Blood Donation

Options
I'm going to be giving blood this afternoon. I'm not planning a workout today, other than playing fetch with and walking the dog. Are there any other adjustments I should be making? I don't need to increase calories for today or anything like that, do I?

Replies

• mydeloo78
    mydeloo78 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Be sure to drink lots of water.
  • mrsbeck
    mrsbeck Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Oh, water's handled, haha. I have a 20 oz bottle on my desk that I refill 4-5 times a day. I wasn't sure if the loss of blood during a donation is enough to trigger a higher energy need for the day or not.
  • moushtie
    moushtie Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    I don't know about a higher energy need, but an extra helping of iron wouldn't go amiss.
  • Libbyly
    Libbyly Posts: 175
    Options
    Have something to eat about an hour before. I often get sent away as my iron is too low so maybe a meaty salad or something and some OJ
  • Harkins86
    Harkins86 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I would just make sure you have some calories for a good high energy snack after the donation and maybe don't go crazy tomorrow either. Your body need time to adjust. Good on you for doing it though!! :smile:
  • clburchett
    Options
    We are hosting a blood drive for our Son's birthday this year. (a way for us to help give back since he has needed 21 transfusions in 22 months) They have asked us to make sure to let everyone know to eat a good meal and drink plenty of fluids before donating. Thank you for taking the time to donate today. Did you know that your one donation can help save 3 lives? 1 donor help our son twice last week!
  • jazzy020106
    jazzy020106 Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    They usually suggest you have a good meal right after. They also usually have sugary drinks and some snacks for you to choose from.. At least they do on the blood bus that I normally give blood on. They do tell you no smoking for a few hours after.. I have never heard anything about not being able to exercise, but I have never asked!
  • jazzy020106
    jazzy020106 Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    We are hosting a blood drive for our Son's birthday this year. (a way for us to help give back since he has needed 21 transfusions in 22 months) They have asked us to make sure to let everyone know to eat a good meal and drink plenty of fluids before donating. Thank you for taking the time to donate today. Did you know that your one donation can help save 3 lives? 1 donor help our son twice last week!

Aw!!! This is so awesome! I usually donate once a month =] I like thinking I saved someone! Especially someones baby!!