PB2/PBfit

Options
ReenieHJ
ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
edited November 2019 in Food and Nutrition
I love peanut butter but it's my biggest source of calories some days. Can the PB2 or PBfit be a replacement? Is it as good? Is it filled with @rap? Does anyone here use it instead of regular pb?

Replies

• MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    It's not the same but it has its uses. If I'm adding stuff to a bowl of fruit and yoghurt or whatever, I use PB2. For toast with a banana or something, I go full hog. I'm loving Nuttzo just now.
  • Luke_rabbit
    Luke_rabbit Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options
    I use it in smoothies and for cooking. Makes a mean peanut sauce!
  • RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    Options
    I don't care for it on its own, but I love adding it to yogurt, oatmeal, or similar.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    Depends on what you're using it for. I mix it into Greek yogurt, and I've also used it for peanut sauce and cookies. The cookies needed quite a few modifications, and they weren't my best; I could probably work on them some more if I cared to. You can't rehydrate it and use it exactly like peanut butter. Because it has far less fat than peanut butter, the consistency would be completely different.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,055 Member
    Options
    I don't care for it rehydrated as a spread, but I like it for making peanut sauce for veggies, or as an add-in to things like yogurt/fruit, oatmeal, etc.

A certain amount of fat is essential to good nutrition. I shoot for around 0.35-0.45g daily per pound of healthy goal weight. For me, a serving of actual peanut butter is a good contributor to that, with nice MUFAs/PUFAs, a little protein, and so tasty.

YMMV.

I'd suggest: Go ahead and buy the powder, in a small size. If you don't like it as a spread, you can use it in the other ways. It keeps well, and is nutritious.
  • extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    edited November 2019
    Options
    I use it all the time. of course it's not as good as the real thing but it's a great replacement. even better if you mix it with almond milk or something rather than water.

and PBFit tastes much better than PB2 IMO
  • Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    I'm going to have to get it for peanut sauce, I stopped having regular peanut butter in the house as I eat too much of it but recently had spring rolls with peanut butter sauce and want to make my own. Do you all add oil to it? I guess that defeats the point.
  • moonangel12
    moonangel12 Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    I use mine mixed in yogurt with mini semi sweet chocolate chips for a sweet treat.

I also mix it with strawberry preserves and a little water (going to try almond milk next time!) to eat with bread or crackers. It’s not exactly the same, but it helps nip the PB&J craving without too much caloric damage.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    Katmary71 wrote: »
    I'm going to have to get it for peanut sauce, I stopped having regular peanut butter in the house as I eat too much of it but recently had spring rolls with peanut butter sauce and want to make my own. Do you all add oil to it? I guess that defeats the point.

I don’t, but it depends on the consistency and flavor you want. A small amount of toasted sesame oil would go a long way.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    My husband uses it daily. He's dealing with non-alcoholic fatty liver and it's a good way for him to have PB with less fat. It seems to take a little work to get the perfect consistency for whatever you're using it for, but it is really good. I eat it with him occasionally in smoothies or peanut sauce for stir fry and like it, too.
  • chris89topher
    chris89topher Posts: 389 Member
    edited November 2019
    Options
    I really like the chocolate PB2. It's very good on english muffins or ezekiel bread. I haven't had it in a little bit though because I sort of got burned out of it from eating it so much. Still have 3 huge jars sitting around (I'm a bulk buyer when it saves a buck, lol).
  • Luke_rabbit
    Luke_rabbit Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options
    Katmary71 wrote: »

2 Tbsp PB2
    1 Tbsp Lite Soy Sauce
    1 Tbsp Natural Rice Vinegar
    1 tsp Sesame Oil

2 servings, 60 cal per serving

I can't have spicy food due to GERD. My husband adds hot sauce to his half.
  • Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the recipes!
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,605 Member
    Options
    I use it for savoury peanut recipes such as satay sauce, West African peanut soup, dre.ssing for gado gado. It's nice tossed into stir fries and curries to give dishes a Malaysian twist.
  • brittanystebbins95
    brittanystebbins95 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    I absolutely love it.
    But, then again, I hate real peanut butter. I can use it in smoothies, or with chocolate, etc, but as a spread or on its own I literally gag. I think its the texture.
    PB2 has all of the flavor but is not as thick and doesn't stick to the roof of your mouth.
  • RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    Options
    I absolutely love it.
    But, then again, I hate real peanut butter. I can use it in smoothies, or with chocolate, etc, but as a spread or on its own I literally gag. I think its the texture.
    PB2 has all of the flavor but is not as thick and doesn't stick to the roof of your mouth.

I don't care for the texture either. I like pb&j but I was always heavy on the j and the pb was just a thin layer.
  • teeenabeana
    teeenabeana Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Like what most people are saying - I looveee it in smoothies and yogurt. I got my parents into it too. I've made a spread with it and added a little liquid stevia and didn't mind it. I bought a huge tub of it at Sam's Club and it expired before I got to finish it! I think it's ok though..right??
  • mjglantz
    mjglantz Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    I like it. Have the one w/little chocolate and it is great on an apple for a nice treat.