Women Weight Lifters and Figure Competors

Options
Hi Yall!
My name is Jacqueline, I am 22 and have just recently started my weight loss journey.
I started at 198llb on July 5th 2011, I am now at 190lbs just through eating super clean (mostly organic foods made from mother nature). I have been doing months of research (online and magazines) about weight lifting and I really want to start doing it regularly. I have read that it is just effective if not more than cardio because muscle burns fat. To all the women who are regular weight lifters and figure competors, do you have any advice for me on where or how to begin? I am eating super clean foods and took that approach first but now I need some guidance on what to do to burn fat off my body and build visible muscle at the same time.

THANKS!!!!!!

Replies

• bry_all01
    bry_all01 Posts: 3,100 Member
    Options
    at least a day of rest is equally as important as eating clean and working out. Also, take a day off in between strength training. Best of luck!!
  • drdenise
    drdenise Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    It is great to set goals, to give you something to strive for! I recently competed in my first triathlon at 48 years old.......or I should say completed! It gave me that goal, and I definitely am more fit because of it! To help with clean eating and motivation, I love Oxygen magazine and Clean Eating magazine. Lots of eat recipes!

Push yourself, but don't over train and cause injury. Listen to your body when it says you need to slow down or take a day of rest. Mix up your cardio to keep it interesting and challenging for your muscles and your mind, and I believe it will get you to your goals faster. If you haven't don't weight training previously, get a personal trainer for a few weeks, to get the right technique for different exercises, to help prevent injury.

Good luck!

DrDenise
  • reallivefitness
    Options
    Kettlebells. They are a great way to get into weight training while still keeping it active and fun. :-)
  • rayneface
    rayneface Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I started following Jaime Eason's 12 week plan about 2 weeks ago. I am already seeing huge improvements.

www.bodybuilding.com/livefit

VERY helpful and completely laid out, it's got food covered, recipes, exercises, and suppliments. Best plan I have found that is FREE and extremely easy to follow. You just have to do it.

I 100% recommend anyone wanting to start weight training to give this a try.
  • jereedy1089
    jereedy1089 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Thank you all so much for you advice!!!! It is so helpful!

I have heard the kettlebells are extremely effective! And Jamie Eason is awesome-she is one of my inspirations! I will have to check that out!! THANKS EVERYONE!
  • AngieMcHenry
    AngieMcHenry Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I am 47 and I started running in May 2010. I immediately lost 15 pounds. I recently purchased the Chalean Extreme DVD's from Beachbody.com. They show you how to lift weights and strength train. I am hoping to tone up now that I have most of the extra weight off me. I am really enjoying them.