Dumb question: Do you log artificial sweeteners?

Options
MoonIite
MoonIite Posts: 341 Member
According to the nutritional info on the side of the box, a packet of SugarTwin contains zero calories. That sounds too good to be true. I'm sure has 5 calories, like Splenda.

For those who use artificial sweeteners, do you bother logging it into your food log? or forget about it?

Replies

• ItsMeLori
    ItsMeLori Posts: 346
    Options
    I have, splenda has 4 carbs. Who would have thought..
  • abigailhutch
    Options
    I use Splenda in my coffee.....so I have it set where I log the coffee/splenda and powdered creamer all together!
  • annemcbryan
    Options
    I just add those in mentally since it's small calories. Sugar twin changes when in hot water, which is odd but it changes. Spenda is much better. They say two sugartwins a day, while Splenda you can have like 20.
  • mtgeorgefan
    Options
    I don't log anything that doesn't have calories.... aka: coffee and tea. Artificial sweeteners would probably fall into that. The only reason I can see logging them is so the "Nutrition" part of your diary can refelct correctly... although, not sure if caffeine and stuff counts on the nutrition board?
  • agthorn
    agthorn Posts: 1,844 Member
    Options
    I log my splenda packets, because i only use the ones that have added fiber so I want my fiber totals to be correct. Otherwise, I don't bother.
  • firegirley
    firegirley Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Inotied that when I log my coffee, it had fiber in it...so I try to log it to keep track of that part. Small amount, but still 1 gram adds up a couple times a day!
  • Carlton_Banks
    Carlton_Banks Posts: 757 Member
    Options
    If you are tracking your Carbs, you should log sweeteners in my opinion
  • 623Hernandez
    Options
    I don't log splenda, spices, butter spray, cooking spray, or crystal light. Maybe I should but logging is tedious enough. Maybe at the most adds up to 25 calories a day.
  • kimfield99
    kimfield99 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I don't consume them, but if I did I would track them. I figure it is better to know exactly what I have consumed. When I lost the bulk of my weight (when I was on WW I dropped 65 lbs.) I paid attention to the amount of artificial sweetners and found that I was overusing them to compensate for lousy tasting processed foods - you know sprinkling an extra packet on low carb/cal cinnamon raisin toast instead of just having real cinnamon raising bread. When that wouldn't satify my sweet tooth I would have another serving of the low cal/carb bread with mor efake sugar to make it taste better. The cals weren't from the fake sugar, but the fake sugar made the crappy bread taste better and I would eat more of it. I couldn't figure out why I wasn't loosing and when i looked at my eating habits I realized that I was over indulging in the processed low carb foods. When I started to have a small amount of the real deal sugar it made all the difference and kept me from that kind of over indulging. This was just me though - I don't know if others have had similar experiences. My point is that it probably can't hurt to know what you are putting in your body so that if you need to try and identify trends you have a complete picture of your consumption.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I very rarely drink anything with an artificial sweetener, but when I do, I do not log it. I only log beverages with calories - wine, milk, soy milk, V8, etc.
  • sbwood888
    sbwood888 Posts: 953 Member
    Options
    I dont log it
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    I do, only because I try to log everything that I consume.
  • MoonIite
    MoonIite Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I decided to log it, because of the carb content. Granted, it's not a lot, but it does add up.