blisters

Options
I've been trying to run between 3-5 miles a day for the past three months, and suddenly I'm getting blisters on the back of my right heel. I got my running shoes three months ago when I first started running again. I've tried taking out the laces and re-lacing them (my fathers suggestion) and that didn't seem to help. I don't want to buy a new pair seeing how I just bought new running shoes, but I'm getting a new blister almost everytime I run.

Any suggestions? Please help.

Replies

• ukhennin
    ukhennin Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    What kind of socks are you wearing? Socks can make a huge difference. Cotton is a no no.
  • chuckyp
    chuckyp Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Blisters are typically from friction, so the laces were a good thing to check. Maybe you are heel striking and getting some braking action that makes your heel rub in your shoe. Maybe a shorter stride and more of a midfoot strike would help?
  • runnermel
    runnermel Posts: 278
    Options
    what kind of socks are you wearing???? make sure that they do not have ANY cotton in them. this is very, very important!!
  • PeachyKeene
    PeachyKeene Posts: 1,645 Member
    Options
    Get some moleskin from a pharmacy. Maybe a different kind of sock. Mine got blisters when I first started going longer distances. This is what i did.
  • runnermel
    runnermel Posts: 278
    Options
    What kind of socks are you wearing? Socks can make a huge difference. Cotton is a no no.

great minds think alike! lol
  • Amysgetnfit
    Options
    If they are new they really shouldnt be giving you blisters, check your shoe to see what is rubbing you, if they are defective maybe you can return them,also try putting those big square bandaids where you are getting the blistter as added protection.... just a suggestion.
  • xAdrianax
    xAdrianax Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    You need double layered sport socks, they stop rubbing of the skin whether its the shoe or the socks you are wearing - this will most probably help!
  • rmartin72
    rmartin72 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    This is really good information. I'm having the same problem with my feet with blisters. Thank you for the great information. I hope everyone is having a great Wednesday!!

Robert
  • Ueropa
    Ueropa Posts: 73
    Options
    Wow! Thanks for all the replies and super fast! I am wearing cotton socks :blushing:

What kind of socks should I get?
  • exacerbe
    exacerbe Posts: 447 Member
    Options
  • goron59
    goron59 Posts: 890 Member
    Options
    Out of curiosity, why not cotton socks? I wear cotton socks and don't get blisters - just lucky I guess :)
  • Ckuykendall2
    Ckuykendall2 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    yeah i dont understand why you cant wear cotton? but anywho my suggestin is just put bandaides or some sort of bandages where your getting the blisters and it should prevent it
  • ukhennin
    ukhennin Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Cotton absorbs moisture and keeps it next to your feet which causes the friction that leads to blisters. You want a technical fabric that will wick away the sweat into the shoe that's designed to take it.

I'm wearing these right now:

http://www.amazon.com/FEETURES-Elight-Ultra-MEDIUM_12-CARB_ELECT_GRN/dp/B004LXYDTQ/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1314801160&sr=8-6

But I've found cheaper versions made by Champion at Target.
  • Ueropa
    Options
    Thanks for the sock suggestions :). I've tried bandaids but I sweat like it's my job when I work-out so the band-aids just fall right off. I will try cotton free socks and let you know how that works. Thanks bunches again!
  • Ueropa
    Options

I know looks don't matter when it comes to socks, but I was totally tickled when I saw they came in pink.
  • exacerbe
    exacerbe Posts: 447 Member
    Options

I know looks don't matter when it comes to socks, but I was totally tickled when I saw they came in pink.

Ha, yeah. Sometimes looks do matter, depending on the situation - primarily socks. Regardless of the colors, they actually are great socks =) worth considering!
  • melholden10
    Options
    I find plasters just move and give blisters in other places if the blisters are closed then soak your feet in surgical spirit dries them out and hardens your skin so you hopefully don't get them as much don't use surgical spirit on open blisters stings like mad and delays your skin healing for open blisters use salt solution 1 teaspoon of salt to 1pint of water won't prevent wound healing and will help harden your skin albeit not as effectivly as surgical spirit
  • erikazj
    erikazj Posts: 2,365 Member
    Options
    I hate to say it, but if you've been running 3-5 miles EVERY day for three months in your shoes, and are heavy on your footwear normally you might need new trainers. If it was 5 miles every day for 3 months you will have run 450 miles. I think generally a lot of runners change their shoes around the 500 mile mark but it does all depend on how heavy you are etc. Some people have to change them earlier. Have you inspected the sole? Is there much wear? If there is, it may well be that the cushioning has compressed as well.

Definitely start with the socks and see how you get on first though!

Erika
  • Ueropa
    Options
    My Father is a runner so I'll have him inspect them when I see him this weekend, maybe I do need new shoes already. I guess I didn't realize just how much I was actually running. I mean I will take 1 day off every few weeks or so, so I guess everyday isn't exactly accurate.