Triggers

Options
ldaratha
ldaratha Posts: 29 Member
I noticed today when I was faced with a challenge at work that my first thought was that I needed a snack while I did it. Stress and snacks go so well together. But I didn’t have a snack, and I survived. A lot of times when I feel a snacking urge (but not real hunger) I reach for my super cold (sometimes flavoured) water. And other times I do have a snack.

Replies

• ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    Options
    Stress has always been my main reason for eating. :( And chomping on carrot sticks wasn't the solution for me. That pan of brownies on the other hand. :(
    Now my stress has decreased 98% due to retirement so that's helped me. But when I do feel that 'gotta have something to eat NOW' that's not due to hunger, I pop a mint or stick of gum. Usually it helps long enough to stave off that NOW feeling.
    If you're a tea drinker that can help too, depending on availability at work. I prefer coffee and use that early in the day.
    Good for you with grabbing the water!! Snacks are fine, depending on choices, and can help you not overeat at your next meal. More often than not, I'll eat snacks 6x a day instead of 3 big meals. Seeing my calorie diary helps me focus on what kinds of foods I should have for a snack.
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    I have certain times that I allow myself to eat at work. If it's not that time, I don't eat. Breakfast at 9:30, snack at 11:30. Lunch at 1:00, snack at 3:30.

I pack all the food I'm going to eat for the day so I know exactly what I'm eating. This has really kept me on track.
  • manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    Options
    Your post highlights how we can become very habitual in our eating habits.

For example when I worked in an office at a computer all day I would always have the same thing for lunch. A tuna sandwich a packet of prawn flavoured crisps a particular make of chocolate bar and a bottle of coke.

I would eat this same combination every single day. It was almost a compulsion at the time, I would feel unhappy if I had to change one of those items.

We humans are strange.

• Shahs31
    Shahs31 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Hi
    I snack when I’m stress and when I’m bored and that’s my let down, since I’ve been on this diet I’ve calmed down my snacks and have like a oat bar and that’s it, it’s just getting my mind focused to say I don’t actually need that and once I get past that I’m fine 🙂