Antidepressants

Options
I have been very blue again and always get like this the same time every year. I have much to feel thankful for and just don’t understand where all I want to do is sleep and cry. I have tried Prozac but made me so sleepy I stopped the first week cause o couldn’t even function. I have taken Celexa but it made me not care about a thing and feel numb. And Wellbutrin made me so mean and angry. I never have any of them a chance because I hate taking pills and all the side effects like headaches and teeth grinding are horrible. But I want to feel better and don’t want an antidepressant that will make me gain weight because I’d be even more depressed. Please no nasty comments of just “walk it off” because I do and if that were possible to alleviate these feelings there would be no shrinks and antidepressants. Just would love to hear experiences! Thanks 🙏🏻

Replies

• mhoneyghan
    mhoneyghan Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    i tried prozac way back in the day and didnt last long as you say but for me it was the way i didnt feel anything which was by far the worst part of taking it. ive been on sertraline for the last 12 months and while its no where near as bad its still has its side effects but i think im better on them at the minute. i have put weight on while taking it but that just down to me been lazy with food, finally starting training again which is making me heavier at an accelerated pace (some fat/some muscle)

- im back at doctors next week month and have been considering asking to go on welbutrin - he wasnt keen when i asked as its an old drug.
    - i know none of this has helped you at all but thats my experience in a nut shell but ive gained some knowledge from you as i grind my teeth really bad to the point the dentist is really worried (while giving me a root canal hahahah) so know i got some sort of idea why i may have started to, thank you.

i understand how you feel about having loads to be grateful for but still being down, thats hard and i get why people who have never been through it dont see how you cant just 'sort it out' and its not their fault the same way i cant understand how anyone doesnt like bacon!!!! :o
  • puffbrat
    puffbrat Posts: 2,806 Member
    Options
    Have you tried talking with counselor? That could be a good alternative for you, especially if this hits you at the same time every year.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    Have you and your doctor considered a SAD light?
    if this happens every year, it might be related to seasonal affective disorder
  • katermari
    katermari Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    effexor is the best thing to ever happen to me, 21 years and counting.
  • Pickle107
    Pickle107 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Sometimes you have to keep trying different meds to find one that works and agrees for you. It took my psychiatrist to prescribe me 2 (ariprazole/Abilify and venlafaxine/effexor) together which has finally got me to a stable place where I have gone back to work 8 years after the initial breakdown. It's crappy but it's worth grinding on and asserting what is liveable with for you. You don't have to put up with a drug that isn't for you. You might need to compromise but hopefully it'll be a workable compromise.
  • Ruatine
    Ruatine Posts: 3,424 Member
    Options
    If you always experience depression in fall/winter, you may be experiencing seasonal affective disorder.

I've experienced depression and mild OCD since I was a teen and finally sought treatment for it this year. Lexapro works really well for me at stabilizing my mood and eliminating intrusive thoughts.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Talk to your doctor about how long you should try them before discontinuing, and if you need to taper off in a particular way. Unfortunately finding the right Ned can be a lot of trial and error with no clear path. Keep in close touch with your doctor. Sometimes a combination is best.
  • grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,154 Member
    Options
    mbaker566 wrote: »
    Have you and your doctor considered a SAD light?
    if this happens every year, it might be related to seasonal affective disorder

I was about to suggest this as a supplement to conventional treatment and meds. I've been using one for awhile now, and have found it to be somewhat helpful. It's not enough by itself, but it can be a much-needed boost.
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    Options
    I’m on amitriptyline, 50 mg. No weird side effects and it works great.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    Have you read about niacin for depression? I also think getting more sunlight and a SAD light would help.
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    I'd echo what other people have said, it doesn't sound like you were on any of the meds for long enough to a. get through the typical side effect phase (most side effects abate after a handful of weeks on a given drug) and b. to allow the drugs enough time to actually work (if they're going to) or even build up a therapeutic dose. I would also suggest finding a therapist, especially if you don't want to or can't go the med route.

Even if you are willing to try meds again and they do end up working for you, I would suggest looking for a therapist. Antidepressants don't work for quite a lot of people, but it doesn't sound like you've given them enough time to make an accurate call on whether or not they work for you.