high intensity workouts and tasting metal??

Options
I've always had problems in cold weather with breathing...it hurts my throat and can taste a mix of metal and blood. So I don't workout in the cold outside. today I accomplished my first full bodyrock.tv workout :) (yay me!!) I found when i was facing the floor, or laying on my back (any horizontal possition) my face would start to burn almost... once I start breathing hard I can taste the metal/blood taste, and I cough constantly after...I do have a doctor appointment on friday and will mention this to her, but just wondering if anyone else out there experiences the same things when working out at a high intensity. thanks!!

Replies

• jfarmer1226
    jfarmer1226 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    It sounds like some sort of acid reflux...have you ever had a problem with that before? I get that sometimes too...it's normally caused by something I ate or sometimes if I'm really stressed out.
  • MrsCon40
    MrsCon40 Posts: 2,351 Member
    Options
    This was discussed yesterday... this is the link I suggested.

http://tinyurl.com/3hrtdjn

:flowerforyou:
  • char2009
    char2009 Posts: 68
    Options
    I only get it when I workout hard or am in the cold air. (in winter I have to keep my mouth covered in order to avoid it)
  • dragonbug300
    dragonbug300 Posts: 760 Member
    Options
    First of all--CONGRATULATIONS on completing your first bodyrock workout!!!
    Second-- I do recall having that sensation, but it was a long time ago. Probably not for the same reasons that you're experiencing, either, unless you're depriving your body of nutrients at the extreme, or going all day without eating before exercising. Seeing the doctor seems like a good idea.
  • Kalrez
    Kalrez Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    I'm not a doctor, so don't take what I'm about to say as gospel.

I would wager that your blood vessels were dilated because of your exercise. This might have either ruptured tiny capillaries in your nose/throat, or because of the dilation, the skin between your nose/throat and your vessels may have been thin enough for you to smell/taste blood (metal). More blood would be in your head when you're face down or horizontal, which could be why you tasted it then instead of when standing.

Definitely mention it to your doctor, but I'm not sure if I would worry too much about it if you don't see any blood when you cough.
  • Kalrez
    Kalrez Posts: 655 Member
    Options

I ... I love you.
  • PanteraGirl
    PanteraGirl Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    Hmmmm my face burns when i lay down too......as for the taste....I get a taste in my mouth too..but have never been able to compare it to something......I will have to keep this in mind the next time i do a high intensity work out. If you don't mind...would you let me know what your doctor says????
  • Lizzy_Sunflower
    Lizzy_Sunflower Posts: 1,510 Member
    Options

And we have a Winner ladies and gents!