SLEEP!!! SOOO IMPORTANT!

Options
So... I have been working out 6 days a week for over 6 months. Been eating organic veggies, whole grains and lean proteins. Watching portions, counting calories and, well, doing EVERYTHING RIGHT. Why no weght loss? For the last 8 months I have been sleeping about 4-6 hrs per night. NOT ENOUGH!!!

Jillian Michael's book stressed the importance of sleep. So, I made the effort to sleep minimum 7.5 hrs, and voila... 4 weeks, 14lbs have just fallen off!! Same exercise, same great diet.

GET YOUR ZZZ'S PEOPLE! Or your diet a exercise are a total waste.

Replies

• Michelle9939
    Options
    Yes!! I need my sleep! I usually sleep at least 8-9.
  • 623Hernandez
    Options
    wow!!!
  • DisneyMommy
    Options
    In my dreams will I ever get that much sleep. I am lucky if I get 4 hours per night. I have two disabled children that seem to take turns not sleeping. Sigh.
  • Miqlec
    Miqlec Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    It's very simple. You are not able to eat while sleeping... :)
  • fitmommy2012
    fitmommy2012 Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    You know what....I typically only get about 5-6 hours of sleep too...so I am going to start shooting for 8 and see if that helps me shed the pounds faster..Its interesting how sleep ties so closly in with weight loss....
  • Minnesnowtagurl
    Minnesnowtagurl Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Wow! That's awesome, thanks for sharing!
  • DeeBattle
    Options
    Yes, the folow commenters are correct. That is what was going on with me at first. The doctor stated getting sleep is extremely important while on your journey to weight lost. So, get that sleep in whatever u do. Your health is very important! GOOD LUCK!
  • mermx
    mermx Posts: 976
    Options
    In my dreams will I ever get that much sleep. I am lucky if I get 4 hours per night. I have two disabled children that seem to take turns not sleeping. Sigh.

Aww...that`s hard...I hope it gets easier x
  • iAMaPhoenix
    iAMaPhoenix Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    Sleeping cuts into my exercise and eating back calories time...
  • DisneyMommy
    Options

Aww...that`s hard...I hope it gets easier x
    Thanks so much! But it's been my life for 11 years and likely forever.
  • craek
    craek Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Yay ! I love my sleep! Time to do it more!
  • robynroo
    robynroo Posts: 11
    Options
    it is so true. i'm at the beginning stage of weight loss. but when i sleep more i loose weight, compared to when i don't. ;D
    i usually have 8-9 hours sleep, and even a couple hours during the day. from being exhausted.
    annoyingly, it's going to lack when i go back to college, of only getting 6-7 hours sleep a day. :/
  • mamashatzie
    mamashatzie Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I wish I could get more sleep. My DH rarely lets me fall asleep before midnight (I can't fall asleep while he is still up showering/reading on his phone/etc.), often it's 12:30 or 1 before we get to bed and my son wakes me up around 7. I feel much better with 8-9 hours but it rarely happens that way.
  • mermx
    mermx Posts: 976
    Options
    My best friend years ago...she has moved to Spain 12 years ago...she was a very bad binge eater and weighed only 91lbs...she used to go to bed at 6pm so that she wouldn`t eat anything.

Then she would come to an aerobics class with me in the morning and most times would faint...I hope she has got over it now she has met a Spanish guy got married and had a baby!

I lurrrve my sleep I get to bed about 10.45 and get up at 8.00 :-)
  • Aceface1981
    Options
    I work long shifts 24/7 so my sleep pattern is all over the place varying from as little at 3 or 4 hours sleep some days to 10-12 n others! God knows what that does to my body,,?
  • elinsofie
    elinsofie Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Here are some interesting articles about the connection between sleep and weight:

Sleep loss limits fat loss:
    http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2010/10/101004211637.htm

Sleepiness May Impair the Brain's Inhibitory Control When Viewing High-Calorie Foods:
    http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2011/06/110613093458.htm
  • jaygirl3
    jaygirl3 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    wow. i hardly sleep. four hour max. would start the 8 hours and see how it goes
  • musiche
    musiche Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I work long shifts 24/7 so my sleep pattern is all over the place varying from as little at 3 or 4 hours sleep some days to 10-12 n others! God knows what that does to my body,,?

Gotta do what we gotta do. Men r supposed to get min. 8 hours, so as long as u aim for that, i am sure you u will do fine, whenever u can sleep!
  • musiche
    musiche Posts: 214 Member
    Options

Oh, i wish i could give you some more time. You r inspiring in your dedication to your kids though. Make the most of what you can and all the best of luck to you!
  • HappyLuna
    HappyLuna Posts: 112
    Options
    I cannot funcation unless I have at least 7hrs! 8hrs is much prefered though! I do find I binge more if I have had only 6 or less.

Best get off here and go to bed! Its 10pm and I a running tomorrow morning and at work for 9.30am! (1st day back after the summer hols..going to be painful!)

Sleep is definitely important I think :smile: