Any suggestions for salad dressing alternatives?

Options
I love salad and even though I don't eat it every single day I still always feel guilty eating it because I also love salad dressing! Anyone have a healthy alternative or recipe for salad dressing?

Replies

• ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    Make taco salad. Sour Cream is low in calories compared to dressing
  • sleepy7
    sleepy7 Posts: 104
    Options
    extra virgin olive oil and vinegar
  • sixxx
    sixxx Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I was a salad chef so I have quite a few!

Raspberry vinaigrette - Renee's makes a good one called Ravin' Raspberry at 20 calories a tbsp. The Poppy Seed dressing is also fairly light and 80 calories a tbsp.
    Fresh lemon squeezed on spinach salad is fantastic.

My favourite is still 1 part extra virgin olive oil and 3 parts balsamic vinegar.
  • KatrinaAustin
    KatrinaAustin Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Walden Farms http://www.waldenfarms.com/products/dressings.html I can't eat salad without dressing and this is calorie free and tastes awesome. My husband is super picky and can't tolerate anything "reduced" or "free" when it comes to flavor. Even he liked the bleu cheese dressing.
  • RhonndaJ
    RhonndaJ Posts: 1,615 Member
    Options
    I've been surprised when on occasion I thoroughly enjoy mine with just malt vinegar and pepper.
  • yes_i_can
    yes_i_can Posts: 419
    Options
    Put a small handful of raspberries (frozen are actually preferable to fresh since they'll break down more) in a small container with a few splashes of balsamic vinegar and some spices (I prefer a spicy Asian mix) and put it in the fridge over night... you'll get a sweet and spicy dressing that's great on salads - especially with baby spinach.
  • vitacat
    vitacat Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I simply squeeze a lemon over salad, that works for me!
  • sixxx
    sixxx Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Also, if you make your salads with ice berg lettuce, try mixing it with salsa - but PACK it with veggies like corn, broccoli, peppers, tomatoes, artichokes, the more the better... it's super low calorie and super tasty!
  • DisneyMommy
    Options
    I don't use any salad dressing. I just mix in 2 tablespoons of Spicy Hummus.Good stuff!
  • msiamjan
    msiamjan Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Put cottage cheese on your salad, add a small amount of dressing you like, and it will be creamy, with a nice salad dressing flavor.
  • erinczRN
    Options
    I use fat free cottage cheese on baby spinach, for taco salad, I mix salsa w/ sour cream, and I make a buffalo chicken salad, I drizzle 1 T of low-fat ranch and 1 T hot sauce over the salad ( the hot sauce takes away from the aftertaste of a light ranch)
  • kitinboots
    kitinboots Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    I add moisture to my salads in different ways - chopped tomato is my favourite. Add any herb/spice for flavour.
    I'm also a fan of balsamic vinegar, pesto and olive oil, lemon juice and mustard.
  • EnuffaMyButt
    EnuffaMyButt Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Walden Farms dressings (quite yummy) OR salsa. I replace sour cream with plain non fat greek yogurt. (mix the salsa and yogurt)

http://www.waldenfarms.com/

NOTE: Most of the dressings are great however, I've found one or two things from walden farm that leave little to desire on the taste bud end.

good luck :smile:
  • ShannaB83185
    ShannaB83185 Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    Wishbone makes a dressing or spritzer as it's called and you can get 10 sprays for like 10 calories. That's usually all I ever need and it's sooo good they have different flavors. You should try it :)
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    lemon juice or fruit. We like strawberries on ours.
  • havingitall
    havingitall Posts: 3,728 Member
    Options
    EVOO, Balsamic vinegar, a touch of mint and some dijon mustard to keep it from separating.
  • aregensb
    aregensb Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I like making a mustard balsamic vinaigrette. Basically, I just mix some olive oil and balsamic vinegar together (at a 3:1 ratio of oil to vinegar) and then add a bit of mustard with whole seeds. Not everyone likes mustard with mustard seeds in it, but I think it is delicious. Best of all, this dressing takes very little time and effort to make.

You can also experiment with other spices if you want. Sometimes I squeeze a little bit of lemon juice in as well.
  • loriannmartin
    loriannmartin Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    wishbone makes salad spritzers at only one calorie spray... love the balsamic vinaigrette & Italian, even if you use a lot of sprays it still is less than some of the high calorie dressings.
  • springtrio
    springtrio Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    Lemon juice.