New Peloton-style strength training machine

Replies

• jeffjeff85
    jeffjeff85 Posts: 118 Member
    I'm gonna guess its 'better' than free weights in some ways, and not much use in others.

Cables (or bands) tend to be better for some lifts, as the resistance continues (and.often increases) at the "top" of the lift, while free weights lose the contraction at the end of curls, OP, leg press ....
    So I'd have.to.try it, but I dont think on the one for that.

Still, love your pic- great job!
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    It looks like a great idea. The price, compared to other things in the world of fitness equipment, looks reasonable.
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Even if I could afford the cost of this, it's a no from me. That's despite the fact that I have quite a lot of anxiety related to the using weights in a gym and am very much in favor of breaking down barriers to things that I feel the need to do despite not wanting to do them (weight lifting for example). I'm much more in favor of say, seeing a personal trainer once a week or once every other week both as a form of accountability and to make sure I'm actually doing the lifts correctly.

I'd rather buy a Concept 2 dynamic erg or, given the comparison in cost with Tonal, save up an extra $200 and get an RP3.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Yeah I don’t think I would enjoy it too much and could definitely find something else to spend the $ on, a vacation or new bike. Just curious what others would think.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    I am close enough to the business that I have a lot of reactions, positive and negative, to these things and probably have my own set of biases as well.

Because I have full a toolkit when it comes to exercise selection, I tend to be wary of any “all in one” type of modality that might limit either one’s choices of exercises. This seems like essentially a digital version of a cable-style multigym. So while there are a lot of good cable exercises, cable exercises are not the best choice for all situations—so I am wary about putting all my eggs in the cable basket, so to speak.

Another area of concern I have with something like this is that the design of the “exercise machine” has to follow the needs of design, space, marketing, and the type of resistance (wasn’t it magnets?). So I have to ask what is the quality of the exercise movements?” How much has been compromised, and are the designers really all that knowledgeable about exercise? (Same question with the Peloton).

Using videos for instruction has its limitations as well.

And it has a really, really unfortunate name.

On the plus side, while it is now just an expensive ornament for people with too much disposable income, the concept does have some intriguing aspects IMO. Like the ability for a health professional to program a rehab workout for someone after outpatient therapy. Or even online personal training.

• MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Given that Peloton appear to be losing money, doesn't sound like a compelling business model.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    I would love to have this...it would take up way less room than my weight racks do now...but it won't be in the budget anytime soon...maybe a retirement present to myself!
  • aokoye
    Another issue is that if and when this company ceases to exist, there isnt any indication that you'll be able to continue use the equipment.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    aokoye wrote: »
    Another issue is that if and when this company ceases to exist, there isnt any indication that you'll be able to continue use the equipment.

I'd say it's more "when" than "if".
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member

This is a great question and should have been addressed by the reviewer. What can be done if your internet is down? It seems like most of the workouts are contained within the machine, but not completely clear.
  • aokoye
    edited November 2019
    Azdak wrote: »

Well yeah. I am under no impression that they'll be around for all that long.
  • I’m just an old fashioned girl. I like picking actual weights up and putting them down again. Then again I only got a smart phone about 5 years ago. I’m a tech phobe.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Azdak wrote: »

Well yeah. I am under no impression that they'll be around for all that long.

That's ok, they'll still have everyone's money! 🙄
  • vukotamick
    vukotamick Posts: 11 Member
    That would look great next to my dusty Total Gym which is next to my dusty treadmill.
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    Peloton announced it would be coming up with a strength machine this month. They are going to introduce the Peloton rower. Allegedly for much less money than the bike. That's more interesting to me (not that I'd abandon my C2 Rower) than this gimmicky thing.

I do think the future (for some like me that don't have the time to go to classes) is interactive fitness. There's that one called the Mirror as well as this one. All are going off of Peloton's success. NordicTrack has a rower right now that's interactive like Peloton. I like the idea for variety. What I don't want to do, though, is pay 4X as much for the piece of equipment that isn't worth that price because the interactive feature.

Peloton was smart in coming out with their interactive app this year. They have an app now where you can pay for their interactive videos/instruction/online classes, even if you don't own one of the their bikes or treadmills. You can just pay for their app and use your own Spin Bike or Treadmill. I think that's the direction the industry will go to eventually. Apps for existing equipment that's compatible. Much like the Zwift model -- you can ride any bike on Zwift but you have to have a compatible bike trainer.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    I think the name "Tonal" really indicates the market they are chasing.

I like cable machines for accessory work but wouldn't want to replicate that as sole equipment for a strength workout. Also have doubts about how good electromagnetic resistance is compared with moving actual weights.

Seems a dreadfully expensive toy. TRX straps, a set of adjustable dumbbells and YouTube would be a far cheaper option for home workouts.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    My inner curmudgeon wants to know if it counts as interactive fitness if I go hiking with friends and we talk to each other?