Gallbladder Problems?

Options
I was recently told by my doctor that I have gallbladder problems. I don't have stones yet, but I have something similar to sand? My doctor told me if I can maintain a decent diet, I won't have to have it removed. I've been attempting a diet, but there are a lot of foods I'm realizing I can't eat. Apparently corn, pork, and other things are supposed to be cut out of the picture. I'm really confused as to what I can eat anymore.. Unless I want to eat beats and drink cucumber juice, ugh! (No offense if you like those things, but I don't.) Do any of you have any advice?

Thanks. :smile:

Replies

• Msaip
    Msaip Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    I can't say I do. None of those foods did it to me. I had the complete opposite when it came to reactions. I had it removed anyway :( Sometimes I wish I had it back cause there are some things that I love but dont love me
  • kac7700
    kac7700 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Gallbladder issues are very common in women who have "rapid" weight loss. I lost 40 lbs. in about 6 months several years ago, and had to have it removed. I've been just fine without it - and I can't handle greasy food, which is a bonus side effect (well, it will if you work your body into and keep pumping greasy food in...thus the reason I am here again!)

You'll learn what bothers you and what doesn't.
  • tohealth4me
    tohealth4me Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    My husband had "sludge" in his gallbladder, but no stones. High fibre would actually set off an attach as well - too much broccoli once and too much raisin bran...

His most severe attack actually happened after he had been busy at work and skipped lunch, came home late and ate 2 bowls of raisin bran. It was so severe that the doctors recommended he remove it. He was 34, and had never been overweight in his life.

The list he got while waiting for his surgery included the usual "no fried foods" but also added dairy, red meat, broccoli, cabbage, high fibre grains, and refined sugar. Not sure if it was unusually strict as they were trying to ensure he didn't have anymore attacks before they could get it removed.
  • JulieF11
    JulieF11 Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    Bummer! I'm so sorry you are dealing with that!

You may want to get a few cook books from the library. Most recipes in the South Beach diet cook books will work well. I'm sure you have heard to lean toward a more vegetarian type diet... consider some foods to avoid:

* Animal fats like beef, pork, butter and lard.
    * Higher fat Dairy products such as whole milk, soft and hard types of cheese.
    * Hydrogenated oils and fats such as mayonnaise and margarine.
    * Refined carbohydrates like sweets and white bread.
    * Deep-fried foods
    * Stimulants such as black tea, coffee (stimulates gallbladder contraction, causing a gallbladder attack), alcohol, especially cocktails and hard liquors.
    * Carbonated beverages such as colas and sodas.
    * Artificial additives, sweeteners, colorings and preservatives.
    * Eggs should be avoided as they contain high amounts of cholesterol.
  • kapeluza
    kapeluza Posts: 3,434 Member
    Options
    I have gallstones and it sucks! I get horrible pains sometimes to the point where I need Vicodin (my doctor prescribed me some for when I have episodes). Avoid fatty foods.
  • mallorybriann
    mallorybriann Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    I just had mine removed in July. OMG attacks are the worst pain I have ever experienced. I hope you dont ever have them lol
    I couldn't drink alcohol, eat red meat, dairy, fatty foods, greasy foods, some chocolates...
  • mylabaila
    Options
    I had mine removed 2 years ago, I was 24. If I had been given the choice, I would have done everything I could to keep my gallbladder! You are so young! If you are serious about getting healthy, I would work with a dietician, maybe your doctor could give you a referral? They will help you make meal plans and help you figure out what works for you! I will echo what people have said, fatty foods are the WORST! I would also advise trying to eat smaller, more frequent meals as a larger meal will put more demand on your gallbladder to produce enough bile to digest your meal. A smaller meal will give it a break. I also read that exercise helps maintain the gallbladder's ability to expand and contract, so there's another reason to exercise! Good luck!
  • NOLA_Meg
    NOLA_Meg Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I had mine removed 2 years ago, I was 24. If I had been given the choice, I would have done everything I could to keep my gallbladder! You are so young! If you are serious about getting healthy, I would work with a dietician, maybe your doctor could give you a referral? They will help you make meal plans and help you figure out what works for you! I will echo what people have said, fatty foods are the WORST! I would also advise trying to eat smaller, more frequent meals as a larger meal will put more demand on your gallbladder to produce enough bile to digest your meal. A smaller meal will give it a break. I also read that exercise helps maintain the gallbladder's ability to expand and contract, so there's another reason to exercise! Good luck!

I had mine out when I was 19. It isn't really something that can always be avoided- even if you eat healthy. A healthy diet now may prolong the formation of stones and therefore, the time which you keep the gb, however, there are many other factors involved than just diet. I would do some research and also talk to your doctor about recommendations. It is one of those things that will differ by person- so some trial and error is needed. You probably won't notice any dramatic correlation between food and pain until you have stones or unless some of the grains get caught in a duct and you have a gb attack.