Yoga? Meditation? Anyone?

Options
2»

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,906 Member
    Options
    Danp wrote: »
    I don't know if 'yoga' and 'mediation' belong in the same sentence.

I tried yoga once or twice and to be frank it was quite possibly one of the least relaxing and meditative thing I've ever done! LOL
    vanityy99 wrote: »
    What he said.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and speculate y'all's classes were not "beginner," "gentle," or "restorative" yoga.
  • vanityy99
    vanityy99 Posts: 2,583 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

I tried yoga once or twice and to be frank it was quite possibly one of the least relaxing and meditative thing I've ever done! LOL
    What he said.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and speculate y'all's classes were not "beginner," "gentle," or "restorative" yoga.

Your speculation is wrong.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I do a Vinyasa class a couple of times a week, and a mat Pilates class a couple of times a week. Lately I've been adding more cardio and weights too.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options

What he said.

Some teachers are very bad at understanding what “beginner” yoga is. In my first class, which was advertised as a “beginner” class, everyone around me was doing Crow pose and I felt like a yoga failure because I couldn’t do it. Crow is not a beginner pose for most people, but the class implied that it was. I was so discouraged that I didn’t try yoga again for about five more years. I still can’t do Crow.
  • kshama2001
    Options
    apullum wrote: »

What he said.

Some teachers are very bad at understanding what “beginner” yoga is. In my first class, which was advertised as a “beginner” class, everyone around me was doing Crow pose and I felt like a yoga failure because I couldn’t do it. Crow is not a beginner pose for most people, but the class implied that it was. I was so discouraged that I didn’t try yoga again for about five more years. I still can’t do Crow.

That was my next guess - a mischaracterized class.

I once went to a weekend retreat that was supposed to be for "all levels" but was mostly hardcore Ashtangis. One teacher seemed bemused when I sat out the parts I wasn't comfortable with, but my experience in the military had taught me to recognize when I need more instruction.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options

I go to a beginning class and find it very relaxing--unless our normal instructor can't and we get a substitute. Totally different class, I find it frustrating. I think the right instructor makes the class. I'd try elsewhere if you're interested in yoga. I love it.
  • Muscleflex79
    Muscleflex79 Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    another vote (for anyone interested) for yin yoga. I am totally not a traditional yoga person and found a lot of the classes I tried way too much work (when I was looking more for relaxation/stretch/etc.) Once I tried yin yoga I was like this is it!!
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,136 Member
    edited November 2019
    Options
    I've been using the Calm App for around 18 months (similar to Headspace which was mentioned earlier) which includes some basic yoga videos, lots of guided meditations, video classes, music, breathing exercises, mood check in and sleep stories amongst other things.

It has been a game-changer for my insomnia and my work stress.
  • kshama2001
    Options
    I've been using the Calm App for around 18 months (similar to Headspace which was mentioned earlier) which includes some basic yoga videos, lots of guided meditations, video classes, music, breathing exercises, mood check in and sleep stories amongst other things.

It has been a game-changer for my insomnia and my work stress.

I've been exposed to meditation for over 20 years, but am very resistant to it. However, when I have an acupuncture treatment, during the 25 minutes she leaves me alone on the table I don't have much choice other than to meditate. This has been extremely helpful for my work stress. The acupuncture isn't doing all that much for my golfer's elbow, but since it is helping with work stress, I continue to go. (I know I'm not going to meditate on my own.)
  • VpinkLotus
    VpinkLotus Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    Yoga by Adrienne on YouTube is great. She’s very beginner friendly and you can do it anytime. Especially this time of year it’s so important not only for mental calm, but if you live somewhere that it’s starting to get cold this will effect flexibility quite a lot. It’s extra good for us to try to stretch and work on flexibility it times when the weather gets cold. I think it’ll be a great addition
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,981 Member
    Options
    apullum wrote: »

What he said.

That was my next guess - a mischaracterized class.

I once went to a weekend retreat that was supposed to be for "all levels" but was mostly hardcore Ashtangis. One teacher seemed bemused when I sat out the parts I wasn't comfortable with, but my experience in the military had taught me to recognize when I need more instruction.

Wow. I don't think I have ever encountered a yoga instructor who didn't at least pay lip service to the ideas of listening to your body and offering adaptations or easier versions of poses. I've encountered some who seemed to be only paying lip service to those ideas, but the large majority of teachers I've worked with seemed to really believe in them. Good for you understanding that better than that teacher.
  • MaintainInTheMembrane
    Options
    I do yoga and always close with corpse pose, during which I meditate. Unless I’m doing chair yoga on Amazon prime, then I’ll close with either a sitting meditation or corpse pose on the bed.

I also meditate separately from my yoga.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    when i teach my aerial yoga classes, we always end with corpse or legs up the wall pose.
    the classes aren't particularily relaxing except our restorative classes.
    as a teacher, i try to respect people's boundaries/abilities, but sometimes, a little extra push is necessary.
    the words "i can't" are not allowed in my class.