Do you see benefits in other areas?

Options
When I was really good shape, I noticed that it was impacting (positively) other areas of my life. I not only felt better, had more energy, etc. but, I noticed that I was much more focused. There was something about going to the gym, putting my headphones in, and getting in to my work out on a daily basis that I just felt was improving so many other aspects of my daily life.

Has anyone else experienced that??

Replies

• ElizabethKalmbach
    ElizabethKalmbach Posts: 1,416 Member
    Options
    The time specifically allocated to "self" allows me some time for meditation and reflection on a regular schedule, which helps me to keep track of where I am and what I'm doing and why I'm doing it.

The metrics involved allow me to keep a close eye on my health and relay changes to my doctor in a quantitative fashion that are easier for her to understand as "more than my imagination." It's not, "I'm suddenly weaker than before." It's "every single one of my lifts dropped by 20% in a week."

In general, being lighter also makes my "creaky knee" just a "creaky knee" and not "the ouchy knee."

And, now I sleep like the DEAD. Still only averaging about 4-5 hours per night, but my "deep sleep" has DOUBLED from like 1 hour to a little over 2 hours per night.
  • nighthawk584
    nighthawk584 Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    I'm almost 55 and I was last in this good of shape at 36. I may even be in better shape with 17 lbs still to lose for goal. I know my labs are the best they have been in at least 25 years. Who knows how much time I have left, but I at least I have control of my life back at this very moment. It's a great feeling!
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    A few weeks ago I took my boyfriend hiking up to the hollywood sign through the deronda drive way(we walked all the way from the train station in downtown LA to the sign, no cab, no bus, no nothing). He has always been the more fit one, but guess what? He was the one lagging behind, panting, while I was barely breaking a sweat, slipping ahead of him by accident, and encouraging him to keep going. If you don’t know the hike is about 3 miles walking from the station to the hilly part, then another 2 or so miles of a steep incline one way. It’s funny because He’s from a hilly area in NY and I put him to shame that day! I wanted to walk the extra 2 mile loop around the sign(on an even steeper incline) but I thought I had tortured him enough as it was lol!

I would have never been able to do that a year ago!

If you walked to the Hollywood sign from downtown LA it was way more than three miles :D
  • etherealanwar
    etherealanwar Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I used to get winded so easily when I was my heaviest from doing normal routine things (including walking for longer periods of time). That is no longer an issue and I am so relieved.
  • umbramirror
    umbramirror Posts: 256 Member
    edited November 2019
    Options
    No_Knock wrote: »
    When I was really good shape, I noticed that it was impacting (positively) other areas of my life. I not only felt better, had more energy, etc. but, I noticed that I was much more focused. There was something about going to the gym, putting my headphones in, and getting in to my work out on a daily basis that I just felt was improving so many other aspects of my daily life.

Has anyone else experienced that??

Definitely everything that you mentioned I can relate to. I noticed the difference significantly when I got back into some bad habits for a few weeks with how much worse I felt. I woke up feeling drained already, would be sluggish throughout the day, and simply didn't have that same motivation. Remembering how that felt is another piece of insight that keeps me focused on my goals.

Also, now that I am much more healthy and fit, I love the level of confidence I feel with my body and its ability to handle strength and endurance tasks. I love knowing that I'm up to the challenge!
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    Gotta go with everything. Higher confidence, improved relationships, think sharper/clearer, more focused.
  • manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    Options
    My Arthritis is much better.
  • reginaswork
    reginaswork Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I was losing back in the spring & summer. I lost about 12-15lbs. I felt better physically and emotionally better at handling life's challenges. I've put on 6 lbs this fall. I'm recently motivated to go back on MFP, exactly why I'm posting right now, cuz I'm on it. But those stinkin 6 lbs have depressed me. And my body feels them. I know that might sound crazy but I think it's all the extra sugar, white flour, and salt that has my body sluggish and tired and feeling the inflammation.
    So yes, being healthy and getting rid of the excess lb's does impact my life.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    I'd lose my mind at work if not for my lunch time exercise.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    I used to play a lot of video games, and have to work hard not to become addicted to games. Now I can play a good game, enjoy it for a while, and then go do other things. I feel like the positive reinforcement I get from working out and being happy with my looks is filling the void I used to try to fill with gaming.
  • SnifterPug
    SnifterPug Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    I'm the fittest I have ever been, and the strongest. That has given me a big boost of self-confidence. My energy levels are high and I don't even hate housework quite as much as I used to, probably because I no longer find it exhausting.
  • Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    Definitely has spilled over! I was bedridden for a long time from chronic pain and gained a lot of weight after my last back surgery. I couldn't even do my own grocery shopping. Now I'm a lot more mobile, can stand and walk longer, and carry a decent amount of weight. I'm off diabetes medication. Working out each day was started for weight loss but now think of it as primarily helping my mental health and sleep.