Night time sugar cravings

Options
odaat1
odaat1 Posts: 1 Member
edited November 2019 in Health and Weight Loss
Having problem controlling sugar craving hours after dinner. I eat plant based diet, exercise but I have had a handful of M&Ms, small dish Cherry Garcia ice cream after midnight ( these are my husband’s snacks so it’s something that he can and should have access to in house) again I have a small amount (that’s how i rationalize eating this in the middle of the night!!) but know it’s hurting my goal of losing 15-20 lbs. any suggestions or good ways to avoid and cope?

Replies

• Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    It only hurts your goals if it puts you over calories.

Those are also treats that have a good mix of fat with sugar. Not just sugar.
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    It only hurts your goals if it puts you over calories.

Those are also treats that have a good mix of fat with sugar. Not just sugar.

Took the words out my mouth... combos of fat and carbs. have an apple if ya want something sweet...
  • BarnardSunshine
    BarnardSunshine Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Perhaps plan your day so you can have a helping of something sweet at night. I can’t tolerate sleeping on an empty stomach so I always have something.

Yup, I would start planning for a nighttime snack in your daily calories. That way it's present and accounted for and you don't feel guilty.
    I always plan a small sweet snack/dessert, usually between 60-100 calories, before I go to bed for the same reason. It also has become my body's signal that I'm done for the day, along with brushing my teeth.

• Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,579 Member
    Options
    You can leave room for something sweet at night. In my case I decided to work out before dinner instead of after so eating later helps. After dinner I brush my teeth, wait a bit, then have a large mug of herbal tea with stevia. It's sweet but doesn't give me cravings.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,900 Member
    Options
    odaat1 wrote: »
    Having problem controlling sugar craving hours after dinner. I eat plant based diet, exercise but I have had a handful of M&Ms, small dish Cherry Garcia ice cream after midnight ( these are my husband’s snacks so it’s something that he can and should have access to in house) again I have a small amount (that’s how i rationalize eating this in the middle of the night!!) but know it’s hurting my goal of losing 15-20 lbs. any suggestions or good ways to avoid and cope?

I recently spent a few weeks doing a challenge of limiting my added sugar to the WHO suggestion of no more than 5% of my calories and during this time ate a lot of peaches instead of M&Ms, etc. You can get a heck of a lot more peaches for less calories than a handful of M&Ms :)
  • lorib642
    lorib642 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    I like to have something sweet at the end of a meal. I am working on not overdoing it.
  • Danp
    Danp Posts: 1,561 Member
    Options
    I eat chocolate every night.

Every. Night.

How many I eat is dictated by a combination of how many calories I have left and a trade off of how much I want the chocolate vs how much I'm willing to take the minor hit to my weight loss rate. Sometimes that extra few chocolates is worth it.