What the heck is negative calorie adjustment?

Options
It looks like it’s best if I turn it on but what the hell is it and why do I now have way less calories available to eat?

Replies

• gemiller87
    gemiller87 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    The negative calorie adjustment is where MFP accounts for exercise calories from a tracking device an adjusts based on estimates vs. your watch or phone step counts/exercise data. IE it might be that your Apple Watch says you burned 1000 calories but MFP would expect you to burn 1500 so it takes 500 away from your available calories left. (just throwing numbers for an example).

This feature should be adjusted on how often you use your watch/tracking device, when it syncs, etc. https://support.myfitnesspal.com/hc/en-us/articles/360032272152-Should-I-turn-on-Negative-Calorie-Adjustments-

I have to watch this sometimes on this because sometimes I take my watch off for work outs and whatnot.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    It looks like it’s best if I turn it on but what the hell is it and why do I now have way less calories available to eat?

It reconciles your actual activity per your device to the activity level you selected in MFP. So if your actual per device is less than what you selected you will get a negative calorie adjustment (down adjustment) just as if your actual activity exceeded what you selected in MFP you would get an increase.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,628 Member
    Options
    It is the tortuous interference of reality be-spoiling our fantasy... and/or what the others said above! :wink:
  • celeryjuicer
    celeryjuicer Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    You can also just add an activity into your daily diary and it subtracts the calories burned from your daily total

• poisonesse
    poisonesse Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    What everyone else said, but when it's set you might be often surprised to find that your actual calorie burn goes up, and not down. When my FitBit was working, I had it set to negative calories, and most of the time I got an extra 200-500 calories, as while I wore my Fitbit all day, I didn't log activities like walking around to shop, clean house, etc. So my "negative calorie adjustments" were actually positive adjustments. ;)