Anyone do Keto to lose 10-15 and then got off?

Options
I've did Keto with my wife to help her out. I surprisingly dropped 18 pounds in a month from 217 to 199 doing Keto. Has anyone did this and slowly introduced carbs and more working out and has any success doing this? I wonder if this is a good thing or not.

Replies

• spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,683 Member
    Options
    I've lost 10-40 lbs. doing low carb - not keto but just various versions of low carb. Most of the time I ended up gaining the weight back because as soon as I stopped tracking my eating old habits returned. About 9 years ago I lost 45 lbs doing low carb. When I was where I wanted to be, I decided to track my eating to prevent another yoyo so I joined mfp. I lost another 10 lbs when I became a runner and was getting more exercise.
  • JaxxieKat
    JaxxieKat Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    Yes, I did. It was worth it. I did keto for 3 months, came off of it and have continued to lose weight.
  • DiscusTank5
    DiscusTank5 Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    My answer may not be what you are looking for, but I did keto several years ago, lost 15 lbs in two months, and then quit because it wasn't a lifestyle I could maintain forever. My cholesterol also went up 30 points that year. I've had a lot better, longer-term success in just counting calories.
  • vanityy99
    vanityy99 Posts: 2,583 Member
    Options
    I’ve done keto lost some weight, I never gained it back. My experience with keto was good.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    edited November 2019
    Options
    There is nothing wrong with cycling between various dietary strategies. I am using keto for cutting, but haven't decided if I will stay or go higher carb after. And as long as you keep in mind that you will gain some weight back from replenished glycogen/water.
  • lalabank
    lalabank Posts: 1,009 Member
    Options
    I’ve been Keto for well over a year for medical reasons and CICO for 2 years for weight loss. In the last two years I’ve lost about 93lbs. I’ve recently slowly started to add in more carbs- I’m up to about 50g. My goal is to get up to about 100 grams per day. I’m still losing, actually I had plateaued for about 3 months and started to lose again after adding in more carbs.
    I train super hard, about two hours per day of strength, cardio or yoga so maybe that offsets it.
    I am super selective about adding carbs- I picked plain yogurt, garbanzo beans and extra green beans and blueberries for my first round of adding in more carbs.
    Next carbs up to add back are whole oats and quinoa.

BUT when I went off keto for week on vacation with no calorie counting or workouts I gained 10lbs of water weight right away- most of it from chocolate chip pancakes😊 I dropped just as quick back on Keto.

• tdelam
    tdelam Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the responses! All makes a lot of sense, I just needed some clarification! Congrats on the success stories too :)