It’s all in our heads

Options
I’ve lost 80lbs, and then gained 68lbs back in about 1.5yrs. I was watching my 600lb life and the MD on the show said something that truly resonated with me. He told the weightloss surgery candidate that he needed counseling to get to the true root cause of his emotional eating. This time around, I plan on getting counseling along with diet and exercise... but counseling and diet being my main focus. I have to find a counselor this week. A few days ago I started on MFP, and I’m doing so far so good... but this time I need my thoughts to change more importantly than the scale.
Has anyone else ever felt this way?
Thoughts?
I’m also looking for friends ... new to MFP

Replies

• ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    Options
    I think discovering why we eat the way we do(such as to escape, eat our emotions, self-destructive behaviors, etc.)is very important for this journey. If we can't do it for ourselves, then it's a great idea to have someone help you towards self-discovery. Our self-image and self-esteem can play into every aspect of our lives and I feel it's so very important to have healthy strong ideas of who we are and that we care about ourselves, to be able to tackle this. I grew up thinking of myself as never good enough, hearing others' negative talk about me, so I went out of my way to make myself as unlovable as I felt, becoming a self-fulfilled prophecy I guess. I've gone to several counselors through out my life but never found one I truly connected with that I felt I could share that deeply with. Maybe that's just me and my own weirdness. :/ I've worked through a lot of my baggage on my own and my best friend majored in psychology, worked in social work so she's been a big help. :)
    We are all ever-changing stories and it's up to us to keep rewriting as we see fit. Good luck rewriting your story and staying strong!! I hope you can find a therapist you can connect with and talk with easily. One other thought, I think many of us have lost-gained-lost many times in our past(I know I have)and we just reach a point where we say ok, enough, this is the time I stop fooling myself and turn it all around. That is now for you! Go for it!!