Any suggestions for salad dressing alternatives?

Options

Replies

• taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    I was gonna suggest the tried and true standard: salt, pepper, garlic powder, oregano, evoo, balsamic (some prefer lemon instead of balsamic).

But if you have time, this look awesome:
  • amygibson82
    amygibson82 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Man all of these sound soo good! Thanks!
  • Eavito
    Eavito Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    A good Balsamic vinegar or Apple Cider vinegar is what I use, although I would love an alternative to a creamy dressing without added sugars...
  • Laurayinz
    Laurayinz Posts: 923 Member
    Options
    I've eaten them without any on occasion... If you put some wet ingredients on it, like tomatoes, pepper rings, artichokes, black olives, etc, it helps. Last night I used a little EVOO and red wine vinegar.
  • crystalmichelle82
    Options
    Put a small handful of raspberries (frozen are actually preferable to fresh since they'll break down more) in a small container with a few splashes of balsamic vinegar and some spices (I prefer a spicy Asian mix) and put it in the fridge over night... you'll get a sweet and spicy dressing that's great on salads - especially with baby spinach.

omg, this sounds phenomenal.

If you like the old fashion buttermilk ranch style too sometimes, b/c i like to mix it up you know. Can't get bored w/ eating healthy that would be devastating. I like to do the Marketside (walmart) all natural light buttermilk ranch i can get in their salad section where its refrigerated. Its really tasty and low-cal. I just use 2 tbsps and that's less than 50 calories i think. Then i just have a bed of spinach, grilled chicken strips (ready made by Tyson) and 1/2 a homegrown tomato, some Stella Feta cheese... yum!
  • cspinney
    cspinney Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I like:

- Olive oil with balsamic vinegar or lemon juice
    - Salsa
    - Hummus
  • sammys1girly
    sammys1girly Posts: 1,045 Member
    Options
    Depending on what's in the salad, sometimes I use salsa.
  • Erica0718
    Erica0718 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    Bolthouse Farms makes a Cesar dressing out of yogurt that it really good. I can't help it I like creamy dressing so I make my own Blue Cheese Dressing, add reduced fat sour cream, blue cheese crumbles, accent seasoning, black pepper, a couple drops of worchester , and garlic powder.

I think I may try the salsa and sour cream idea, sounds good.
    123456654321 Posts: 1,311 Member
    Options
    ..It's not an alternative to salad dressing since it IS a salad dressing....but it's low calorie, doesn't have anything terrible in it and is quite yummy.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Newman-s-Own-Light-Balsamic-Vinaigrette/13424397?sourceid=1500000000000007346530&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=13424397
  • Ali_TSO
    Ali_TSO Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    I don't use any salad dressing. I just mix in 2 tablespoons of Spicy Hummus.Good stuff!

I do the same thing, but water it down a little so it's more like a "dressing". :)
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    SALSA!! Once you've tried it, you'll love it! Got the idea from trolling some guy’s diary on MFP and he ate spinach, salsa and chicken breast like 3x a day!

I bought the Jakes Garden Salsa from Costco to avoid sodium (it’s natural, has like a 2 week exp date unlike Tostitos 2+ years, LOL!) and b/c it's super delicious and love it!
  • nikkiamor
    Options
    Walden Farms http://www.waldenfarms.com/products/dressings.html I can't eat salad without dressing and this is calorie free and tastes awesome. My husband is super picky and can't tolerate anything "reduced" or "free" when it comes to flavor. Even he liked the bleu cheese dressing.

I was going to suggest them as well! ^^
  • janetnels
    janetnels Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    If you eat out a lot like I do, some restaurants don't have fat free dressing. I know, ridiculous, but true. Don't pour the dressing on your salad. Instead dip your fork into the dressing, then add salad. You'll use a lot less dressing this way and save tons of calories.
  • Pangui
    Pangui Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    My whole family loves Maple Grove Farms Fat Free Honey Dijon dressing. It is only 35 calories for TWO tablespoons. For me, that's enough for a very big salad. I buy three or four bottles at a time when I am at the grocery store.
  • isabellammm
    isabellammm Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I always use either rice vinegar or i found this pomegranate balsamic vinegar that's really good.
  • joseph9
    joseph9 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I like salt and pepper on a salad, or maybe some balsamic vinegar
  • SlenderSuze
    SlenderSuze Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Check out the salad dressing recipes in the paperback version of the South Beach Diet Supercharged. Lots of variety. Even blue cheese made with ff buttermilk and yogurt. Yum.
  • phlumpet
    phlumpet Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I bought some from Whole Foods which is balsamic vinagrette, pomegranate juice, salt/pepper and maybe some other spices. 30cal for 2 Tbsp. The juice replaces the oil and it tastes just as good.
  • ONCEALWAYS
    ONCEALWAYS Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    vinegar and a good olive oil.... for taco salad use salsa.. if you want a creamy dressing mix some lowfat or fat free sour cream and salsa...
  • kaylaps
    Options
    I've been using and modifying this recipe:
    http://kitchen-parade-veggieventure.blogspot.com/2008/06/buttermilk-garlic-salad-dressing.html

Love it with pimenton, as suggested, and good with Penzey's Creamy Peppercorn salad dressing base to flavor it, too. Substitute Greek yogurt for sour cream and go easy on the mayo - the buttermilk gives it a lot of body.