White Elephant Gifts

Options
InspectorRed
InspectorRed Posts: 757 Member
It's that time of year when I try to come up with a couple good white elephant gifts! We do a big gift exchange at both my Mom's house and at my in-law's house for Christmas. Alcohol is always a safe bet but I love coming up with funny stuff for my gift.
My father-in-law is GREAT at bringing fun gifts! Last year his contribution was a weird wooden statue that I ended up with...I named it "Mojo" and it stands on a shelf in the corner of my apartment.
Anybody else do white elephant gift exchanges? What has been the best gift you've given or received as part of this exchange? What about the worst?

Replies

• InspectorRed
    Options
    n5hpcvhatqdn.jpg
    Here is Mojo right after my son opened him
  • Deadman_Diggingup
    Deadman_Diggingup Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options
    I don’t think I’ve ever heard the term “white elephant gift”. Is it like a secret gift exchange?
  • InspectorRed
    Options
    I don’t think I’ve ever heard the term “white elephant gift”. Is it like a secret gift exchange?

Yes, we do adults only. Everyone brings a gift, we draw numbers, when your turn comes around you can choose an unopened gift or "steal" one that has already been opened.
  • Deadman_Diggingup
    Deadman_Diggingup Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options

Yes, we do adults only. Everyone brings a gift, we draw numbers, when your turn comes around you can choose an unopened gift or "steal" one that has already been opened.

Ahh I see, thank you! I’ve always known it as a “Secret Santa” gift exchange. The subtle difference being that you draw a name beforehand.
  • ridiculouslyhandsome
    Options
    Somebody brought me a white elephant. It was literally white.
  • RAinWA
    RAinWA Posts: 1,980 Member
    Options
    I got a very detailed cast iron fly a few years ago-it is hideous. Best white elephant gift I ever got!
  • JustSomeEm
    JustSomeEm Posts: 20,197 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Chocolate!

Most fun white elephant gift I've ever ended up with was a Christmas Stocking with a bladder and pour spout in the toe, along with some obnoxious wine glasses. Maybe I should dig that thing out soon and fill it up...
  • flotek72
    flotek72 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    I've thought about doing something like my face on a shirt or pillow case.
  • InspectorRed
    Options
    flotek72 wrote: »
    I've thought about doing something like my face on a shirt or pillow case.

Haha! I ordered socks with my face on them just the other day!
  • InspectorRed
    Options
    RAinWA wrote: »
    I got a very detailed cast iron fly a few years ago-it is hideous. Best white elephant gift I ever got!

That's the kind of white elephant gifts I love! A few years ago we made a rule that the gift had to be a second hand item, I found an old hanging oil lamp, the kind where the oil drips down a series of nylon strings; that lamp came back to our gift exchange at least 2 more times!
  • InspectorRed
    Options
    JustSomeEm wrote: »
    Chocolate!

Most fun white elephant gift I've ever ended up with was a Christmas Stocking with a bladder and pour spout in the toe, along with some obnoxious wine glasses. Maybe I should dig that thing out soon and fill it up...

I'm considering chocolates, I found some on Etsy that are infused with ghost pepper.
  • ellie117
    ellie117 Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    I love White Elephant gag gifts. Here are some memorable ones I've either given or received over the years:

- Original Michael Jackson "Thriller" vinyl record from a thrift store.
    - Entire jug of individually wrapped sticks of gum (like, a cheeseball-container-sized jug)
    - A hand-held phone with a spiral chord that attaches to your cell phone.
    - Inflatable 'dolls' from Spencers gifts (NSFW)
    - Anything from Spencers, really.
  • InspectorRed
    Options
    I don't really like white elephant gift exchanges but I usually come up with something nutty like a tacky decorative holiday item and then attach a gift card so the person who winds up with it gets a "real" gift, too. I feel like most places I've participated in these exchanges, like 1/2 the people bring real, nice items, and the other half bring gags. So it's a mess.

By far the worst item I ever received was a Precious Moments angel tree topper. I sold it for quite a bit in my garage sale months later though, so it was a win. :D

I got a "sexy kitten" figurine one year that turned out to be selling on ebay for a nice little sum; I ended up selling mine for about $45 even though it was opened and without the original box!
  • InspectorRed
    Options
    One year at my office, we decided to do a Secret Santa exchange with a twist. We drew names so we knew who we were buying for but the rule was that we had to buy a toy for our recipient that reminded us of them. We donated all the toys to Toys for Tots afterwards. There were some great gifts but this was my favorite:

One woman in our unit was about 5 feet tall. She would always stand up and peak over her cubicle to find someone when she had a question. The person who got her name bought a Whack-A-Mole game. It was brilliant.

That's awesome! :D
  • slessofme
    slessofme Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    I received this in a white elephant at work a few years ago.

qcuwdhtb1i0v.jpg

• InspectorRed
    Options
    slessofme wrote: »
    I received this in a white elephant at work a few years ago.

qcuwdhtb1i0v.jpg

I love it! I gave one of those full of little liquor bottles one Christmas! 😂
  • rdevol
    rdevol Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    My daughter did a white elephant exchange with some kids at school and her gift was a roll of aluminum foil.
  • ANewLookAtLife
    ANewLookAtLife Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    A friend at a party gave someone a can of spotted dick. It is a real thing.