Can hips shrink after having kids?

AliUnrau
AliUnrau Posts: 405 Member
The other day my mother told me that when she lost weight after she had us kids that her hips never got any smaller. I had C-sections with both of my children and i was wondering if anybody knows if this is true or not! I got a little sad after she told me that because my hips are huge at the moment :( Also if you have any before and after pictures to give me some extra encouragement that would be fantastic!

Replies

• DjinnMarie
    DjinnMarie Posts: 1,297 Member
    Sorry, not really.

I'm in better shape now than before I had kids, but my hips are still wider than pre kids. I kind of like it though. It's a small increase, but still there. I just bulked by butt. It makes my waist appear smaller and gives me a more hour glass figure. Wide hips on a fit body is definitely not a bad thing (especially when paired with a squat booty!). Just make it work for you!

I don't have any before and after pics, but my profile is open for pic viewing ;)
  • Ifly4free
    Ifly4free Posts: 203 Member
    Of course they can shrink. Just like your boobs, hands (wedding ring get loser), face or any other part of your body. You keep losing and they will shrink....No Doubt About It!
  • janesmith1
    janesmith1 Posts: 1,511 Member
    Genetically, I have thunder thighs and huge hips, and when I was doing High & Tight with Leandro, on the Brazil Butt Lift video the hips and thighs were shrinking, so it definitely works. I was pretty skeptical but it really seems to work.
  • DjinnMarie
    DjinnMarie Posts: 1,297 Member
    Of course they can shrink. Just like your boobs, hands (wedding ring get loser), face or any other part of your body. You keep losing and they will shrink....No Doubt About It!

Pregnancy can and does result in a wider pelvis.
  • westcoastgrl21
    westcoastgrl21 Posts: 172 Member
    If your hip BONES actually dilated during pregnancy, then the answer is no, they will not go back to their previous size. If it's simple weight gain that you're carrying in your hip/butt area, then yes of course you can lose that weight.
  • aharper84
    aharper84 Posts: 67 Member
    Ugh! My hip bones are definitely wider set since I had my third child. I will never be the size that I was before I had him because of how my hip position has changed.
  • AliUnrau
    AliUnrau Posts: 405 Member
    thank you ladies :) i guess i will have to figure it out when i get there
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    If your hip BONES actually dilated during pregnancy, then the answer is no, they will not go back to their previous size. If it's simple weight gain that you're carrying in your hip/butt area, then yes of course you can lose that weight.

This. You probably have a combination of both going on.

I don't think my bones actually got any wider but they were wide enough to begin with.
  • ash_shell
    ash_shell Posts: 6 Member
    I had a c-section, but was dilated to 5cm before I was sent to the OR. I am overweight, but I don't think my hip bones are significantly bigger than they were. It seems like it's just the fat that makes my hips seem big. Once you lose the weight, you'll be able to tell if your hips have changed, but don't worry about it. I doubt anyone will notice.
  • Absolutely. If you have fat on your hips and you lose weight, you'll probably lose inches in your hips. I know I did. My hips topped out at like 52". Now they're 47". I have one kid.

If your actual pelvis got bigger after kids, and you're lucky enough to not be carrying a lot of fat in your hips, they probably won't shrink. Losing weight can't make your bones change position.
  • HappyAnna2014
    HappyAnna2014 Posts: 214 Member
    Bone-wise, your hips won't shrink. Mine didn't. I weighed less after having my son than I did in high school, like 10 to 15 lbs less, but I couldn't even pull up my high school jeans. I was seriously bummed. But it was worth it to have him. :)
  • BombshellPhoenix
    BombshellPhoenix Posts: 1,693 Member

^this. Both my babies barely made it out via natural delivery. I doubt my hip bones are the same afterwards.

That being said I was a size 5 and 125 lbs in high school and I'm now a size 2 and 120 lbs. So, it's not the end all.
  • cinthianagel96
    cinthianagel96 Posts: 1 Member
    Mine was totally thr opposite, I got pregnant when I was 18 with my 1st baby, I had wide hips and I loved it, had my baby almost at 19, and lost all the baby weight but I had no butt and no hips at all, it all went away, I have 3 kids now and I'm working my *kitten* off literally to grow some muscle because my hips completely went away with this pregnancies, and I'm wondering if they will ever come back or my bone structure possibly changed with each pregnancy like WTF😔
  • Pipsqueak1965
    Pipsqueak1965 Posts: 397 Member
    You can definitely lose the fat - I had my son when I was 36, and my hips are narrower now than they were before - because I've lost the love handles and firmed up and lifted my bottom through exercise.