Starting from scratch!

Options
So I am starting from the bottom basically. I have recently had a gastric band and plication (in October) and am just starting an exercise routine. I have starting going to aqua aerobics once a week and bought a treadmill. But it’s like my lungs have given up, I feel more unfit than ever! I am struggling to walk for even 15 minutes. This may be exacerbated by ongoing bushfire smoke in my area, but it’s bloody annoying! I play field hockey, and during this off season my goal is to lose weight and improve my fitness for next season.

Does anyone have some exercise ideas for someone starting from scratch? I also want to try and avoid loose skin as much as possible during my weight loss journey, so I am thinking of buying a few weights as well.

Replies

• ellie117
    ellie117 Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    When I began, I just started using the elliptical at whatever pace I felt I could do, but also feel slightly challenged. This is still my go-to cardio routine, but now my intensity and resistance are a lot higher than I ever thought I could do before. It's ok to start out small, then gradually increase resistance, time, incline, etc.

If running is your goal, I've heard a lot of success from the Couch to 5k challenge. http://www.c25k.com/

As for loose skin, that might be harder to work against. A lot is based on your genetic makeup. Lifting and working your muscles definitely won't hurt and will help tighten, but it won't guarantee you won't still see some loose skin, depending on how much excess you carry.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Water aerobics and walking on a treadmill are perfect places to start from scratch. Water exercise is harder than it looks. Consistency will pay off in both areas. Just keep gradually increasing your time, maybe 5 min a week. When I started I could barely walk 1/4 mile and 2 months later I could walk a 5k.
  • avalonblues
    avalonblues Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    Exercise ideas are to start where you are - not where you were, where you want to be or where you think you should be.

Do things you enjoy. Do them on a schedule that is reasonable for your current fitness level (don’t start by going to the gym for 6 hours, 7 days a week).

Do some cardio and some resistant training. Both are good for your health and your weight loss pursuits.

If walking for 15 minutes is where you are-start there and do that. Add a few minutes on days you feel strong. Soon you’ll be adding minutes every time. Then more minutes. Then you’ll go a little faster maybe. Then maybe you’ll want to try a c25k thing or something. But start at the 15 minutes.

FWIW-when I started, I did a remedial C25K program - where I “ran” for 5 seconds, then had to walk for 5 minutes before I could try again. I don’t remember how long it took before I “ran” my first mile. I was “running” at 3.5 mph and walking at 2.4. That was 2011. I’ve now run a marathon, a few half’s, a few 26k, a few 10k’s and I’m not sure how many 5k’s.

It takes time and consistency. And not working yourself to death so you end up so sore and beat up that you can’t move for another week.

Good luck!

There is nothing but GREAT advice in this post.
  • melissafeagins
    melissafeagins Posts: 1,421 Member
    Options
    You can't be more than 7 weeks from major abdominal surgery. You have every right to be short of breath right now. I was short of breath for 3 months after laparoscopic gall bladder removal when I exercised.

So, my advice is start where you are and do what you can. Comparison is a killer.

Walk on your treadmill at your own pace and increase as you can.

Good luck to you.
  • greenolivetree
    greenolivetree Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    You have some great advice here. Something else you may want to try is very short bursts of light activity, like walk in place during commercials if you're watching tv.... or when you head to the bathroom walk a lap in your house or up and down a hallway..... Every little bit will help and you'll see improvement. You can do this! Check back in and let us know how it's going :)
  • jeslz
    jeslz Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    You can't be more than 7 weeks from major abdominal surgery. You have every right to be short of breath right now. I was short of breath for 3 months after laparoscopic gall bladder removal when I exercised.

So, my advice is start where you are and do what you can. Comparison is a killer.

Walk on your treadmill at your own pace and increase as you can.

Good luck to you.

Thank you for this, I often think I should be doing more than I am or further along in recovery but sometimes I just need someone to knock some sense into me that I am only 5.5 weeks into my recovery. Technically I should only be coming off soft food next week, but I have begun eating a regular diet again which means I sometimes forget that my surgery was so recent.
  • DovelyLady
    DovelyLady Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Wow the fact that you are working out less than 6 weeks into your recovery is great!! It will take time for you to build your your endurance to full strength again. Since you are doing 15 mins now you can use that as a base time. So you can slowly add to the base time and build from there.

Great progress!
  • jeslz
    jeslz Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    DovelyLady wrote: »
    Wow the fact that you are working out less than 6 weeks into your recovery is great!! It will take time for you to build your your endurance to full strength again. Since you are doing 15 mins now you can use that as a base time. So you can slowly add to the base time and build from there.

Great progress!

Thank you! :)
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    Options
    You had major surgery right? Your body is still recovering, be gentle and ease into it. Do you go back to the drs. for any follow-ups? They'd be the people to talk to about how much/how fast you can get into exercising. I wouldn't push too much now. As has been said just do what you're comfortable doing. There will be more time later to push yourself if this is wiping you out now.
    Good luck!!!