runners high you sometimes get thats a rush. I started back running a couple of months ago and locing it.
  • cbihatt
    cbihatt Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    jm_1234 wrote: »
    If you just want to run because you want to run....

My recommendation is use a treadmill. It gets rid of the variables that can contribute to injury - too high of an incline/decline, hard surface, non-flat surface (a slightly angled sidewalk caused me IT band pain), unstable ground, temperatures, skin cancer. The treadmill also builds mental toughness. When you do finally run outside time and miles will fly by.

Then just start very easy, so easy you can't stand it and build from there. For example, walking warm-up, 5 minute easy jog, walking cool down, then stretching. If you want extra cardio then get on a stationary bike right after your cool down and do stretching after your bike. Then the next weeks up your 5 minute jog a little.

As far as motivation, watch tv on your phone or listen to an audio book / podcast while running.

I agree with this. The treadmill is an awesome tool for any runner, especially when you are just starting out. With your injury history, you should also take it slow. Don’t push yourself to progress too quickly. You need to take the time to build up a good base.