Summer is Ending now WHAT!?

Options
Okay my past issue is a yo-yo weight gain/loss each year. I get it off then it all comes back especially toward the end of the year. When all the sweet succulent holiday foods come back. Also (for some of us) when the weather gets cold you want something hot/warm like soups (full of sodium!), breads (carbs! Eeeck!), pies/desserts (sugar rush!), mac-n-cheese (more carbs!), yams/sweet potato casserole (mouth watering!).

When I'm cold I can't snuggle up to a salad - is it just me? Labor day is this weekend which means the pools will close and it's no longer "summer".

What's your plan of attack . . . do you have suggestions?

Replies

• kitinboots
    kitinboots Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    Soup. Green tea. Roast veggies.
  • trailrider1963
    Options
    I get SAD very badly in the winter and symptoms are severe cravings for carbs, along with extreme fatigue. I always gain. This year I plan to try 2-3000 IU daily Vit. D, a light box, and some herbal antidepressents (St. John's Wort, something like that.)
  • SKP1986
    SKP1986 Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    I am planning on doing a lot of homemade soups and stews and drinking lots of hot tea. As for holiday treats, I plan on indulging but only a little, and the only thing I am going to make and have in the house is decorated Christmas cookies. Usually I have fudge and haystacks, church windows, and all sorts of other things, but I know that I have to keep things limited.
  • Forensic
    Forensic Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    Noooo.... Labor day means I can go outside without melting again. :) I hate summer. Hot, sticky, gross. Give me eleven months of spring and fall, please.

Make your own soups. Easy, and no where near as much sodium. Nomnomnom.
  • getfitdiva
    getfitdiva Posts: 1,148 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your ideas - I really do need to make my own soups. My weakness is cheddar broccoli at Panera Bread - ugh. Will have to copy that w/o all the added sodium.
  • anulle2009
    anulle2009 Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    i started to get sad about summer when I saw the corn by my getting brown near the base. I love fall, but I hate winter, dealing with IL winters are horrible! Homemade soup and stews sound soo good. I think I will haev to stock up on some recipes!
  • keiraev
    keiraev Posts: 695 Member
    Options
    Hey- we are the same height with the same goal weight :)

I think winter is going to a huge challenge for me, always the time of year I lay down my "winter layer"..NOT going to happen this year!

I am going to make sure I get to my goal weight and then maintain it, maybe lose a couple more before Christmas so I have some room to manoeuvre - I ALWAYS put on about 5lb over the festive season and I don't want that this time around.
  • hypotrochoid
    hypotrochoid Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    Nomolicious broccoli cheddar soup... less than 300 calories a serving.

http://www.skinnytaste.com/2010/12/broccoli-cheese-and-potato-soup.html
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    I get SAD very badly in the winter and symptoms are severe cravings for carbs, along with extreme fatigue. I always gain. This year I plan to try 2-3000 IU daily Vit. D, a light box, and some herbal antidepressents (St. John's Wort, something like that.)

I take 5,000 IU of Vitamin D all year round and found since last fall and winter to be a huge difference.
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    Okay my past issue is a yo-yo weight gain/loss each year. I get it off then it all comes back especially toward the end of the year. When all the sweet succulent holiday foods come back. Also (for some of us) when the weather gets cold you want something hot/warm like soups (full of sodium!), breads (carbs! Eeeck!), pies/desserts (sugar rush!), mac-n-cheese (more carbs!), yams/sweet potato casserole (mouth watering!).

When I'm cold I can't snuggle up to a salad - is it just me? Labor day is this weekend which means the pools will close and it's no longer "summer".

What's your plan of attack . . . do you have suggestions?

Make your own soups so you can control the sodium in them................

I simply stay away from the breads, pies, cakes, cookies, I no longer make mac and cheese and sweet potatoes are baked and sweetened with some Sweet Leaf Stevia, butter and cinnamon.
  • marybsalmon
    marybsalmon Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I agree with Forensic:
    Noooo.... Labor day means I can go outside without melting again. :) I hate summer. Hot, sticky, gross. Give me eleven months of spring and fall, please. Make your own soups. Easy, and no where near as much sodium.

But I live in Texas where it is so hot you can fry eggs on the sidewalk!

When you make your own soups just use the low sodium broths/stocks. You can really control what goes into your homemade versions. Also fix roasted vegetables...even those sweet potatoes can be cubed and roasted with seasoning and they are delicious and good for you.
  • getfitdiva
    getfitdiva Posts: 1,148 Member
    Options
    Fantastic ideas and I really need to prepare mentally to make more of my own comfort foods that are controlled.
  • ambermichon
    ambermichon Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    fortunately I live in Florida. Its warm here til November often times! :-)