Why is my stomach bloated after a tough workout?!?

Options
I'm so confused. I just started working out again and after every High Intensity workout (i.e. abs, steps, weight training) i'm bloated the next day. I'm not overdosing on the water and I usually drink a 16oz. protein shake afterward. Has anyone else felt this, and if so... how do you prevent bloating the next day.

Any advice is good advice.

Replies

• jamiesadler
    jamiesadler Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    I was told this is because your muscles and body retain water after a strenuous workout. It should get better.
  • Zeromilediet
    Zeromilediet Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    I'm so confused. I just started working out again and after every High Intensity workout (i.e. abs, steps, weight training) i'm bloated the next day. I'm not overdosing on the water and I usually drink a 16oz. protein shake afterward. Has anyone else felt this, and if so... how do you prevent bloating the next day.

Sixteen ounces? Is that a normal serving? How much protein is that? Just wondering ...

I stopped bloating by stopping grains and dairy (particularly the casein that's in protein shakes)
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    How quickly are you drinking during your workout. The day after makes me think it's unrelated but if you choke down water too fast on a tough workout it can cause problems, even if you aren't drinking 'too much'.
  • lphipps1
    Options

Sixteen ounces? Is that a normal serving? How much protein is that? Just wondering ...

I stopped bloating by stopping grains and dairy (particularly the casein that's in protein shakes)

I've always had a problem with digesting dairy and I thought this could be the issue. The shakes tend to have yogurt in them...
  • Zeromilediet
    Zeromilediet Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    I've always had a problem with digesting dairy and I thought this could be the issue. The shakes tend to have yogurt in them...

As a test, you could try another source of protein after a HIW and not consume dairy for a week or so. Some people are sensitive to the lactose (sugar) in dairy and others to the casein (protein) and the only way to find out which or both is to eliminate from your diet and after a period add back in to see what effect it has. It's a safe way to test your own body.

I did this years ago when running gave me diarrhea and it was suggested dairy was the cause; turns out it was. No dairy, end of problem.
  • lphipps1
    Options

As a test, you could try another source of protein after a HIW and not consume dairy for a week or so. Some people are sensitive to the lactose (sugar) in dairy and others to the casein (protein) and the only way to find out which or both is to eliminate from your diet and after a period add back in to see what effect it has. It's a safe way to test your own body.

I did this years ago when running gave me diarrhea and it was suggested dairy was the cause; turns out it was. No dairy, end of problem.

Thank you for this! I actually started the test today and will eliminate dairy for a week. I'll see what happens.
  • kittuk86
    kittuk86 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    have the same issue... stomach bloated for the past 48 hrs now.. did lower body & Abs on 15th.. wasnt able to workout for 2 days after that... Why does stomach bloat exactly when you want to wear that nice top.. hmmm... lol