What constitutes intermittent fasting?

Options
I choose to skip breakfast which resulted in a full 12 hours with no food. Does this count? Am I doing it right?

Replies

• mrsjar5311
    mrsjar5311 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    Yes you're on the right track! I started with 12:12 then upped it weekly by 2 hours till I got to 18:6
  • maureenkhilde
    maureenkhilde Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    I believe you are. From what I have read, part of it is to be consistent. Meaning start and stop times should be the same each day.
  • Jerrman29
    Jerrman29 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    So does any calories whatsoever break your fast? Just curious because I drink my coffee with a little creamer in the morning. I'm guessing that would break it.
  • nytrifisoul
    nytrifisoul Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    20:4 is how i been doing this for decades.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    You are doing it right if you are eating at a reasonable level (e.g., not too much or too little) and not too hungry.
  • DedDollChance
    DedDollChance Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Thanks, everyone, for the excellent feedback! I'm still at it, doing rolling fasting periods and I'm proud to report I am under 200lbs again! 199 this afternoon!
  • candylilacs
    candylilacs Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    Whoa, I’ve been doing an IF again every weekend! 😇
  • liftingbro
    liftingbro Posts: 2,029 Member
    Options
    To get the most out of IF you need at least 16:8.

Also note that all of the advantages of IF are primarily general health effects and appetite suppression.

There is zero metabolic advantage fo IF. For some it helps stay on track if they can have 1-2 bigger meals over 6hrs. Some people who have GI issues do better when they fast. These are some of the reasons to do IF.