C25K feedback

Options
Just finished Day 2 of the C25K plan! So far so good, super excited about it! I have no running experience... Just wondering if anyone had done it, or could share any opinions or results. Thanks!!

Replies

• robersonj
    robersonj Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I am on Day 2 of Week 3. I like it so far. My knees have been hurting so I am hoping that will stop soon!
  • epj78
    epj78 Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    I've done it twice and now back a third time --- all with great results!! The only reason I had to "do over" was because I got lazy.

I've been able to run 1/2 marathons after the first two times. I am NOT a runner and never did gain too much speed - but enjoyed jogging. Doing it again now in hopes of jogging another 1/2 in May. I'm one that only finds jogging enjoyable after the first three miles - so frankly, I have to force C25K - but it is so worth it!!
  • pbgx
    pbgx Posts: 2
    Options
    Great job! My running days are behind me, but we bike all of the time. Keep it up, it's a great program!
  • ukhennin
    ukhennin Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I'm sure you'll get tons of responses on this as C25K seems to be pretty popular on here. I think it's the perfect way to start running and it worked for me. Just stick to the program and don't try to modify it (i.e. run more often). It will ramp you up slowly but surely. I'm two weeks removed from my first 5k and I loved it. I'm signed up for my second and I'm continuing my training with my sights now set on a half marathon. And to think, back in early spring I was sitting on the couch downing ice cream and M&M's while playing ps3. Now I'm a (slow) runner!
  • pa_jorg
    pa_jorg Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    I am on Day 2 of Week 3. I like it so far. My knees have been hurting so I am hoping that will stop soon!

I'm not doing C25K, but I am starting to run. My knees hurt too and I posted on the boards. Someone said to strengthen my hips because they're most likely the problem and my knees would feel better. Sure enough, it's been working, so try hip exercises.
  • johnny_k
    johnny_k Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Never was a runner, but I finished the program. I loved it and I still run 30 minutes 3 times a week. Don't be intimidated, you can definitely do it.
  • wildside79
    Options
    lots of threads already on it. I went from not being able to run for a minute at a decent pace to running a 5k in just under 25:30. IMO - works great, starting to work on a 10 min now.
  • vodkaswigger
    Options
    Hiya, I finished it a few months ago and now run 10k a few times a week, its a fab programme, stick with it and well done xx
  • abg0220
    abg0220 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I'm on week 4 day 2. Previously I had no running experience and I have improved so much since that first week. I am becoming addicted to runnung!! I loaded lots of good songs on my iphone and I zone out. So relaxing!
  • FatUncleRob
    Options
    I started C25K back in late April / early May.

One of the best things I ever did. :smile: I struggled a bit around week 3 or 4 due to some health issues but managed to finish it up in time for my first (and only, so far) 5K on June 21st.

At first I just wanted to be able to finish the 5K, but by the end of the program I was able to run it in 31:30.

The best thing was that it got me off my butt and helped me develop the running habit. I'm now running about 20 miles a week and really enjoying it.

My tips would be:

1) Make sure you have good running shoes (not just a pair of sneakers that you got from some big fitness chain store). Find a real running store and get some advice on the right shoe for your feet and running gait.

2) Take it nice and slow. Avoid the temptation to rush ahead. Make sure you take your rest days.

3) Try to walk for at least 20 minutes every day (even on rest days) it will help prevent your muscles stiffening up and getting sore.

Good luck and enjoy it! :happy:
  • kitinboots
    kitinboots Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    I skipped straight ahead to 4 weeks in, did up to 6 and got bored so now I've skipped to b210k.
    Ive always been fairly fit so I wanted something more challenging. I like to get home after a run feeling like I've done something. I wasn't breaking a sweat before.
    I do think it's a good program though, it taught me how to pace myself.
  • hockeymom180
    hockeymom180 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I'm on week 7 and am a little amazed that I'm running 25 minutes in a row. Without stopping. I'm not going very fast -- no, seriously, it's pretty slow -- but I figure it's better than nothing and it's more than I was doing two months ago! I don't worry about pace or speed or how far I'm getting, just the elevated heart rate for 25 minutes. So far, so good!
  • Garrett1234
    Garrett1234 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Will be starting it soon myself. Going to try it barefoot on a treadmill.
  • socialite1
    socialite1 Posts: 109
    Options

I'm not doing C25K, but I am starting to run. My knees hurt too and I posted on the boards. Someone said to strengthen my hips because they're most likely the problem and my knees would feel better. Sure enough, it's been working, so try hip exercises.

Performing plyometric exercises will strengthen your legs, hips, calves, etc. to help you become a better, faster runner. Try doing these exercises on your off days for better results.
  • johnny_k
    johnny_k Posts: 150 Member
    Options

Be sure you've also got good running shoes. Your shoes can make a huge difference.
  • dgoods123
    Options
    I started the C25K and on day 1 of week 2 my knee was bothering me during the run segments. Dumb me, I kept pushing to get through the session and by the end of the session I HAD to stop running. Tendonitis - 1 cortisone shot, 2 weeks on crutches, 3 weeks unable to work out!

I just got back to working out, no running or elliptical, so it's swimming & biking. Leg still aches, but it's bearable.

My point is, if it hurts, STOP. I wish I could go back and redo that one session. There's no telling how long before I can try again, or if I ever will be able to.
  • vlc1979
    vlc1979 Posts: 227
    Options
    I went through a beginers running class this summer and we followed a different program. When I was done w/ that one I picked up the C25K in the middle of the program. I graduate Friday!! I love how it is broken down and how it slowly pushes you to go longer. Keep with it!
    For leg pain I strongly rec. a foam roller!!! The IT band can cause problems w/ the hips and the knees.
  • DRetel
    DRetel Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I'm on week 6, day 3. It's been getting harder, but I'm enjoying it!
  • mrivera713
    mrivera713 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I can't wait to get back at it! I LOVE C25K. I had to stop at W3 because I overdid it! I wanted to run EVERYDAY! When I go back, I'm gonna stick to the plan... 3 days a week...

Have fun!
  • jwestnewton
    Options
    Funny you would say that, because the only place I'm hurting is my hips... I couldn't figure out why it would affect me there so much.