Matcha Green Tea

Options
I bought some matcha green tea - not the best tasting tea in the world - trying to get used to it! Has anyone else tried it and had any good results?

Replies

• RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    Options
    I have to sweeten teas to enjoy them. I'd say just choose a different tea if you don't like it and mix it with the matcha if you want to use it up.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    Green tea does not have any clear benefit other than the caffeine in it, which may give people a little more energy and therefore help them to burn a few more calories through NEAT/exercise. Research does not show any strong, reliable effects of green tea itself. If you don't like it, don't drink it. https://examine.com/supplements/green-tea-catechins/
  • jadu1536
    jadu1536 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    They say green tea aids with weight loss along with a balanced diet etc. I just drink it to have something warm to drink in the office..
  • foreverblissful
    foreverblissful Posts: 50 Member
    edited November 2019
    Options
    jadu1536 wrote: »
    They say green tea aids with weight loss along with a balanced diet etc. I just drink it to have something warm to drink in the office..

I heard unless you buy the super expensive stuff(ceremonial grade), the matcha you buy will be bitter unless you're willing to add loads of sugar! I've even seen youtube videos of people trying different ceremonial grade brands and still having the same problem… I love matcha, it was first introduced to me as an unhealthy milk tea/latte type of drink lol. YMMV but imo if you want a tea that offers a nice antioxidant profile AND tastes good without sugar, oolong has been my go-to. I buy from Prince of Peace. I'm sure the tea leaves taste better, but I'm too lazy for that and stick to the tea bags. It's 100% organic. You can buy it on amazon. 😊 I heard it helps boost your metabolism too and has helped people with "weightloss." Again like the previous poster said, at the end of the day, tea can only do so much. It's good for your health though, not everything is about weightloss! Just becareful if you're a woman, try not to take it within or 15-30 mins before eating, since it might mess with your ability to absorb iron(forgot the science behind it but you can google it).

I also like to have a warm low/no cal drink. Helps avoid boredom from plain water and warms you up on colder days.
  • jo_nz
    jo_nz Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    I just got some matcha tea last week. I love tea, and thought it would be nice to try something new....I was wrong. It's definitely not for me, no matter what lovely antioxidants etc are in there.
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    Options
    I drink it but I like my tea with some honey in it. Tea has antioxidants and a little caffeine. There is no magic when it comes to weight loss. I do find a bit of caffeine suppresses the appetite though.
  • Lobsterboxtops
    Lobsterboxtops Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    apullum wrote: »
    jadu1536 wrote: »

"They say" a lot of things aid in weight loss. There is no truth to approximately 99% of things "they say." Fat loss is 100% caused by consistently being in a calorie deficit. The only things that aid weight loss are things that help you stay in a calorie deficit.
    I wish "they" would say matcha green tea ice cream helps with weight loss. I love that stuff!

I’ve been known to stop in to my local sushi place for a takeout container of matcha green tea ice cream. 😀
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    Options
    I also love a matcha latte with soy milk. Yum!
  • PrismaticPhoenix
    PrismaticPhoenix Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I'd encourage you to find a tea that you like and drink that. If you want to try to get used to drinking Matcha (especially if you already bought some), that's fine (I tried to get used to drinking green tea, I never did; I don't like it). Finding a beverage that one likes and isn't full of sugar and calories (like soda pop) is surely beneficial and some tea may have some other health benefits (I find that ginger tea can help when I'm feeling nauseous) but the benefits of tea tend to get overhyped.
  • moonangel12
    moonangel12 Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    The only way I drink it is in an almond milk latte with a little honey and vanilla. Still a unique flavor though!
  • IAmWomanHearMeRoar15
    Options
    I use Republic of Tea's Green Tea Matcha. I make a pitcher of hot tea and peel some fresh ginger into it. Then I put it in the fridge and have it iced. It's DELICIOUS!

I also will drink Stash's Rasberry Pomegrante Matcha and their Ginger Peach Matcha. With these I don't even taste the green tea, it just tastes like really delicious tea.
  • weatherking2019
    weatherking2019 Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    @jadu1536 maybe you're not making the Matcha the correct way??
    this link explains how to make/prepare the tea the Right way: https://www.justonecookbook.com/how-to-make-matcha-japanese-green-tea/

I took "tea ceremony" course back when I was in high school in Japan. I haven't made it since! But I do occasionally have Matcha (instant type) that you just add water. It's not supposed to be sweet as you are drinking the tea with "Sweets" that's served with the tea. A little FYI.
  • donidaily
    donidaily Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    I enjoy the taste of matcha but understand it’s not for everyone! I also like it over ice in summer, so refreshing. Sometimes (when I am already stressed/tired) coffee makes me wired and anxious so it’s nice to have tea options too. But, only drink it if you like it! 🍵