high iorn based foods that tast good

Options
so i just found out i ahev RREEEALLLLYYY low iorn.. i have NO idea what foods have high iorn..... that tast good! any one knwo of any??

Replies

• sharonfincher1
    sharonfincher1 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    all ur of ur dark leaf vegetables... not sure if u like spinach, swiss chard, kale, collard greens, turnip greens and mustard greens...some fish i think
  • djkshdfd
    djkshdfd Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    All types of meats have plenty of iron mainly beef. Iron can also be found in many vegetables, but note that iron from organic sources is not as easy for the body to absorb and iron from animals which is "packaged" in a form our bodys can absorb quickly. Make sure that if you are planning to take any iron supplements that you take them with your food and preferably foods with vitamin C since it helps your body absord it.

I am personally a raw food vegan so I HAVE to take supplements. By following the things I said, my energy levels have gone up and from blood tests, my iron has increased. Hope this helps!
  • hbrekkaas
    hbrekkaas Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Meat is the best way to absorb iron (heme). Spinach and other dark leafy greens are also good, (non-heme), beans, molasses, and baked potato with skin.

If you do take supplements they are best on an empty stomach, or with something that has vitamin C. Things like dairy (because of the calcium), whole grains and certain veggies will hinder absorbtion and shouldn't be eaten with the supplement.
  • sixxx
    sixxx Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Dark greens - the darker the better. I have low iron and I supplement with a multivitamin packed with iron.

I don't eat meat.
  • baisleac
    baisleac Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    When we had to bring my daughter's iron levels up we used this list:

http://nutritiondata.self.com/foods-000119000000000000000-w.html

Combining iron rich foods with Vitamin C rich foods helps too. Vit. C helps the absorption of dietary iron.
  • liza001
    Options
    I have the same problem with finding iron... From a healthy eating book i have and respect is the below table i found it interesting, even though the author doesn't promote vegetarian diet, his top list of "food that contain iron" meat isn't in it. The list below also has calcium and potassium too and shows serving size calories and (%DI) daily recommended percentages

Spinach 1cup/41cals/35.7%DI Iron/24.5%DI Calcium/24%DI Potassium
    Turmeric 2tsp/16cals/10.4%DI Iron/3.3%DI Potassium
    Swiss Chard 1cup/35cals/22%DI Iron
    Basil 2tsp/8cals/7.1%DI Iron 6.3%DI Calcium/2.9%DI Potassium
    Cinnamon 2tsp/12cals/9.6%DI Iron 5.6%DI Calcium
    Romaine Lettuce 2cups/16cals/6.8%DI Iron 4%DI Calcium/9.3%DI Potassium
    Tofu 4oz/86cals/33.8%DI Iron 10%DI Calcium
    Shiitake Mushrooms 8oz/87cals/19.9%DI Iron 
    Shrimp 4oz/112cals/19.4%DI Iron 
    Green Beans 1cup/44cals/8.9%DI Iron 5.8%DI Calcium/10.7%DI Potassium
    Broccoli 1cup/44cals/7.6%DI Iron 7.5%DI Calciu/m14.4%DI Potassium
    Asparagus 1cup/43cals/7.3%DI Iron 3.6%DI Calcium/8.2%DI Potassium
    Kale 1cup/36cals/6.5%DI Iron 9.4%DI Calcium/8.5%DI Potassium
    Celery 1cup/19cals/2.7%DI Iron 4.8%DI Calcium/9.8%DI Potassium
    Cabbage 1cup/22cals/2.9%DI Iron 7.4%DI Calcium
    Parsley 2tbs/3cals/2.6%DI
    Dairy (we all know) did we know that yoghurt was the best by weight and daily value 
    Yoghurt 1cup/155/44.7%DI Calcium 
    Oranges 1sm/62cals/5.2%DI Calcium
    Crimini Mushrooms 5oz/31cals/2.6%DI Calcium/18.1%DI Potassium
    Spinach 1cup/41cals/24%DI Potassium
    Pumpkin 80cals/25.6%DI Potassium
    Tomatoes 1cup/38cals/11.4%DI Potassium
    Collard Greens  49cals/14.1%DI Potassium
    Zucchini  36cals/10%DI Potassium
    Rock melon 1cup/56cals/14.1%DI Potassium
    Carrots 1cup/53cals/11.3%DI Potassium
    Beets 1cup/75cals/14.8%DI Potassium
    Papaya 1/119/22.3%DI Potassium
    Cucumbers 1cup/14cals/4.3%DI Potassium
    Bell pepper 1cup/25cals/4.7%DI Potassium
  • Valechka
    Options
    thank you for the table! I was anemic for some time, not anymore, but still low Iron as always. but sometimes I take multivit and there are some Iron there too. But also it is sooo hard to get of the K in, I mean, potassium.