Restart

I stopped tracking calories and fitness back in the summer and am feeling ready to give it a shot again. Hard to stay accountable when it’s just me. For people in a similar situation (single, no workout partner), what do you do to motivate yourself to eat right and take the time to work out?

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,953 Member
    I calorie count, adhere to macro goals, and hit my veggie/fruit servings targets to eat right. (I'm helped by finding home-cooked foods, most of them nutrient dense, to be the tastiest things.)

For exercise, as much as possible, I do thinks that I find so much fun I'd do them even if they weren't good for me. Some of them are social, which tends to automagically create workout partners and friends who think being active is fun and good.

I also like being healthy and strong, and as an older person (64), am motivated to stay independent and out of assisted living as long as possible. (Frankly, I think even younger people could profitably consider this part: Your future self will have a much happier life if she is healthy, strong, and at a sensible body weight. My friends who chose different paths have more difficulty now, in many ways.

I was obese for 3+ decades, and only active for about the last decade, before coming to MFP in 2015 and losing to a healthy weight. It's better in so many ways, and worth the time investment.

As a bonus, you will learn subtle life skills from chipping away gradually at a long-term goal. You will then find those skills useful in other realms, like budgeting/saving, developing in your career, maybe advancing your education/certifications, possibly adopting complicated but rewarding hobbies (like learning to play a musical instrument), and more.

Best wishes!