Running advice

Options
I have been trying to get in to running. I have been running for a few weeks now and I am getting pain on the inside of my left calf. I hear horrible story's of people with shin splints and then stress fractures. How do I know if this is shin splints or just muscle fatigue?

Replies

• BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    How quickly does the pain go away? (Shin splints usually present themselves as pain along the front of your shins and, typically, stress fractures require a fairly high running volume or sudden significant increase) How far are you running? How fast?

Were your shoes fitted at a running store or are they badly worn?

It could be simple case of trying to do too much, too soon, too fast. Try slowing down a bit and. perhaps, running slightly shorter distances and see how you feel.
  • Analog_Kid
    Analog_Kid Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    For runners, shoes are EVERYTHING. Make sure you've got a high quality shoe that properly fits your foot and provides the support where you need it most. Look for a specialty shoe store in your area that does assessments of the feet, for things like pronation, supination and arch level.

If the pain is persistent or severe, call your doctor or at least check with a chiropractor.

Hope this helps...
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    I agree that good shoes are a must. Also, how often and far are you running? The most common reason that new runners get shin splints and other issues is that they are trying to do too much too soon. I would suggest starting off with a standard program like C25K and running no more than 3 times per week and not on consecutive days. If you want to be able to run long term, your best bet is to be patient and start off slowly. Try doing strengthening exercises to supplement your running as well.
  • mjgendron1
    mjgendron1 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    So we don't have special shoe stores here. I own a pair of under armour hover Sonic shoes that I've had for a few months but only for working out. I have tried to do a program where three weeks ago I started running 1 minute on 1 minute off and then last week running 2 minutes on and 1 minute off and now I'm at running 3 minutes on and 1 minute off. I run between 4 and 4.8 mph running and 2.5 mph while walking. I warm up/run/cool down in about 35 mins running about 2 miles and this is 5 days a week. The pian happens about last 10 mins of run and last about an hour after the run.
  • Shortgirlrunning
    Shortgirlrunning Posts: 1,020 Member
    edited November 2019
    Options
    Do you have a Dicks Sporting Goods? They will do gait analysis and help you figure out the proper shoes for you. It’s a total game changer.
  • RunnerGirl238
    RunnerGirl238 Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    5 days a week is a lot for a new runner. Overuse is a thing, especially new to the game. Try cutting to 3 times a week and adding in some lower body weight training- split squats, dead lifts, sumo squats, bridges, to work on form and stability.
  • jhanleybrown
    jhanleybrown Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    mjgendron1 wrote: »
    So we don't have special shoe stores here. I own a pair of under armour hover Sonic shoes that I've had for a few months but only for working out. I have tried to do a program where three weeks ago I started running 1 minute on 1 minute off and then last week running 2 minutes on and 1 minute off and now I'm at running 3 minutes on and 1 minute off. I run between 4 and 4.8 mph running and 2.5 mph while walking. I warm up/run/cool down in about 35 mins running about 2 miles and this is 5 days a week. The pian happens about last 10 mins of run and last about an hour after the run.

So I'm solidly middle aged now but even in my 20s/30s tried to avoid running 2 days in a row as its hard on the body. Especially if you are not lean.

So I'd find a secondary exercise with less pounding and switch off.
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    I agree that running 2 days in a row isn't advisable.
    Perhaps try running 3x a week and slow down to a speed where you can speak short sentences while running. Increase your running time only when you are ready.

Do you have a pair of old, worn sneakers. Look at the wear on the soles. If there is more wear on one side than the other, you may need shoes for correction. If the wear is even across the foot, a shoe "off the rack" is probably okay if it gives the cushioning you need.
    As soon as you can, go to a Running Store to get properly fitted. Once you know what kind of shoe your feet need, you can purchase them on-line.
  • tirowow12385
    tirowow12385 Posts: 698 Member
    Options
    mjgendron1 wrote: »
    I have been trying to get in to running. I have been running for a few weeks now and I am getting pain on the inside of my left calf. I hear horrible story's of people with shin splints and then stress fractures. How do I know if this is shin splints or just muscle fatigue?

You will know because its on your shin, i had shin splints when i first started running, the anterior shin which is in front of you hurt but it thickened over time to the point it could handle the pounding of running, the posterior shin took forever to heal especially since the boney part felt like it was fractured, when i run, i could feel pain with every step but i adjusted how soft i landed to lessen the pain, it hurt likd heck when i touch it too, it took about a couple of months of running to realize i was running without pain at all.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    Seeking out a specialty running store is worth the effort if you are able to do it. If you absolutely can't, there are a few on-line shoe finders that can help. these are just two of many:

https://www.roadrunnersports.com/rrs/product/shoe-dog.jsp?cm_mmc=vanity-_-shoedog-_-na-_-na

https://treadlabs.com/blogs/insoles-reach-your-stride/34786373-what-are-your-running-shoes-trying-to-tell-you

If you have a pair of running shoes that have some wear on them, the shoe wear pattern can be very helpful. However, this only applies if you have been running in them, not every day wear.

Another very important thing that is often not said. Wear your running shoes ONLY for running, not other types of workouts or every day wear. Wearing them every day or using them for other sports can greatly change the wear pattern and break down the support.
  • GaryRuns
    GaryRuns Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    The trick with running is building up slowly to give your body time to adapt to what you're asking of it. If you try to ramp up the amount of time you're running too fast, or stack on the miles too quickly, your body will let you know. That's what your body is doing now, letting you know you're pushing too hard. Back off for a few days, do some vigorous walking instead.

Shin splints can be painful but they're not usually a big deal. It's just some inflammation around the muscles and tendons in the front part of your lower leg. Rest, maybe a little ice post workout, and a bit of ibuprofen and you can alleviate most of the pain. But, again, you need to back off on the running to avoid making it worse.

Stress fractures? Very unlikely, unless you have some complicating factors like osteoporosis or something similar. But shin splints should be gone a couple of days after you back off on the running, and may not even be painful at all when you're not running. The pain from a stress fracture will not go away so quickly and will linger even when not running. Of course if you are really concerned then see a doctor.

And listen to all the other great advice in this thread...