Starvation Mode

Options
2»

Replies

• bella51708
    Options
    I didn't have enough food for one day recently. I was with my hubby at the hospital and well you know what hospital food is like. I also didn't want to eat infront of my or excuse my self so I could eat. So after about 14 hours that day in ER we were both crabby and he was shakeing. So I badgered the nurse and told her if there is no tests to be planned soon then he has to eat! :mad: She gave me permission to feed him food and I ate too. Not the best choices were around at that time but we ate. BTW he's OK now.

I know sometimes its necessary to not let a patient eat.. but 14 HOURS?! OMG! He could have eaten and been ready for any test they needed! I hate it when they do that! I am glad they let you feed him! Glad he is ok now =] good thing you were there to badger the nurse!

You think that's bad!! My water broke early when I was pregnant with my son. It was 1pm at work. I went to the hospital and they kept me for a few hours. They decided to transfer me to a regional hospital with a NICU. I had eaten lunch at 12pm. They wouldn't let me eat in case I went into labor. Finally, at 11pm that night, they let me eat something because they assumed I was not going to go into labor. I was STARVING. Anyone who has every been pregnant can vouch for that.
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I think what is more commonly seen on here is people in a plateau for months and months (or weeks and weeks depending on the person). Although they are not in 'starvation mode' their body is not letting go of any weight. More often than not, they are not eating enough to fuel their bodies after logging their workouts and every bite of food. So their bodies are not letting go of any excess weight. I would not label that as 'starvation mode' per se, but it is clear they are not on a path where they are losing the 1lb/week or so to keep it off for good.

I see a lot of "I'm doing everything right" and "I'm working out every day but not losing" Those are the folks that are *stuck* because they are in fact not doing what their body needs, they are not eating enough healthy whole, clean foods daily to fuel their bodies and still lose weight. Some are falling way below their daily recommended MFP calorie goals (set to lose 1lb/week) on a daily basis and wondering why they are in a 'plateau'. You have to fuel your body to lose and not have a deficit to the already built in deficit that the program provides.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/lean-body-mass-maintenance-and-metabolic-rate-slowdown-qa.html

www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/permanent-metabolic-damage-qa.html
  • jazzy020106
    jazzy020106 Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    I didn't have enough food for one day recently. I was with my hubby at the hospital and well you know what hospital food is like. I also didn't want to eat infront of my or excuse my self so I could eat. So after about 14 hours that day in ER we were both crabby and he was shakeing. So I badgered the nurse and told her if there is no tests to be planned soon then he has to eat! :mad: She gave me permission to feed him food and I ate too. Not the best choices were around at that time but we ate. BTW he's OK now.

I know sometimes its necessary to not let a patient eat.. but 14 HOURS?! OMG! He could have eaten and been ready for any test they needed! I hate it when they do that! I am glad they let you feed him! Glad he is ok now =] good thing you were there to badger the nurse!

You think that's bad!! My water broke early when I was pregnant with my son. It was 1pm at work. I went to the hospital and they kept me for a few hours. They decided to transfer me to a regional hospital with a NICU. I had eaten lunch at 12pm. They wouldn't let me eat in case I went into labor. Finally, at 11pm that night, they let me eat something because they assumed I was not going to go into labor. I was STARVING. Anyone who has every been pregnant can vouch for that.

Me!!!! lol.. I have been pregnant TWICE and HATE that if they feel you will be in labor sometime in the next day or even TWO they try to tell you not to eat.. UGH
  • jazzy020106
    jazzy020106 Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    I think what is more commonly seen on here is people in a plateau for months and months (or weeks and weeks depending on the person). Although they are not in 'starvation mode' their body is not letting go of any weight. More often than not, they are not eating enough to fuel their bodies after logging their workouts and every bite of food. So their bodies are not letting go of any excess weight. I would not label that as 'starvation mode' per se, but it is clear they are not on a path where they are losing the 1lb/week or so to keep it off for good.

I see a lot of "I'm doing everything right" and "I'm working out every day but not losing" Those are the folks that are *stuck* because they are in fact not doing what their body needs, they are not eating enough healthy whole, clean foods daily to fuel their bodies and still lose weight. Some are falling way below their daily recommended MFP calorie goals (set to lose 1lb/week) on a daily basis and wondering why they are in a 'plateau'. You have to fuel your body to lose and not have a deficit to the already built in deficit that the program provides.

I have seen that alot here as well.. When I reach a plateau like that I am going to just up my cals a few hundred and that should do it! lol..
  • dmcgoon
    dmcgoon Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    At work there seems to be a bit of a debate at how many calories I should eat. On here it says 1200 and another program my work forced me to do said 1964 but other say 1500 so this may be helpful. I will start with the 1200 and if that causes me to platue or gain I will slowly increase calorie intake (with healthy foods of course. )
  • KateCon912
    KateCon912 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I average about 800-900 calories per day, and when I was losing weight it was about 400-600. I consistently lost weight for 5 months, losing 40 lbs. Now I am maintaining and I feel great! I have been doing this for about 8 months now and I have never had any problem. I am 5'5" 120 lbs, and I am surviving on 800-900 calories per day. I would never eat more. So I really do not believe in starvation mode. I'm never tired, shaky, hungry, losing hair or anything. I guess it just varies per person though.