Finding it difficult to stay on track

I was doing so good with restricting and now I’m struggling. If I keep on like this I will continue gaining weight. Once I start eating sugary stuff I get addicted so quickly.

Replies

• Go_Deskercise
    Go_Deskercise Posts: 1,630 Member
    edited November 2019
    What exactly are you restricting, just sugary stuff??
  • gypsykit1
    gypsykit1 Posts: 10 Member
    I was very strict with everything. I would allow myself only low fat ice cream every night. Now I want other foods and other desserts. I can’t get that mindset back of being determined
  • Go_Deskercise
    edited November 2019
    Do you log your food?

Why not start with small changes if you WANT to make them?

Most people think that because they are on a diet they can't have certain foods and that is just not true and leads to exactly what you are going through now. Instead of dieting, why not eat what you want but work on proper portion sizes that fit into your calories. You are not looking to diet as eventually you won't be dieting anymore and you will gain the weight back going back to normal habits. You are looking to change your relationship with food and create a healthier every day lifestyle that you can maintain forever. Will you slip up? Absolutely, we all do but you get right back up and start again.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    gypsykit1 wrote: »
    I was very strict with everything. I would allow myself only low fat ice cream every night. Now I want other foods and other desserts. I can’t get that mindset back of being determined

Then stop. You are getting in your own way. You only need to exclude food that you cannot moderate enough to stay within a calorie deficit each day.

Stop making weight loss your goal. Make sustainability your goal and let weight loss take care of itself. The moment you think that it is difficult to stay on track is the moment you need to ask yourself what would make it easier?
  • RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member

Get out of the mindset of being determined and get into the mindset of meeting your goals in a way that you can do for the rest of your life, because this is going to be the rest of your life. Not every day is going to be a good day, so you need a plan that works on the bad days or else you won't be able to keep it up.
  • gypsykit1
    What’s so difficult is I always had a fast metabolism and ate anything I wanted. Since I turned 40 it slowed down and I gain weight instantly if I’m not strict. I do keep a log. I use this site for that. I exercise on my exercise bike but not as much as I should. I do have normal portions, I weigh most things. I’ve excepted the fact that I gain weight quickly. It’s just that I got a taste of how it looks and feels being skinny and even though I’m only about 6 pounds more than I was, I feel like a balloon I hate complaining cause many have much greater weight situations. Also I tend to torment myself and looks at girls in their 20’s and want their bodies.
  • Go_Deskercise
    edited November 2019
    What’s so difficult is I always had a fast metabolism and ate anything I wanted. Since I turned 40 it slowed down and I gain weight instantly if I’m not strict. I do keep a log. I use this site for that. I exercise on my exercise bike but not as much as I should. I do have normal portions, I weigh most things. I’ve excepted the fact that I gain weight quickly. It’s just that I got a taste of how it looks and feels being skinny and even though I’m only about 6 pounds more than I was, I feel like a balloon I hate complaining cause many have much greater weight situations. Also I tend to torment myself and looks at girls in their 20’s and want their bodies.

ummmmm no ...... your metabolism is still just fine. Your metabolism didn't slow down, you did. As we get older we stop being as active as we were when we were younger and people love to use the excuse " once I hit *insert age here* my metabolism slowed down"
  • gypsykit1
    This may be true. However, I exercise now and when I was younger I didn’t. Maybe my body just changed shape a bit. I also think I care a lot more about being thinner now than I did before. I wish I didn’t care so much.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member

Metabolism can be slowed slightly but not because of age. It usually requires a medical condition or prolonged weight loss. Also you cannot gain fat weight instantly. Your weight goes up and down on the scale for reasons unrelated to fat being gained or lost. Read this:

https://physiqonomics.com/the-weird-and-highly-annoying-world-of-scale-weight-and-fluctuations/

• 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,463 Member
    Don’t kick yourself because you struggle. Try to think in terms of reasonable limits. Life has all kinds of limits that we deal with every day.

Weight loss is the result of living with a calorie deficit long term. Consider this- a 120 calorie surplus per day will get most people gaining weight at about 1 lb per month. A 120 calorie daily deficit will get a loss of about 1 lb per month. Look around for some modest changes that you think you can live with. Strict restriction really isn’t required. I’m all for determined. But we aren’t likely to be determined all day every day. Try to pick your fights.