Obese and starting gym - UK

Hi, I live in the UK and I am classed as obese/morbidly obese possible (unsure of the numbers that make up each category).

How did you all feel abit gym?
How did you get over being anxious?
What exercises did you start with?.

Anyone in the UK on here?.

Replies

• neugebauer52
    neugebauer52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Loved the gym, however initially I didn't fit into / onto any machines / equipment. So I chose water aerobics - the greatest experience ever! Virtually all weight gone but still a good work out. I did make sure to tell instructor about insured knee and they made sure not to give me any exercise to add to the injury. BTW, I live in Cape Town / S.A.
  • Jackie9003
    Jackie9003 Posts: 1,105 Member
    I went with a friend and only ever do treadmill or strider/elliptical. I did try weights but didn't really like it but I intend to try again in the new year.
    I'm in Yorkshire, our gym is Anytime Fitness and is so friendly.

• riffraff2112
    riffraff2112 Posts: 1,757 Member
    I was not comfortable walking in a gym at first either, I did home workouts until I actually learned a few things and was seeing progress. When I was confident and learning to like working out I signed up for the gym and actually liked it more than working out at home discovering that it wasn't nearly as intimidating as I thought, people were just doing their own thing, and there was so much more I could try with better equipment.
    I recommend starting with the basics. Some type of cardio (elliptical, treadmill, bike) simple big muscle group exercises like bench press, squats, shoulder press would also be a good intro to resistance training.
  • XLNC1981
    XLNC1981 Posts: 114 Member
    Becky, make it easy on yourself. Put your anxiousness to one side (whatever the reason.. body confidence, nervousness, confusion).

Just go to the gym and walk on that treadmill, walk and walk until you start to shed some. Confidence will come in time and then you can look to try other exercises.

Focus on you, not anybody else.

Everybody trains for themselves, you should do the same!

I’m in Yorkshire too, not many on here I don’t think but I’m one of them!

Good luck chuck
  • SnifterPug
    SnifterPug Posts: 746 Member
    I am in the UK. I was obese and am now a healthy weight. Most gyms will give you an induction session with one of their staff who will show you how to use all the machines and set a programme for you. Do take up the option. For me it was getting some personal training sessions that made the huge difference but I'd advise you to get comfortable with the gym atmosphere first. Gyms are full of people of all shapes and sizes so the main thing to remember is nobody is going to be staring at you. Good luck.
  • TheChangingMan
    TheChangingMan Posts: 73 Member
    As the above posters have said, folk are interested in their own workout and don't really notice what other folk are up to (unless they are hogging the squat rack). Do take the induction session - they really help. It won't be long until you're addicted!
  • TayaCurragh
    TayaCurragh Posts: 709 Member
    I have a different experience to most others. I never got over my anxiety in the gym, after a while I started to not want to go and it was not going well. I would hate it when there were people behind me or next to me - I know they don't care but I have social anxiety.

I'm sure you will be fine and you will learn to ignore everyone else. But if you don't, it's good to know the gym isn''t necessary for everyone and there are other options. I do my workouts at home and it makes it one less thing to worry about for me.

Good luck in your journey whichever way you take!
  • Shahs31
    Shahs31 Posts: 24 Member
    Hi from uk the first time I went into the gym I was so scared and out of my comfort zone but once I put on headphones I was in my zone and blocked everyone out, I started on the treadmill then eased my way up, tbh I’ve been slacking and been doing home work outs that fits around my schedule I love the about called 7m workout x