Exercise calories way off.

Options
Ok. I’m getting rather fed up. My exercise calories on MFP are so off. I’ve done nothing today and it’s saying I’ve burned 1188 exercise calories.

On days when I’m extremely active doing spin classes, etc the calories burned seems more reasonable but not anywhere close to 1188 cexercise calories burned. The exercise is tracked through my Fitbit. I’m posting this again. Any advice would be welcomed.

Replies

• nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    Either your Fitbit is off, or your activity level is higher than you told MFP.
  • bdonahue12188
    bdonahue12188 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »

I didn’t tell MFP anything. Lol. It normally just syncs as usual. Maybe I should uninstall Fitbit?
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Didn't you like or understand the responses you got in your other thread on the same subject yesterday?

This really isn't a tool problem it's a......

s1mc3e7q6ifn.jpg
  • Danp
    Danp Posts: 1,561 Member
    edited November 2019
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    Didn't you like or understand the responses you got in your other thread on the same subject yesterday?

This really isn't a tool problem it's a......

s1mc3e7q6ifn.jpg

Back when I worked an IT helpdesk we used to raise 'PEBCAK Error' tickets to our onsite engineers.

Problem Exists Between Chair And Keyboard

It essentially was intended to warn the guy doing the visit that the user was likely to be problematic and unwilling to listen.

There were also 'One D Ten T Errors' for when people did stupid things and broke stuff. AKA '1d10t errors'
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,055 Member
    Options

I didn’t tell MFP anything. Lol. It normally just syncs as usual. Maybe I should uninstall Fitbit?

When you set up MFP you told it an activity level, and some personal characteristics like weight, age, sex, etc. It then estimated how many calories you burn daily on average (before intentional exercise if you followed the directions correctly when you set activity level). It then took your weight management target (lose a pound a week, maintain weight, gain weight, that sort of thing), figured out how many calorie cut that would take, and subtracted that from the average number you burn. Since you are male, it compared that result to 1500 and set your calorie goal at the greater of 1500 or the daily burn estimate minus the weight loss target.

Your Fitbit also knows some stuff about you, and uses some stuff that isn't a calorie measurement to estimate how many calories you burn daily, in a personalized way, differrent every day because each day differs. It includes exercise, non-exercise activity, calories you're estimated to burn just being alive and breathing, etc.

When you synch your Fitbit to MFP, the two of them have little electrono-chats now and then, and compare what's happening. If your Fitbit tells MFP you've burned more calories (in its estimation) than MFP expects (from your profile data), then MFP gives you more calories to eat (the adjustment). Those may be exercise calories, or daily life calories. If you have negative adjustments enabled (probably a good plan), it can also subtract calories.

That's more or less what people are trying to tell you. It isn't necessarily just exercise that accounts for the adjustment. It's everything you do, i.e., anything that Fitbit rightly or wrongly imagines means calorie burn.