New routine making me feel tired

Options
I've added in some extra exercise this week and it's left me feeling exhausted! I know it's early days so don't know if I should just give it some time to adjust.

I love cardio and walk my dog every day, but wanted to add in some strength training. I prefer fitting it in the morning because if I leave it until later in the day I usually talk myself out of it.

I have only been getting up 10 minutes earlier than normal so I wouldn't think it was that, I'm just making sure I do some strength training instead of wasting time on my phone like I usually would in the morning!

I'm not even doing a lot, 5 min warm up, 10-15 min kettlebell workout, then 5 min cool down/stretching.

I have a shower straight after, then breakfast (eggs on toast usually).

I'm eating at maintenance at the moment (1700 cals a day) 5ft 4 female, 120 lbs, lightly active.

I've started strength training to try and tone up but I'm wondering if it's worth it because I felt better before.

Why am I so tired? Any ideas?

Replies

• tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    It takes me about 3 weeks to adapt to a new routine, so give it time.

You are tired because you are doing more activity.

Also, strength training requires some recovery, so try getting a bit more protein than usual, and maybe a bit more sleep, that should help with the fatigue.
  • Shortgirlrunning
    Shortgirlrunning Posts: 1,020 Member
    Options
    You’ve got to give yourself more time to adjust. I’d give it at least 2-3 weeks before giving up.
  • COGypsy
    COGypsy Posts: 1,181 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty sure exhausted and sore is just the feeling of working out. That being said, when things are especially taxing, I actually find that increasing my carbs helps recovery more as long as I keep protein more or less constant.
  • jasmine_belle
    jasmine_belle Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the encouragement! I'm not very sore, just no energy in the afternoons this week. I love getting the workout done first thing so want to stick to this way if I can. The support has given me a boost, thank you!

My plan is to focus mon upper, tues lower, weds abs, thurs upper, fri lower. I figured if I made it part of my work week routine then I'm more likely to stick to it. Maybe I'm trying too much too soon. I'll keep going for now though.

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,366 Member
    Options
    FWIW, I tend to drop strength training in summer (on-water rowing season ;) ), then (in a good year :lol: ) pick it up again in Winter. For a few weeks, it seems extra tiring.

I see that you want to get in a regular routine, but as an option maybe consider starting with 2-3 days a week full body, with a non-strength training day between for better recovery (i.e., at least 48 hours between strength workouts), then work up from there and later go to a body part split? You could even phase in with lower reps/sets for a while, if that helps. I know that gets you to your goals more slowly, but if the tiredness is very distressing, that might be worth it - only you can say.

If you do decide to try a full-body 1-2 times/week thing, but want to have that "every day" habit, you could consider alternating with something very mild on in-between days, such as stretching/foam-rolling, or gentle yoga, which can be beneficial in other ways.

Do you do other cardio besides walking? Very strength-y cardio (stair climber, spin bike with resistance, rowing, circuits, etc.) might also impair recovery, especially as you're adapting to a new routine.

Just some thoughts.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,950 Member
    Options
    What percentage of the calories you earn from all your exercise are you eating back? If none, there's your answer.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,981 Member
    edited November 2019
    Options
    Some would say that getting tired when working out is a "good thing" and should be expected as an indication that you are actually "working out" and not just going thru the motions.
  • jasmine_belle
    jasmine_belle Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    The thing is, I'm worried that being tired will effect my NEAT. I was ticking along nicely until I added in strength training. I'm not even doing that much so maybe it's something else. I could easily undo my work by being less active for the rest of the day.
  • stephie_nyc
    stephie_nyc Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    You said you added it this week. Fatigue could be related to where you are in your cycle.
  • noblsheep
    noblsheep Posts: 584 Member
    edited December 2019
    Options
    Ditto with giving it a week or two more.

I don't ride my bike during the winter months because the streets are slippery and I'm a wimp. When I pick it up again in spring, I feel super tired for a week or two until my body catches up, which takes maybe two weeks, three if I'm not consistent.

Your body needs to adapt to any kind of new activity to your schedule. Try to ease into it, give yourself days off if needed, and maybe get more sleep.
  • SnifterPug
    SnifterPug Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    Have you changed anything in your diet that could be causing an afternoon slump? Is anything in your life causing extra stress? Yes you do need to get used to a new activity but I would be a tad surprised if a 15 min KB workout would have such a drastic effect on its own unless you're really going hell for leather. If I've worked at max for an hour I might feel sleepy in the afternoon, but it is very unusual. Normally I have more energy rather than less. I found this immediately on starting weights with a PT - there was no bedding in period. Muscle soreness, yes, and dropping off to sleep fast at bedtime, yes. But no slump in the day. I also work out in the morning, fasted.

My bet would be that something else is a major factor in this and the new workout may just be tipping you over the edge.