Always want more food

Options
Anyone else never satisfied w the amount of food they have? I find that whenever i get food it’s always like two of these and a big portion of this and I’m already thinking of what I’m gonna eat next whilst I’m still eating the first thing. Not really asking for advice but just wondering if anyone else has this issue

Replies

• apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    I think a lot of people have this issue. I feel this way when I'm eating something I don't really want, such as when I try to substitute a lower calorie option for a higher calorie food I'm truly craving. In the end, I do better when I just eat the thing I'm craving in an amount that fits my calories.

Beyond that, many people who experience this find that protein, fat, and/or fiber help them feel satiated. Some people find certain carbs, especially potatoes, to be satiating. There are also folks who feel satiated when they eat a large volume of food, such as a huge serving of low calorie vegetables. Which one(s) work for you is something you would need to figure out through trial and error.
  • Shortgirlrunning
    Shortgirlrunning Posts: 1,020 Member
    Options
    Yup. It’s like I think I’m never going to be whatever food again and so need to have as much as possible. I’m not sure when that started but I’ve just learned to make more mindful choices about my food and moderate my portion sizes.
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,053 Member
    Options
    I COULD eat more every single day. I WANT to eat more a lot of days. I actually do eat more than I need to maintain sometimes but not that often. So I’m right there with you, OP. I can say it has gotten easier (the mental part, wanting) very slowly over time.
  • GlobeYack
    GlobeYack Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I'm actually the other way around and struggling to even reach my minimum calorie intake of 1200. My main meal was in 300 calorie region. I feel sick just thinking about eating anything else.
  • RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    Options
    Yeah, a lot of it was emotional for me rather than physical - boredom, stress, etc. Working on those issues helped.
  • GlobeYack
    Options
    Actually, this conversation has got me thinking. I've always been the same with eating so I wonder if I've actually not been over eating but instead, under eating. They say not eating enough calories can put weight on but I never believed it although now I'm actually considering that possibility. I'm rather active due to my circumstances so I'd be burning off calories and not eating enough could be the reason why I'm also feeling exhausted constantly over the last 2 years. So perhaps, I need to use this app in reverse; use it to see how many calories I need to force myself to eat rather than not. 🤔
  • GlobeYack
    edited November 2019
    Options
    Not necessarily. As stated in my comment, I don't eat often. According to this, it is a big possibility:

"When your calorie intake is too low, you may not get all the nutrients your body needs. Additionally, your body's natural response to a decrease in food can lead to your body's metabolism slowing so that your body can conserve energy. In the long run, this slowing metabolism can lead to weight gain."

Also, I have no idea what you mean by starvation mode.
  • GlobeYack
    Options
    I can see your point and I'm not intending to create and argument about it as I already stated I don't know anything about it and don't believe in it. Although I think the term "starvation mode" is a bit extensive as it gives the impression that it means to starve oneself. In all honesty, I couldn't read the full article due to the appalling language, hostility and derogatory remarks but I understand where you're coming from.

However, you did make a good point about health issues which I have a few of that could be a contributory factor to my weight gain and other personal issues that could also be a factor so I do thank you for bringing that to my attention. 😊
  • cupcakesandproteinshakes
    Options
    OP - yes, I can always eat more. Always. I like feeling full. And I eat far too fast. I have kinda found out by trial and error how to keep myself fuller for longer. It’s definitely protein that fills me up and fruit and veg.

I also find a lot of cardio makes me ravenous and I tend to overeat if u do long sessions.
  • Danp
    Danp Posts: 1,561 Member
    edited November 2019
    Options
    Many people are satiated by a particular macro so can focus their diet towards eating more fat, protein, etc in order to feel full and satisfied. Others are volume eaters, meaning that rather than being satiated by a particular type of food they tend to get/stay full by eating larger quantities of food.

If this is the case then there are a couple of ways to skew your eating to account for this.

One is to pad meals with large amounts of foods which have a low calorie density allowing larger size meals with the same (or very little increase in) calories content. For example a 2 egg cheese omelette would be about 353cals but probably not a very big meal. However if you add 1/2 a tomato, a cup of spinach and a cup of mushrooms to that omelette it adds a whole lot of volume and you get a huge (and satisfying) meal for 398cal. A tiny calorie increase relative to the substantial volume increase.

Another way is to condense daily consumption into fewer meals. This is the approach that I find works best for me. I tend to have a coffee in the morning to get me going (150cal or so), sometimes a little something in the afternoon around 4-5pm (150-200cal). This leaves me with 1500 - 1800 calories for dinner (depending on how active I've been during the day). With that amount left over I can easily have a huge satisfying dinner about 8-9pm every night with enough calories left over for a few funsize chocolate bars to satisfy my sweet tooth.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,436 Member
    Options
    GlobeYack wrote: »
    Actually, this conversation has got me thinking. I've always been the same with eating so I wonder if I've actually not been over eating but instead, under eating. They say not eating enough calories can put weight on but I never believed it although now I'm actually considering that possibility. I'm rather active due to my circumstances so I'd be burning off calories and not eating enough could be the reason why I'm also feeling exhausted constantly over the last 2 years. So perhaps, I need to use this app in reverse; use it to see how many calories I need to force myself to eat rather than not. 🤔

It is possible to under-eat to the point where you become exhausted and do less, so burn fewer calories, slowing weight loss compared to what the rate loss rate "should" be at a normal activity level. Some of the "do less" may be more visible, some of it more subtle and hard to see. The subtle and hard to see parts (which some refer to as "slowed metabolism") are a relatively small amount of calories, in the larger scheme.

For many people, there's probably some reasonable calorie range where energy stays pretty good, so activity level stays up, but weight loss occurs at about the best rate that person can achieve at the time: A caloric sweet spot, if you will.

It's never the case that someone eating fewer calories than they actually need at that point will stop losing weight (fat or lean tissue, in this case). It may be the case that eating less than some ideal amount will lead to water retention, which is a different thing entirely, even thought it's still technically scale weight.

If you, personally, have been exhausted for 2 years, (1) see your doctor for relevant blood tests, because a nutritional deficiency or thyroid condition (among other things) can have this effect, and you need to rule those out first, then (2) if everything on that front looks optimal, then sure, bump your calorie level up a little (100 calories or so daily), do that for a month or so, and see if things improve. If you don't see an increased rate of weight gain, but don't feel better, increase again, and repeat those steps until you get reasonable data.

If you're not tracking as accurately as possible (food and activity, including food scale) while you do this, it's pretty much a stab in the dark, so track accurately if you want to know what's going on. I don't know details about you, but frequently when people report this sort of thing (other people, other threads) the root problem turns out to be either logging inaccuracies day to day, or unreported over-goal days (plus denial), or something along those lines.

None of that seems to have much to do with the OP's question, though.

• kenyonhaff
    kenyonhaff Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    Anyone else never satisfied w the amount of food they have? I find that whenever i get food it’s always like two of these and a big portion of this and I’m already thinking of what I’m gonna eat next whilst I’m still eating the first thing. Not really asking for advice but just wondering if anyone else has this issue

How long have you been eating on the MFP plan? I always find the first 7-10 days it takes a while to "adjust to the new normal". If you've been used to oversized portions it feels...well, a bit unsatisfying let's be honest.
  • weoutherelosingweight
    Options
    Danp wrote: »
    Many people are satiated by a particular macro so can focus their diet towards eating more fat, protein, etc in order to feel full and satisfied. Others are volume eaters, meaning that rather than being satiated by a particular type of food they tend to get/stay full by eating larger quantities of food.

If this is the case then there are a couple of ways to skew your eating to account for this.

One is to pad meals with large amounts of foods which have a low calorie density allowing larger size meals with the same (or very little increase in) calories content. For example a 2 egg cheese omelette would be about 353cals but probably not a very big meal. However if you add 1/2 a tomato, a cup of spinach and a cup of mushrooms to that omelette it adds a whole lot of volume and you get a huge (and satisfying) meal for 398cal. A tiny calorie increase relative to the substantial volume increase.

Another way is to condense daily consumption into fewer meals. This is the approach that I find works best for me. I tend to have a coffee in the morning to get me going (150cal or so), sometimes a little something in the afternoon around 4-5pm (150-200cal). This leaves me with 1500 - 1800 calories for dinner (depending on how active I've been during the day). With that amount left over I can easily have a huge satisfying dinner about 8-9pm every night with enough calories left over for a few funsize chocolate bars to satisfy my sweet tooth.

Yep i 100% agree w this i am by far a volume eater i usually don’t care what i eat as long as there’s a lot of it- that’s why i eat so much celery lol. It definitely gets to a point tho where I’m full but i still gotta eat more. For some reason it’s hard to stop when I’m contently satisfied- I’m never done until either my plate is empty or I’m over full

• ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    Options
    It depends on what kind of foods we're talking about. :) Put veggies on my plate and yes, I can eat just one. But cookies, or anything that's junky, sweet, filled with @rap, I could finish it all off with no problem. :( So it's not hunger that's my issue, it's carbs and needing to eat to fill a void of some kind.