The bomb was dropped

Options
Well...the doctor told me change or organize your affairs. Yeeeesh! 67 pounds to lose. My cholesterol is through the roof. After a weekend of self reflection and a family meeting, my daughters are on-board. The girls want to eat crap and I got sick of throwing out the healthy options so I ate like them. Now I must pay! I need a cheering team. Help me!

Replies

• ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    Options
    This place and keeping track will be an amazing help for both of you!! Give it a chance, you'll see! It will take awhile, lots of effort, but you really can and will do this! Keep posting for support and keep track of what you eat. The hardest part for me is turning off that invisible switch that makes me want to eat all the crappy food. After it becomes more of a habit, it gets a bit easier. Make you goals small, maybe 5# at a time. Soon you'll see the #'s disappearing and you'll feel more motivated to keep going.
    Good luck!!
  • elizabetht264
    elizabetht264 Posts: 12 Member
    edited November 2019
    Options
    You deserve a support system made up of professionals who truly understand both the social and biological factors at work!
    You deserve a support system that will help you find a comfortable, healthy relationship to food!
    You deserve a support system that will help you get active in ways that make you feel great in your body!
    You deserve it ALL and you can do it!!!
  • xcc670
    xcc670 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Congratulations for posting here. I'm working on developing a healthy relationship with food. I didn't think I could do this because I thought I was doing everything right. Everything right doesn't end up 70+ pounds overweight. Find a method and stick with it.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Just remember that you need to live as a person who wants to weigh 67 lb less and look fabulous. This is a lifetime change, not a season or a year of super willpower.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    It’s amazing how motivating not dying can be! I’ve lost 125 lbs since my diabetes diagnosis wake up call. You are fortunate in that your wake up call came before a permanent and debilitating illness, or a heart attack. You can become fully healthy! Think how amazingly lucky you are to have this chance ahead of you.

Your daughters may be able to get away with eating loads of calorie dense food today, but learning these habits won’t benefit them in the long run either. What they want doesn’t have to be the deciding factor about what comes into your house. It doesn’t have to be all or nothing - but the food that is just for them needs to be in their space, where you know it belongs to someone else who isn’t you.

You can do this, pulling for you.
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    Options
    As far as the girls and their eating choices, help them steer away from junk food options. It'll only help their health too. Have a discussion with them about picking healthier options together, making menu plans, going shopping. Not knowing the age of your dds, they could be a huge help and this would be a great family activity! Exercise together as a family, just taking nightly walks or doing some dance moves following youtube videos, anything that will get you up and moving.
    Growing up, I can remember begging(yes begging!)my mom to stop buying junk food. My dad was a huge sweets guy, dessert was a must in our house. Her reply to me was 'just don't eat it'. :( It's not easy now and it certainly wasn't easy as a teen. So be THEIR support system while they're supporting you. :)
    I ran an in-home daycare for 39 years and would buy things like graham crackers, 'for the kids'. Guess who ate 95% of them? Yep, me.
    You've got such a wonderful foundation with doing it as a family affair!! I've never had that and it can be tough trying to do it alone. Plus you've got this place!!!
  • hotvwchick1963
    hotvwchick1963 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I am in a very similar situation as you. My heart doctor told me weight is causing my vtec and PVC. So I am here with 180 pounds to lose will 2 sons eat crap. So I know where you are coming from.

Its been a week. I am eating healthy and I'm not hungry. I have gained a few friends for support too!
  • hotvwchick1963
    Options
    xcc670 wrote: »
    Congratulations for posting here. I'm working on developing a healthy relationship with food. I didn't think I could do this because I thought I was doing everything right. Everything right doesn't end up 70+ pounds overweight. Find a method and stick with it.

67 pounds for me! The battle has begun!
  • dejavuohlala
    dejavuohlala Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    Well...the doctor told me change or organize your affairs. Yeeeesh! 67 pounds to lose. My cholesterol is through the roof. After a weekend of self reflection and a family meeting, my daughters are on-board. The girls want to eat crap and I got sick of throwing out the healthy options so I ate like them. Now I must pay! I need a cheering team. Help me!

Hi I have serious health issues and weight gain from medication but I’m still trying although it’s hard. I wish you luck think about yourself and what you want and need to do,
  • MarcyMavin
    MarcyMavin Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Just remember that you need to live as a person who wants to weigh 67 lb less and look fabulous. This is a lifetime change, not a season or a year of super willpower.

Such great insights from you Jerome, always. This reminds of when someone told me to stop treating myself like a fat person trying to lose weight, and start treating myself like an athlete getting back in the game. OP, best of luck in your health! We’ll be doing it together.
  • nighthawk584
    nighthawk584 Posts: 1,996 Member
    edited November 2019
    Options
    My bomb fuse was lit in April of this year when I was diagnosed pre-diabetic. For me, it was fairly easy to flip the switch in my mind to get off my lazy butt and do something about it. Not wanting to die or linger in a nursing home like my Dad did after losing both his legs from diabetes is enough for me to never want to be obese again. I reversed everything in 6 months. My labs are now the best they've been in 25 years. You can do this! Make no excuses though.
  • airforceman1978
    airforceman1978 Posts: 100 Member
    Options

Hi I have serious health issues and weight gain from medication but I’m still trying although it’s hard. I wish you luck think about yourself and what you want and need to do,

Ye medication that cause weight gain sucks I am on 4of themlol but if you log foods every day and stay under you calories you will lose it just slower the normal.
  • hotvwchick1963
    Options
    Well 10 days done. I am feeling okay. Feeling lonely though. My friends like to go out to eat...usually crappy food. I am choosing to stay away until I have more stamina to resist. I must succeed!