Weird Question about Water...i need help guys

Options
OKAY so i know this is probably unheard of BUT when i drink alot of water (about 3 to 6 cups in a few hours) i start to feel very sick to my stomach. AT FIRST i thought it was the tap so i switched to buying Poland spring.. i tried filtered and got the same results so buying it was sort of an only option.

THEN i though maybe it was bpa from the cups but that only effects kids lol so i didnt look to far into it other then switching to glass cups.

when i switched to poland springs my symptoms were less severe but basically the biggest symptom i notice is needing to go to the bathroom...and not to pee guys lol

its an immediate effect after drinking a lot of water at once. i would go to a doctor but i dont have enough for a copay so i figured i would try here first.

Replies

• seardefilip
    Options
    something to consider- how much water had you been consuming, when you begin a new regimine you need to allow for your body to adjust and sometimes that can take a couple of weeks-
  • milaxx
    milaxx Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    Go to the doctor you may be in the beginning stages of an infection.
  • emgs52
    emgs52 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    try room tempature water
  • gerink
    gerink Posts: 50
    Options
    I have the same problem. I can only drink 2 glasses at a time in a space of 2-3 hours of a get sick. I used to be able to drink quite a bit without an issue. Now that I'm older or heavier it seems to have really affected me. If anyone knows what this is all about please post. thanks.
  • laurendough
    Options
    Your stomach is probably hurting because it's being stretched. A lot of water can hurt your stomach, just like a large meal can. As a rule of thumb, if your stomach starts to hurt, stop drinking for an hour or two. Unless you are getting ill, there is no reason to go to the doctor. They will just say, if drinking that much water makes you feel sick, then don't do it. While I highly doubt you are drinking anywhere close to the levels at which this occurs, there is such a thing as water intoxication where your electrolytes get out of balance from too much water consumption.

Also, the bathroom thing happens to me from time to time, I wouldn't worry about it too much.
  • marybsalmon
    marybsalmon Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    If I drink a lot of water in a short amount of time, I get stomach cramps and feel sick to my stomach too. So I just drink a glass of water every few hours. I also think that too much water at one time can flush the system of important nutrients like salt and potassium so it's important to make sure you're keeping your levels ups.
  • missella30
    Options
    THIS IS NORMAL, you don't need to go to the doctor... if you aren't used to drinking that much water and then you start drinking a lot, it's flushing your system. It will eventually die down! I went through the same thing! NO need to worry! Unless it continues for a long period of time. It is normal to have a BM 3 times a day... that's NORMAL!!!! NO need to fret!
  • sunshine__angel
    sunshine__angel Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    Well first of all let me start by saying I haven't personally heard of this before. I would definitely recommend talking to a doctor if possible, but I also looked briefly online and it seems you are not the only person with this problem. There are forums online where people talk about how water makes them feel sick and nauseous. It definitely could be a contaminate in the water but some were suggesting it could be a symptom of IBS. One person mentioned that adding a bit of honey to the water actually helps his stomach when it reacts to water. I also saw some people saying that colder water effects them more negatively. They also mentioned to drink it slowly and take a deep breath afterward.. and try to build up your tolerance by drinking a little bit each day and adding more as the days go on.

Has this been a problem your whole life? Do you think it has anything to do with what you are eating? And are you drinking other things throughout the day as well as water? I think you should try and talk to someone about it if you can because that is a bit odd, and you don't want water to be making you sick if you can help it! I hope you find a solution and sorry I couldn't be of much help!
  • Sonaew
    Sonaew Posts: 6
    Options
    Hello, maybe you should try one of the websites where you can ask a doctor about your systems, http://symptoms.webmd.com/. It could be that your body is not use to consuming a lot of water in a short period of time, and your flushing out your bowels??? It's always best to consult a medical professional. Good Luck!
  • Articeluvsmemphis
    Articeluvsmemphis Posts: 1,987 Member
    Options
    I've never heard of that. are you saying you have a bowel movement right after you drink water? {link below}maybe that could be a starting point? Please feel better soon, doesn't sound nice.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/337308-stomach-pain-and-bowel-urge-after-eating-and-drinking/
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    Were you previously drinking very little water and suddenly started drinking a lot and this all happened? Or did this happen without changing water consumption? I'm thinking if you're new to drinking a lot of water throughout the day, your body is going to take a little time to adjust. You're also likely flushing yourself a bit, which is probably a good thing. Pain, however, is not. Try to pace yourself and drink maybe a little slower or a little less. If this keeps up more than a few days, it's probably worth seeing a doctor, copay or not.
  • iTim__
    iTim__ Posts: 6,823 Member
    Options
    So you get sick when you drink a lot of water at once? How about sipping water instead?
  • kpopa
    kpopa Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    I agree with all of the above!!

If you haven't been drinking a lot of water before and now you are then your system may be in shock and trying to get rid of the "poison"...so try drinking slower and go with room temp water. Sip, don't chug. Do that for a bit and then hit up the doc if nothing has changed.

Also, perhaps it's not the water making you ill? Are you increasing fiber? or inducing any more shock into your system from other things??
  • poohpasmommy
    Options
    You don't need the help of the medically challenged... ha ha. Go and seek the advice of your doctor!! SOON!
  • sarahazelnut99
    sarahazelnut99 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Your stomach is probably hurting because it's being stretched. A lot of water can hurt your stomach, just like a large meal can. As a rule of thumb, if your stomach starts to hurt, stop drinking for an hour or two. Unless you are getting ill, there is no reason to go to the doctor. They will just say, if drinking that much water makes you feel sick, then don't do it. While I highly doubt you are drinking anywhere close to the levels at which this occurs, there is such a thing as water intoxication where your electrolytes get out of balance from too much water consumption.

Also, the bathroom thing happens to me from time to time, I wouldn't worry about it too much.

i feel the same way about going to a doctor.
  • mashanda
    mashanda Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    are you gulping water? is the water cold? I used to feel sick t the stomach but I was drink ice cold water. Also I would just gulp it down instead of sipping on it. one of the articles below says that going to the restroom 7-12 times a day is okay for most healthy people.

couple articles from WebMD about water:
    http://www.webmd.com/diet/guide/wonders-of-water

http://www.webmd.com/balance/features/water-water-everywhere-feature
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I'm wondering a couple of things about your water intake... Are you chugging or sipping? Are you drinking really cold water? If you're chugging cold water....this is just a theory but I'm thinking that would be kind of like brain freeze. You're quickly changing the temperature of a part of your body and the muscles and nerves are bound to react. If you're slowly sipping water througout the day then I have no idea why you would react like that.

I did notice that you went way over 8 cups one day - you really don't need to drink that much. There is such a thing as overhydration, which will mke you sick.

Also, are you using the right measurement for a cup? Some people confuse "container" or "glass" with "cup" and some drinking containers/glasses could hold as much as 3 or 4 cups worth depending on size. Make sure you're drinking an actual cup (8 fluid ounces or 250ml).

Wanted to add - I can kind of relate to your reaction. For some reason, my system is really sensitive to different water sources. If I go to a new state/town, I have to drink bottled water or risk major digestive distress.
  • charkleroad
    charkleroad Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    the effect you speak of is from the same reaction you get from taking a laxitive they work by taking water from you blood and send it to you colon an excess amount of water can have the same effect first it will swell you stomach the it moves to blood stream your body will purge excess water into your kidneys and colon also keep in mind thet drinking alot of water can also lower you electrolite levels and cause other problems
  • PanteraGirl
    PanteraGirl Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    I'm the same way.... I drink a lot in a short amount of time. But when it makes me sick is when I drink the water to suppress my hunger or if I haven't eaten properly that day
  • cjw6
    cjw6 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    You are not 'reacting' to water, and it has nothing to do with the tap, the water brand or the substances in your cup.

If you fill your stomach and stretch it, your tummy can be uncomfortable.
    A normal reaction of your gut to being stretched is called the 'gastro-colic reflex' which is why you have the urge to defaecate after meals and when your stomach is stretched with water. This isn't IBS or a medical condition.
    Having a lot of water in your system will also mean your stools are more liquid/soft (sorry there's no other way to put it!).

Things will probably settle down, slow down your drinking and don't worry too much.