Why is my sugar allowance so high??

2»

Replies

• lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Who is "you"?

Some answers as to why sugar grams might not match up: recipes sometimes change, sometimes there are similar items that you might be confusing for the one you want, some things have different recipes or sizes different places, and people (users of this site) are sometimes sloppy when entering things they don't care about (like sugar grams).

Odd post to add to this particular thread, but not a bad thread to revive, I suppose.
  • RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    kballsocc wrote: »
    Same here, I find tracking fiber more useful. Sugar I used to worry about when I started but I realized I'm nearly always under lest I have a venti chai tea latte or some treats that add up during the day.
    If you are constantly going over their recommended amount it would be worth looking into what foods you're eating.

Thanks for the help mate, may what are the reasons of so many people stopping tracking there sugars and replacing it with fiber? I understand that sugar is just a carb, so if I'm still with in my carbs for the day sugar won't matter to much, is that the reason?

Fiber helps with digestion in the colon and also helps many with satiety throughout the day. At this point in time if you don't need to worry about carbs, I wouldn't worry about them. Focus on getting enough fat, protein, and fiber and let the rest fall where they may.
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    KarySti wrote: »
    kballsocc wrote: »
    Same here, I find tracking fiber more useful. Sugar I used to worry about when I started but I realized I'm nearly always under lest I have a venti chai tea latte or some treats that add up during the day.
    If you are constantly going over their recommended amount it would be worth looking into what foods you're eating.

So what about if somedays I'm over my fiber? Is that good or bad?

That's good. Fiber, like protein, is better treated as a minimum not as a limit.

For the most part, yes. Too much fiber will cause gastrointestinal distress in some people. But in general, you are better to be above than below.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    I know it's almost a month after Halloween, but it's a zombie thread.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,886 Member
    sm1le_1x wrote: »
    I found out that a lot of products contain wrong amount of sugar. For example Muffin from starbucks or Rice cake(racio) and many others. What's interesting that information about other nutrients is correct. This is a strange fact, why do you hide information about sugar? it's not fair

Unfortunately, the "verified" green check marks in the MFP database are used for both user-created entries with sufficient upvotes and admin-created entries that MFP pulled from the USDA database (no upvotes needed). To find admin entries for whole foods, I get the syntax from the USDA database and paste that into MFP.

Note: any MFP entry that includes "USDA" was user entered.

For packaged foods, I verify the label against what I find in MFP. (Alas, you cannot just scan with your phone and assume what you get is correct.)