Knee replacement

Options
May I know knee replacement is it usually can last 20 years ? Cos doctor said delay knee replacement probably he want me to do after 50-60+ years old. Can knee replacement do 2X on same leg ?

Replies

• AliNouveau
    AliNouveau Posts: 36,287 Member
    Options
    Not sure but I do know my cousin had a hip replacement essentially as a child since part of hers was missing and she's on number 2 and was told to wait as long as she could for number 3 because that's the limit.

They don't last forever so it's good to wait as long as you can before having it done. Have you tried physio therapy to help will it?
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    Options
    They don't like doing replacements on young people, only because they do wear out. They can do multiple replacements on the same joint.

I've had both knees and one hip replaced. I'm 61 now. If you do heavy activities like running, the joints wear out faster, too.

Good luck!
  • KNoceros
    KNoceros Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    Prinmary knees usually last 15-20 years depending on what abuse (weight loading) they’re put through.
    Revision (ie re-replacement) surgery is a really big deal. I’m in healthcare (UK based orthopaedic anaesthetist) and I’m not convinced I’ve ever come across anyone having a re-revision.
    The two statements above are probably why your surgeon is advising on waiting.
  • geraldaltman
    geraldaltman Posts: 1,739 Member
    Options
    It might have been in the material I got related to my hip replacements (done at 64). I don't remember talking about their lifespan. I guess such was my dire need for them. My goal is to "ride them" for as long as I possibly can and am counting on my exercise regimen and getting/keeping weight down to be huge factors in doing that. My exercise has been walking (power at times, such as I am able) and water calesthenics including continuation of post op PT exercises there and water walking (in, not on 😉😂). Sooner or later I'll swim again, kinda saving that until I see boredom in what currently do. I have no plans to run, lift on do high impact stuff. Should I have any concerns or am I good? I think I'm good.
  • alisonkuan
    alisonkuan Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I just learn that if choose titantium material can last life time anyone heard of this ?
  • Fit4LifeAR
    Fit4LifeAR Posts: 233 Member
    edited November 2019
    Options
    I had a total knee replacement at 36. My doctor said my knee was in the shape of a 90 year old knee, and my quality of life did not match that of someone my age. My knee is expected to last at least 20-30 years, and then I will need a new one. Keep in mind how much technology and medicine will advance in that time too. We have no idea what a knee replacement will entail by then. So, I say find a doctor that cares about how you feel today, and not about asking you to suffer for the next 20 years.
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    I am a post-surgical nurse and I used to be an orthopedic nurse. I have seen lots of total joint replacements. Absolutely do not wait while your quality of life suffers.

I had a 31 year old patient last week go home the same day as she had her knee replacement done (not the norm, usually a one night stay involved).

If you do chose to have it done, research your physician options thoroughly and make sure to do everything you can prior to the surgery: be at healthy weight, work on strength and flexibility, etc

Be prepared for a long overall recovery, up to a year to settle into your maximum post replacement levels.
  • Muscleflex79
    Muscleflex79 Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat - advanced osteoarthritis in both knees, need replacements, but they keep telling me to come back in 20 years! it is ridiculous to have to suffer through the "best" years of our lives, but I've spent years trying to find a doctor that will consider replacing my knees when I'm not even 40 yet. if you have a doctor willing to do it go for it!!!

PS. Fit4LifeAR - I thought of you when I saw this thread - glad you responded as well!
  • daveredvette
    daveredvette Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    don't wait 20 years. Had hip replaced at 48 and now 54, completed Ironman and still run after replacement. When hip started hurting I went to a hip doctor and he told me wait until I could not walk. I didn't like that answer. I went to another hip doctor and he said since I was in good shape and still young (48) to replace hip and live quality of life.
    Technology is great these days. Replace knee and live life without pain
  • nref04
    nref04 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hello I'm Yari new to the app. I too had a left knee replacement at age 46 and the doctors fought me all the way! Had nothing but pain and pills which didn't work for me. I'm now in need of a right knee replacement due to weight put on it after the 1st surgery. Not sure what it is about the age of "70", but again I'm being told to wait and suffer. Currently I'm living a 1600 calorie lifestyle and ride a recumbent elliptical for an hour a day or more. Need understanding support as family and friends just don't get it.
  • nytrifisoul
    nytrifisoul Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    I have an appointment to see a Orthopedic surgeon next week for my knee's. I am hoping i just need steroid injections like i did for my bulged disc on L4, as it really helped. Ironically, before today reading this thread, i didn't even know knee replacement was a thing. I mean sure, i could see this being needed if you had your knee shattered or something horrific done to it, but runners knee?
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    edited January 2020
    Options
    I guess I might be the exception. I like my natural joints. Had a devistating injury like 14 years ago. The guy who was the workhorse in Cincy (did 300 plus surgeries a year) told me I was in his worst top 3 of the year. Sheered off the Meniscus (totally shredded, not fixable), blew out everything else -- had my knee seperate after years of not having an ACL.

After a few consults and one surgery attempting to just clean it all up, got just an ACL and did rehab for around a year. They also did the Microfracture thing (drill holes in it hoping the meniscus grows back). He said, while under, every time he tried to bend the knee that it actually dislocated. Great!

I turned my rehab into weight loss. Took five months to bear weight, a year to walk. Two years to walk without a visible limp. Now, years later, I workout six to seven hours a week. I've lost 70 lbs and I don't have pain. My knee is still structural garbage but I take a lot of supplements that help. I was 41 when I injured it and I'm 55 now. The doc said I was lucky as I didn't have terrible Arthritis to start and he was surprised at that -- said most without ACLs as long as I was (20 years) have bad arthritis. I didn't have arthritic damage then, but I'm sure I do now.

I'd like to wait until I'm in my late 60s to get it done.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,675 Member
    Options
    I have an appointment to see a Orthopedic surgeon next week for my knee's. I am hoping i just need steroid injections like i did for my bulged disc on L4, as it really helped. Ironically, before today reading this thread, i didn't even know knee replacement was a thing. I mean sure, i could see this being needed if you had your knee shattered or something horrific done to it, but runners knee?

You don't get a new knee when you're suffering from runners knee, you get it when arthritis or injury have completely destroyed the meniscus that cushions the bones of your knee. Steroid injections don't help knees much. There are shots like Synvisc or Hyaluron that can temporarily replace the missing or torn meniscus by putting a liquid layer between the bones. They help for a year or so then need to be repeated. Eventually the bone on bone friction is so painful a replacement is necessary.