Never used a heart rate monitor...

Options
I've never used a heart rate monitor before. I did have a bodybugg but it didn't seem to calculate calories burned for certain activities, especially stationary bikes. And I no longer wanted to pay to find out how many calories I burned each day. So now I would like to get an HRM but know nothing about them. I noticed some have chest straps and others don't. Which is better? I'd prefer not to wear a chest strap though. How do HRM's work and are there any good yet cheap ones? I'd like to get an expensive one eventually, but can't right now.

Replies

• hjy319
    hjy319 Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    I have the polar FT4 it has a chest strap, which I don't really notice, and from what I am told the chest strap is more accurate. It is super easy to use and was $99
  • Phanessa917
    Phanessa917 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I bought a Polar FT7 and I love it. It's basic. Just tells you the heart rate and how many calories you're burning and the duration of your work out. You can also set a % rate where it will beep if you're under or over your max heart rate. Oh, it also tells me if i'm in the "fat burn" zone or if i'm in the "fitness burn" zone. Stores up to 99 files. Mine came with a chest strap. I didn't want one either but after some research, it's obvious that if I want a more accurate HRM, I have to go with the chest strap. It really isn't as much hassle as I thought and being a female, having have a bra in the same area, it really didn't feel like a foreign object :)
  • My1985Freckles
    My1985Freckles Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    I just got mine from walmart ($47.88). GREATEST INVESTMENT EVER! It works great. It has the chest strap which is a MUST for a HRM to be of any benefit for logging calories because it keeps your constant heart rate and can give the average heart rate for your workout which is what ultimately determines calorie burn.

I was VERY nervous about getting one with a chest strap. Well guess what?! As a woman, you don't even feel it. Just place it under your lower bra strap. It is wonderful!
  • ItsMeLori
    ItsMeLori Posts: 346
    Options
    I have the polar FT4 it has a chest strap, which I don't really notice, and from what I am told the chest strap is more accurate. It is super easy to use and was $99

This is the one I have and I love it... I paid 80 for it at a Sports Academy
  • chrymyrs
    chrymyrs Posts: 38
    Options
    I just bought a sportline wrist watch/hrm from walmart for $22. I will be trying it out today. But you wear it just like a watch!
  • JustMichelleB
    Options
    I've been using an FT4 for a few months. From what I've heard, a chest strap is a must for accurate calculations/tracking. The FT4's strap is comfortable and machine washable.
  • cspence2270
    cspence2270 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I bought a Polar FT7 and I love it. It's basic. Just tells you the heart rate and how many calories you're burning and the duration of your work out. You can also set a % rate where it will beep if you're under or over your max heart rate. Oh, it also tells me if i'm in the "fat burn" zone or if i'm in the "fitness burn" zone. Stores up to 99 files. Mine came with a chest strap. I didn't want one either but after some research, it's obvious that if I want a more accurate HRM, I have to go with the chest strap. It really isn't as much hassle as I thought and being a female, having have a bra in the same area, it really didn't feel like a foreign object :)

Same here- I have the Polar FT7 and love it. I also wasn't sure about the chest strap but I don't even notice it. One day I went for a walk at lunch during work and was in with my second patient of the day before I realized that I still had that chest strap on. I also love in information I get off of it and having the files of my daily workouts saved is nice. I can see how I did and log my information later in the day when I have time.
  • Jerzeeblondie
    Options
    Okay even more of a dumb question but how do I know what my heart rate should be? I've been to a gym n people who had them would run faster or slower on the treadmill if it beeped. Do chest straps come in different sizes? I was looking up polar ft7 cause I heard about them n didn't see that it came with chest straps just saw a male n female version
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    Okay even more of a dumb question but how do I know what my heart rate should be? I've been to a gym n people who had them would run faster or slower on the treadmill if it beeped. Do chest straps come in different sizes? I was looking up polar ft7 cause I heard about them n didn't see that it came with chest straps just saw a male n female version

All Polars come with a chest strap.. it's just not advertised.

Don't go with a cheapo watch only one from walmart or w/e... it won't be accurate when it comes to calories burned.

The HRM will calculate what your heart rate should be.. most use 220-age and then take what 60-70% of that would be.
  • ddecarr
    ddecarr Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    220 minus age then 65% on low end to 85% high end.
  • Jerzeeblondie
    Options
    Thanks! I always thought they determined what it should be based on your weight lol