Joining the military in my late 20s

I am 28, 5’8 and 195lbs. I have a goal/ dream to join either the Army or Air Force but am having a hard time getting back into shape. I know that the PT test consists of sit-ups, pushups and a run and right now I am having the hardest time doing any of those things but I won’t let that discourage me.

Any advice?

Replies

• airforceman1978
    airforceman1978 Posts: 100 Member
    Will I whent into the airforce at 20 as a smoker and out of shape I barely made weight. It good your trying but trust me getting up before dawn to go run and do setups pushups and so many others will get you in shape and the mess hall was not bad food
  • Pickle107
    Pickle107 Posts: 153 Member
    Go to your local recruiters. I believe that some of them will work with interested people, running morning fitness sessions. At the very least, they might be able to help you figure out a basic fitness plan. For the run, try the couch to 5k plan, available everywhere on the web!
  • ecjim
    ecjim Posts: 1,001 Member
    I was in the Army many years ago. at 5'8 195lbs you need to drop weight.
    To get in shape, work on walking, running, hiking with a ruck with some weight, you could use a weight vest. Body weight calisthenics are good, push ups, burpees etc, playing a sport, weight lifting, but don't worry about absolute strength as in power lifting. If you haven't lifted before Starting Strength is a good place to start. You have the PT test reguirements, don't shoot for the minimum, basic will be easier if you exceed that.
    Start with what you can do now , then work to improve
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    There's a free 45 day food and exercise plan just for those in your position:

military.com/sites/default/files/media/military-fitness/2014/11/stew-smith-45-day-beginner-program.pdf
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,454 Member
    Thank you for your desire to serve your country.

As others have mentioned, talk to the recruiter regarding support they can provide to help get in shape to serve. Also, assuming you are talking about US military, there is a new test being rolled out that measures much more functional areas of fitness.

https://www.militaryonesource.mil/military-life-cycle/new-to-the-military/getting-settled/the-army-combat-fitness-test

Here's a summary of what is involved:

Strength deadlift: You must perform a three-repetition deadlift, with the weight increased with each repetition. The weight range of the deadlift is 120 to 420 pounds. The deadlifts replicate picking up ammunition boxes, a wounded soldier, supplies or heavy equipment.

Standing power throw: You will need to toss a 10-pound ball backward as far as possible to test the muscular explosive power that may be needed to lift yourself or a fellow soldier over an obstacle or to move rapidly across uneven terrain.

Hand-release pushups: You will have two minutes to do as many hand-release pushups as possible. Depending on your job, there may be a minimum number you are required to complete. These are similar to traditional pushups, but at the down position you lift your hands and arms from the ground and then reset to do another pushup.

Sprint/drag/carry: You must run five times up and down a 25-meter lane, sprinting, dragging a sled weighing 90 pounds, and then carrying two 40-pound kettlebell weights. This can simulate pulling a soldier out of harm's way, moving quickly to take cover, or carrying ammunition to a fighting position or vehicle.

Leg tuck: Similar to a pull-up, you must lift your legs up and down to touch your knees/thighs to your elbows between one and five times. This exercise strengthens the core muscles.

Two-mile run: This is a timed run to build endurance and cardiovascular strength.
    All of these events must be completed in under 50 minutes.