Lack of motivation and bingeing ?

Options
I dont know what is wrong with me! If i wasnt such a wuss id have slapped myself in the face by now. Complete lack of motivation for the gym, feeling so low, will eat so well and then have a 10 min binge session on stupid things in the house i.e. crackers, or a tub of grapes, corn cakes with peanut butter. I am so tired from the morning i wake up to the time i get home. I understand mental health is a contender to quite a lot of this. But how do i just bloody get out of this viscous cycle. I am so done with it!!!! Anyone else have the same or has been through the same issues? Any help would be greatly appreciated.. :s

Replies

• Darren225g
    Darren225g Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    It can be a bunch of different variables based on what you've described.

-As for lack of motivation for the gym. I usually set some goals and small challenges, because it gives me a sense of direction and something to look forward to. If i workout without any goals in mind, i tend to get bored and lack motivation.

--You said that you're tired all the time. Not really sure what your diet look like, but I'd say re-evaluate your diet and calories intake because maybe you're missing some vitamins or restricting too much calories. However, it can also be that maybe you're just over training and just burnt out.

-I can relate to the eating well then have binge sessions later on. The only way for me to stop doing that is just to get rid the goodies. If i know that it's around, i'll keep on thinking about it until i give in :'(

• m_onamission
    m_onamission Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I feel that a lot of unhealthy habits I have at some point in my life engaged in always started with really low self esteem, no trust in myself, and incredibly toxic self-talk (and that included a lot of "what is wrong with me" too!). Basically all of that made me feel like *kitten* about myself, so it seemed pointless to go to the gym because I would always be fat and ugly anyway. If, on the other hand, I feel good about myself and trust myself to deal with challenges, it feels like going to the gym/eating an adequate amount of calories from healthy foods/getting enough sleep and generally looking after my physical and mental health is worth it and so I just do it.

Not saying it's the same for you - but just something I have learnt about my late night binges!

Some things for you to consider:
    - are you getting enough (undisturbed and good quality) sleep? do you go to bed and wake up at the same time every day?
    - are you eating enough? are you meeting your micro nutrient needs? have you had a blood test recently? have you spoken to a doctor about feeling tired all the time?
    - what is your goal in the gym and do you actually enjoy the exercise you do? If not, why not? Are there other things you could be doing instead, like a team sport or a different exercise class?
  • XLNC1981
    XLNC1981 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Life is good!!! Look to the good things in it.. we are human and can all feel the way you feel. But you have to be thankful and look to the positives.. everyone has positives.

When I feel low, lethargy steps in as standard but you have to wobble your way out of that.. re-establish some focus and maybe find something to look forward too!

Perhaps buddy up / find a new challenge/club will reinvigorate you... then, don’t look back!

Yes, you can 👌🏽
  • peachvine29
    peachvine29 Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    I can relate. One thing that is helping me in the gym is hiring a personal trainer. I see him once or twice a week and we work on lifting either upper or lower body, he plans out my workouts for the week, texts me my workout specifics the day before, and I screen shot him what I lifted. I like having the guidance and direction, learning new lifts, and praise for my accomplishments in the gym. However, it IS expensive, like $200+ a month... If you didn't want to go that route, I would recommend picking a goal (do a pull up, squat your body weight, sign up for a 5k) to work towards, or pick a lifting program and do it. Or anything to get you active, anything that excites you! Try something new.

As far as food, yeah I'm struggling lately too. Close to goal and don't have as much motivation especially since it is the holidays and my birthday this week. I have been failing lately, I guess what is helping is asking myself why I am going over my calories, what I could have done better, and course correcting. I know I will get there. Also, baking stuff and keeping sweet things or things I like to binge on is definitely a problem for me, as well as a lack of planning my meals. Prelogging really helps with this as does meal planning and being realistic.
  • alexandravictoria88
    Options
    darren556g wrote: »
    It can be a bunch of different variables based on what you've described.

-As for lack of motivation for the gym. I usually set some goals and small challenges, because it gives me a sense of direction and something to look forward to. If i workout without any goals in mind, i tend to get bored and lack motivation.

--You said that you're tired all the time. Not really sure what your diet look like, but I'd say re-evaluate your diet and calories intake because maybe you're missing some vitamins or restricting too much calories. However, it can also be that maybe you're just over training and just burnt out.

-I can relate to the eating well then have binge sessions later on. The only way for me to stop doing that is just to get rid the goodies. If i know that it's around, i'll keep on thinking about it until i give in :'(

Its true, i think i may literally need to wipe out anything naughty in the house and somewhat go cold turkey, as i hate myself for it.

I am definately not burnt out from the gym as i have no motivation to go..which makes me sad as it was something i honestly enjoyed.

I have tried to log my food ..however working at a school my food is cooked for but always tend to go for a healthy protein, fat and carb. I believe i am eating the correct calories for me. I dont know if mfp has the correct settings dojne for me.
  • alexandravictoria88
    Options
    XLNC1981 wrote: »
    Life is good!!! Look to the good things in it.. we are human and can all feel the way you feel. But you have to be thankful and look to the positives.. everyone has positives.

When I feel low, lethargy steps in as standard but you have to wobble your way out of that.. re-establish some focus and maybe find something to look forward too!

Perhaps buddy up / find a new challenge/club will reinvigorate you... then, don’t look back!

Yes, you can 👌🏽

What a positive person you are. Would be so nice to have someone as positive and as willing to come and join me at the gym and motivate me. Thank you :)
  • XLNC1981
    XLNC1981 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    You are welcome. But I think you solved your own issue here... find somebody either via social media / at your gym who wants to buddy up! Make it fun and feel inspired.

It’s even better you share your gains. I train with others and it adds competitiveness / fun!

Training in good days is great but even when you don’t feel up to it... the feeling of not wanting to let down your partner does the rest and it all adds up!

Good luck
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    Options
    Are you an emotional eater? Every kind of emotion would have me running for food. :( Stress especially. Then anger. It's just how I coped with everything. My job was pure stress, especially as burn-out hit more and more. After 39 years I retired and it's a whole different feeling.
    But if you eat your emotions, you could find other ways to cope instead of food?? Or start writing down before you start your 10 minute bingeing, to see why your mind is telling you to do that.
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    Options
    How much are you eating?

Restricting calories too low can create these needs to binge because your body is *hungry*. Many people find themselves caught in this binge-restrict cycle, and one of the big ways to finally break out of it is to eat *more*.

Think of it this way: You're already eating the extra calories when you binge. Why not just plan them into your regular intake?
  • alexandravictoria88
    Options
    ReenieHJ wrote: »
    Are you an emotional eater? Every kind of emotion would have me running for food. :( Stress especially. Then anger. It's just how I coped with everything. My job was pure stress, especially as burn-out hit more and more. After 39 years I retired and it's a whole different feeling.
    But if you eat your emotions, you could find other ways to cope instead of food?? Or start writing down before you start your 10 minute bingeing, to see why your mind is telling you to do that.

I am emotional eater, i try and be good for the whole day resisiting every biscuit and chocolate that comes my way and i get home so tired i cannot stop myself! Its horrendous, and just like you my job is very stressfull and i am literally burnt out. 2 more weeks and then xmas hols lol
  • alexandravictoria88
    Options
    How much are you eating?

Restricting calories too low can create these needs to binge because your body is *hungry*. Many people find themselves caught in this binge-restrict cycle, and one of the big ways to finally break out of it is to eat *more*.

Think of it this way: You're already eating the extra calories when you binge. Why not just plan them into your regular intake?

"Why not just plan them into your regular intake" i know i tell myself this right after I've bloody binged. I am averaging on around 1200kcal and may go over when i binge on rubbish stuff given to me at the school i work or at home. My work is active, as an example i do around 8 to 10k steps a day. When i do go to the gym i obviously eatba tad more, but having no motivation to go has made me feel even worse ..aka.. binging getting worse too.
  • alexandravictoria88
    Options
    Danp wrote: »
    Complete lack of motivation for the gym is an easy one to fix. Don't go to the gym! Somewhere along the way it got into the zeitgeist that the only valid way to work out is to hit the gym which is complete rubbish. All you need is to be active and if the gym isn't fun then find a way to be active that IS fun. There are loads of ways to get exercise, the gym is just one of them.

As for the binges you need to get to the root cause before you can address it. Have a good, hard, honest chat with yourself
    - Are you being too restrictive with your calorie intake? Are you not upping your calories sufficiently when you're more active?
    - Are you depriving yourself of the foods you like? Are you relying on 'willpower' and 'motivation' to deny yourself the foods you enjoy and crave only for the craving to get to much and you end up going nuts?
    - Do your binges tend to be focused on a particular macro? Different people find different macros more satisfying so can you change up your food to include more of the macro you find satisfying.

Thanks so much for this, i will definately write these down and answer this questions and repeat the answers to myself and try to rearrange the macros. Unfortunately with my disordered eating im scared of eating too much of one thing.