Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Ideas for Incorporating myfitnesspal into work

So I have the unhealthiest office in the country...

That said, my staff, roughly 10 out of 60 women in the company, would really like to lose weight. Everyone is always on and off a diet. We have a "food party" for every birthday, holiday...Tuesday, etc. Any reason to eat, and eat badly. I have already suggested we have a single party each month, potluck style, to celebrate all events for that month. They are all for that, agreeing we are killing ourselves and spending too much in the process.

My thoughts are to add in some kind of fitness board, something that gives them a goal to push for. Helps them see what they are doing. I don't want them to think I am calling them fat, I am not in the best shape myself. I JUST WANT TO ENCOURAGE THEM!

Does anyone have any suggestions? Things that may have worked in their office? Things that would work for them?

Thanks in advance mfp buddies!!
Jo

Replies

• jhuguez
    jhuguez Posts: 15 Member
    What about doing a weight loss contest like a biggest loser format? This can be very motivating for some. Consider having a prize at the end. If you aren't opposed to it, you can have a buy in and winner takes all.
  • Brownski860
    Brownski860 Posts: 361 Member
    Theres are a group of ladies that i work with that wanted to lose weight after they began seeing my progress. So we started a 5lb monthly challenge. Winners get bragging rights. I make them report to me every friday with their dficits for the week. I email every morning a nutritional or fitness tip or even a quote of inspiration.
    So far that has worked for everyone.
  • Artemis_Acorn
    Artemis_Acorn Posts: 836 Member
    Also, at those parties where everyone eats, try to make sure there is a healthier option available. My office birthday party this year was a big bowl of fruit and a yogurt/cool whip dip for those who had to make it 'dessert-y". Everyone loved it.
  • lolomichelle13
    lolomichelle13 Posts: 56 Member
    We just started one on my team at work. 5 of us ladies each set a daily calorie intake (tracked by my fitness pal), resulting in a weekly calorie intake. We created a spreadsheet, that we each need to update with our daily intake... our week's go from Friday - Thursday. We created columns that calculate your weekly intake, and if you are over or under your weekly goal. The person closest to their weekly intake receives $1 scratch off tickets from everyone else and the person furthest from their goal has to bring in a healthy snack for everyone. This week is our first week, but everyone seems excited about it!
  • socialite1
    socialite1 Posts: 109
    What about doing a weight loss contest like a biggest loser format? This can be very motivating for some. Consider having a prize at the end. If you aren't opposed to it, you can have a buy in and winner takes all.

Great idea! My office did this. It was a $10 entry fee. 1st place got 75% of the pot and 2nd place got the remaining 25%. The winner was based on the percentage of weight loss. Someone brought a scale in from home so everyone was weighing in on the same scale. One (unbiased) person was responsible for recording everyone's weight. Weigh-ins were based on an honor system (weigh yourself then report your weight each week). You could also do this with teams of two so that each person is accountable to the other. There is someone to motivate you to make healthy choices. There is also more pressure to perform well since you could potentially be letting down your teammate.

Good luck with whatever you decide.
  • MrsM1ggins
    MrsM1ggins Posts: 724 Member
    My company had a 10 week event where participants committed to doing so many minutes of exercise a week.

At the start you selected the level you wanted to aim for - beginner (90mins), intermediate (120mins), advanced (240mins) or bonkers (480mins) - and that determined how many minutes you should aim for as a minimum.

Employees could participate as individuals or in teams of up to 5 members and the team rankings were posted every week, separated out by level. It certainly encouraged everyone to be more active.

I work for a multi-national, but maybe that could work on a smaller scale for you? It's activity- rather than weight-based, so it might be a better way to get people going?
  • We were doing a weightloss competition for about a year and half. It was a lot of fun and competitive. It turned a little not fun when others began to want to twist the rules and weigh in at home or not on the same scale. To me as the leader I wanted everyone one to have the same accountability. So here's how it worked.

We had 10 women, each paid $10 per month. We would have one monthly winner who would get $30 and then we would have an overall winner at the end of each 3rd month. The 3rd month has a monthly winner and an overall the overall winner and a second place overall wnner. THe first overall winner received $150 and the second received $60. I won a few times so this was really neat.

Another great thing is we saw each other walk on our lunches and we started to bring healthy snacks and foods for the potlucks. Not everyone particpated, but the ones that did had a great time. I would email them once a week and kept everyone encouraged. Think I might try it again!