My macros #'s seem less than other apps show

I'm new and a little confused. Just seems like my protein amount is low compared to others. Maybe my settings are wrong. I currently have it on lose 2 lbs per week. I'm 5'10", 212 lbs, workout at least 2 times a week. Shows a 50/30/20 breakdown of carbs, fats and protein. Even though on my nutrition wheel the fats and protein are switched for some reason.
2lbs/week .5lbs/week
204. carbs. 298
54. fats. 79
82. protein. 119

Another app shows to loss weight I would need to be around.
140 carbs
74 fats
180 protein

After a few friends mentioned the whole macros thing to me I thought it made a lot of sense. I hear them talk about it being almost hard to eat enough food sometimes. Does my protein amount seem low to anyone?

Replies

• steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,216 Member
    MFP's protein settings meeting USDA RDA minimums but lower than most fitness calculators and what studies have shown to be "optimal" in terms of muscle synthesis in athletes.

Round about way of saying, YMMV. Plenty of users have no issues losing weight with the standard macros but it's easy enough to adjust under the goals menu if you favor another calculator.
  • wigman87
    wigman87 Posts: 2 Member
    So, can I just up my protein 15%, and lower carbs 15%. I dont want to just make something up.
  • steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,216 Member
    wigman87 wrote: »
    So, can I just up my protein 15%, and lower carbs 15%. I dont want to just make something up.

As long as you're hitting your minimums for fats and protein, macros mostly personal preference as they can impact satiety; managing calories is the driver for fat loss.
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    2 pounds a week is a pretty steep deficit. If you find you are really hungry, don’t stop, just consider 1.5 pounds a week for a little gentler journey. Lots of people find eating more protein helps them feel fuller. Some don’t. Yes, just adjust your goals on MFP, but remember they are GOALS, not RULES. It can be a tough adjustment to up your protein a lot overnight.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    wigman87 wrote: »
    I'm new and a little confused. Just seems like my protein amount is low compared to others. Maybe my settings are wrong. I currently have it on lose 2 lbs per week. I'm 5'10", 212 lbs, workout at least 2 times a week. Shows a 50/30/20 breakdown of carbs, fats and protein. Even though on my nutrition wheel the fats and protein are switched for some reason.
    2lbs/week .5lbs/week
    204. carbs. 298
    54. fats. 79
    82. protein. 119

Another app shows to loss weight I would need to be around.
    140 carbs
    74 fats
    180 protein

After a few friends mentioned the whole macros thing to me I thought it made a lot of sense. I hear them talk about it being almost hard to eat enough food sometimes. Does my protein amount seem low to anyone?

Yes, I think your protein amount on MFP is a little low, but I think the other number (180) is unnecessarily high.

A good rule of thumb is to aim for around 0.8 g per lb of a healthy goal weight when at a deficit. 155 is right in the middle of the BMI range for your height, so something like 125 g could be a good goal.

The other app's calorie amount (which probably includes planned exercise) is around 1950, whereas the MFP for losing 2 lb/week (an aggressive goal) is more like 1630, but does not include exercise. With MFP you add in and eat back exercise as you do it.

If the other app is telling you you need certain macros to lose, it's lying. Loss is about calories. Protein is important to preserve muscle at a deficit and because some find it more satiating, but you would be losing at the MFP -2 lb numbers.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,942 Member
    edited November 2019
    A lot of people find 40C 30F 30P to be a good split in weight loss.

Personally, 40C 40F 20P is more to my liking.